Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I haven't paid attention. What's new and what should I build?  (Read 1544 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
I haven't paid attention. What's new and what should I build?
« on: December 06, 2015, 05:28:27 pm »

Give me the TL;DR on the update, then request what I should build.  First thought is 'bard's college' though having warrior librarians might be fun as well.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: I haven't paid attention. What's new and what should I build?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 05:42:17 pm »

There are books, libraries, taverns, temples, and visitors. Libraries, taverns, and temples are designated as meeting zones, then as locations. Books require sheets, made from either mashed-up pig tails, papyrus, or parchment.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 06:00:07 pm »

So my first instinct was 'Pig tails?  I guess I'll need to get pastures running.'  Though isn't parchment made of animal skin?  If I mod dwarves to butcher goblins, can I make a goblin skin book?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:23:17 pm »

Parchment is animal skin but Papyrus and Paper are both made of plants. Throw a few chests in the library to hold writing material and assign a few scholars and scribes, the scholars make books and the scribes copy them.

As great as a bards college would be I think that mechanically libraries are more interesting. Warrior Libraries combine the two best things, warriors and violence. They also contain books which are basically okay and also more interesting to look at than the various artworks.   

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 06:37:27 pm »

Do libraries attempt any sort of organization?  I'd love to generate a very old world and reconstruct legends mode into the pages of actual books.  Or do you end up with 300 books about how Urist McScribe was once scared by a particularly ugly plump helmet?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 07:01:40 pm »

My current books are an instructional guide to animal remedies, an essay on the process of economic data collection, and a treatiese on the nature of events. My only book about historical events was one ass writing a book about himself killing a goblin.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 08:14:34 pm »

Write what you know.

Do books serve a purpose?  Can they raise skills, be traded, or read for good moods?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 08:19:30 pm »

Raise skills? No, as far as I know. However, masters/apprentices can pass on knowledge, as well as scholarly discussions between equals.

Be traded? Definitely, despite showing up in the "Artifacts" list. (Which is now L, not l. l is now for locations.

Read for good moods? Yep, improves moods to read and learn from a book.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 08:25:42 pm »

Books can pass on values. I think some books specifically write about a certain value, which can change the attitude of the person reading it. Dwarven scholars seem to write about only technological/scientific advancements (from what I've seen). You can buy some books on random topics off caravans.

I'm deeply curious about whether or not necromancers still write books on the secrets of life and death. I crashed a necro tower with ten or so necromancers and, out of the dozens of books inside, didn't find a single one on necromancy. If they still write: Can you copy them in your library? Will dwarves read them and spontaneously become necromancers?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 08:32:02 pm »

Does this mean I could make a culture?  Populate a library with books about determination and strength, and dedicate my scholars to spreading the word of the iron fist!

Admiral Obvious

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 11:00:44 pm »

Probably. If anything of what I determined by adventure mode carries over, you can change others views on things if you are convincing enough about it.

Sure is fun arguing with the local sheriff's about the whole "point" of having laws.

Again, I assume you can change other civ ideas, but that takes quite some time, and a lot of material to pull off.
"I have a rock here for you.  No animals or plants died bringing you this rock.  How fast do you want me to throw it at you?"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 11:04:11 pm »

What about taverns?  Do visitors provide coins or other income, or just a quirky visit?  If they're somehow lost to a cult of blood drinkers, will other visitors arrive?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 11:15:49 pm »

What about taverns?  Do visitors provide coins or other income, or just a quirky visit?  If they're somehow lost to a cult of blood drinkers, will other visitors arrive?
Still no economy but they pay for their stay in other ways.

Relaxing guests pay for their drinks by spilling them occasionally and creating jobs for the fortress. They'll also entertain dwarves sometimes by telling stories or preforming but mostly it seems to be the drink thing.
Poets/bards perform which satisfies certain dwarven needs. They also spill their drinks and create jobs for the fortress. It's mostly the drink thing.
Mercenaries join your fort for the long haul and can be used as regular soldiers or a handy distraction for the gobbos while your actual military prepares.
Long term performers are like short term performers except they stay in your fortress spilling more drinks and creating more jobs.

The reputation of your tavern seems to increase the likelihood of visits and their reasons for coming include "heard [fortress] was the place to relax" instead of just "was curious about [fortress]." I haven't actually lost any patrons so I'm not sure how that would impact visitation.