Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grimm's Questions And Stuff  (Read 2578 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Grimm's Questions And Stuff
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 12:58:09 am »

Nope, that's just kinda how that token works.
Per the wiki --
Shoots a "cloud" of items at the target, leaving piles of this item on the floor. Note that this does not create the actual items or use falling item mechanics (meaning no flying daggers or Touhou-style barrages, unfortunately). Instead, this token acts as TRAILING_GAS_FLOW, except that the material will use its normal temperature - for example, a breath attack of steel anvils will envelop the target in a "burst of steel". Creature will attack as normal.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 01:36:40 am »

I was kind of hoping a "burst of steel" would hurt. Damn. Does that mean there isn't much of a way to do damage with random materials at the moment?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 02:04:04 am »

I would personally go for a SOLID_GLOB gold bar throw. Easier, and fits the earlier gen Payday moves as well.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 02:22:14 am »

No, it's that specific token.
A cloud of gold dust will throw stuff around (probably).
A solid glob of pure gold will whack pretty damn hard.
A cloud of gold gems will fall harmlessly to the ground.

There isn't much of a way to do damage with spontaneously generated items at the moment. There's plenty to do with the materials.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 02:36:39 am »

Yeah, glob is definitely working better as an attack. I'll use that instead.

So far I have a functioning Snubbull which evolves into Granbull and has an ability and some moves, a Beedrill line I want to tweak the poison on more but is otherwise done, and half a Skiddo. I was going for Snubbull, Meowth, Skiddo, Mareep, and possibly Ducklett as standard Common Domestics. Used Gogoat as the default mount mon instead of Ponyta because fire breath on a common domestic seems too powerful.

I feel like I want Meowth to replace Pay Day with Power Gem (basically a beam of light) when it evolves, but I'm not sure there's actually a way to create a beam attack in the game yet. FLOW seems like the only tag that lets you attack with basically nothing, but that only works with fire.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 03:04:28 am »

TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW of a material with a fixed temp above its boiling point.
A cloud of boiling whatever that'll burn anything it hits and then disappear. I think. It might not even last long enough to really hurt anything, I'm not sure.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 02:00:13 pm »

It keeps telling me they're being caught in "magma vapor," but it otherwise doesn't seem to hurt them. Using a solid actually seems to leave only a mild residue, however it pretty much causes instant death via melting.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 06:57:06 pm »

It keeps telling me they're being caught in "magma vapor," but it otherwise doesn't seem to hurt them.
It might not even last long enough to really hurt anything, I'm not sure.
Using a solid actually seems to leave only a mild residue, however it pretty much causes instant death via melting.
Having a glob of lava on you is probably gonna melt you, yes.
The temperatures don't have to be that hot, it just has to be fixed to a temperature that it'll boil at, to make it go away quickly.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 11:20:17 pm »

If you want a more concerted spray, you could experiment with a WEB_SPRAY that instantly boils at room temp.

Maybe try using SOLID_GLOB with 0 cooldown for Power Gem? The effect is rather similar to a scatter beam. You could label the globs as energy pulses, and have the material instantly deteriorate at normal temperature so that you dont end up with energy pulses on the floor.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:21:56 pm by Bearskie »

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 11:45:11 pm »

It keeps telling me they're being caught in "magma vapor," but it otherwise doesn't seem to hurt them.
It might not even last long enough to really hurt anything, I'm not sure.
Using a solid actually seems to leave only a mild residue, however it pretty much causes instant death via melting.
Having a glob of lava on you is probably gonna melt you, yes.
The temperatures don't have to be that hot, it just has to be fixed to a temperature that it'll boil at, to make it go away quickly.

That was what I meant when I said it didn't seem to hurt. I tried a boiling liquid and it didn't seem to hurt at all - it either vanished too quickly or the game put it at a temperature it'd be a liquid at.

When I use a solid in the liquid spray the reason it burns is that the game puts it at a temperature that it would be a liquid at - I didn't put it at a high temperature at all. I think the same problem is happening with the boiling liquid in reverse - the game sees it's a gas at that temperature and is lowering the temperature to be a liquid. I need to experiment more.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 04:56:02 pm »

I have a few other mons that are half-done, but I'd like opinions on these two since I'm not exactly a pro modder and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm doing things terribly inefficiently. Here's Snubbull/Granbull and Meowth/Persian.

Snubbull/Granbull
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bite and Crunch injectable for flinch-chance and defense lowering chance

Snubbull evolution interaction

Intimidate ability and Scary Face attack

Meowth/Persian - Pickup doesn't do anything yet.

Meowth's coin, Persian's gem, and grasping paws for Meowth. He doesn't drop either the coin or gem on death yet.

Near worthless gold for Meowth to throw.

Current material for Power Gem

Evolution

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 09:23:55 pm »

You could save alot of lines by declaring all the common stuff like body tissues and layering under select caste: all, or declaring them before introducing castes. But overall, nice work :) I do notice that scary face doesnt have a wait period though, and not sure if population ratio 0 actually works.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 12:14:39 am »

Okay, thanks! I guess I'll find out if that pop ratio works when I try them out and I hopefully don't get any baby Granbulls.

What would I change to make Persian immune to its own Power Gem (or all Power Gem attacks which I'm assuming is how it has to be done)? He has a tendency to melt himself with it.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2015, 05:06:49 am »

The problem is that your Power Gem deals damage through temperature,  which isn't really able to discriminate between creatures like syndromes and interactions do. Unless you make Persian fireproof like dragons, he'll be burned by the vapour as well.
Pages: 1 [2]