Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grimm's Questions And Stuff  (Read 2572 times)

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grimm's Questions And Stuff
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:35:10 pm »

Alright, so after dropping the game for a long time I'm just now getting back into Dwarf Fortress and so are a few friends of mine - and we all happen to be fans of Pokemon so I decided to try my hand at shoving a few of the loveable critters into the game. I'm going through the tags and stuff and had a few questions before I start.

My idea is that I want to set a material to have a reaction upon being touched which I see I can specify to a specific creature. For example, Fire Stone. I want to make it so that when an Eevee touches a Fire Stone it will be transformed into Flareon, which will be a separate caste under the Eevee creature. I was also going to make it so that the Eevee caste has an interaction so that whenever a Fire Stone is near it, it will automatically go and touch the Fire Stone. However, the material will also have separate effects on different creature types (for example, it would turn Vulpix into Ninetales instead of Flareon).

Glancing at the tutorials and tags these both seem doable. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there's an obvious and better way to do this. Ideally it'd be nice if it could use up the Fire Stone when it did this (I don't want to make it turn to gas or anything because I only want one Eevee to be affected per stone), but I'm not sure this is possible.

Now, when I specify what I want Eevee to go touch, if I were to /just/ specify the material would Eevee go around touching carved Fire Stone walls and anything with Fire Stone (it's probably going to just be a renamed Ruby) set into it? And would Fire Stone embedded in the wall have the same effect or would it be considered unreachable?

Also, if I give the other Eevee castes a 0% spawn rate (since I never want anything but the regular one to be born by default) will other civs still be able to have them?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Running into an immediate problem with my Flareon. I set his temperature to the canonical temperature of his body and he instantly melts when I place him into the arena. The HEATDAM tag seems to work properly if placed outside the CASTE tags, but I need only the Flareon caste to be immune to heat damage.

Also for some reason he's called Eevee and not his caste name in arena - and Eevee's have F as their symbol instead of E like I have set.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Editeditedit: Alright, looks like I was just missing [MELTING_POINT:NONE][BOILING_POINT:NONE] and [IGNITE_POINT:NONE]. Now the only problem is... If I put him in water he'll turn some of the water to steam for a bit, but then nothing. I'm assuming his body cools down after a while? If I remove him and put him back in the water there won't be any more steam either. How do I fix this?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:29:28 pm by Managrimm »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Grimm's Questions And Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 04:40:07 pm »

Editeditedit: Alright, looks like I was just missing [MELTING_POINT:NONE][BOILING_POINT:NONE] and [IGNITE_POINT:NONE]. Now the only problem is... If I put him in water he'll turn some of the water to steam for a bit, but then nothing. I'm assuming his body cools down after a while? If I remove him and put him back in the water there won't be any more steam either. How do I fix this?
I can at least answer this one.
It looks like you've set his temperature using HOMEOTHERM, which actually defines a homeothermic temperature (hence the name..) and not their radiant heat.
I'm surprised it even did anything in the first place, honestly.
You want to assign a MAT_FIXED_TEMP to his materials.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 06:48:14 pm »

Ah, thank you!

Now, my other issue I'm now having is that I only wanted one caste to be made of these materials, however I realized materials are defined on a creature level. The result is that Eevee is now fireproof, when it very much should not be. Is there a way to fix this without making Flareon a separate creature (since I need Flareon to be able to create Eevee pups)?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:46:55 pm »

BODY_DETAIL_PLAN is caste level. Define another set of materials and tissues with unique names (eg. SKIN_FLAREON), and then use that in the arguments instead. Best I can think of off the top of my head.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:14:03 pm »

That was the last thing I had tried, but the Eevee was still stubbornly refusing to be set on fire. I'm thinking this might get a bit complex so I benched him for the second in favor of some easier mons while I'm getting back in the swing of things.

In happier news, my Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill line is almost done and ready to be shared. The only thing I can't get working is this stubborn material emission for Beedrill's "Toxic Spikes" attack. It's supposed to splat some liquid on the ground that will cause a few effects if you step on it with bare feet, but Beedrill won't use it. He used it fine when I used his local venom, but I needed it to have different effects.

The severity values listed for the syndromes are just placeholders.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:16 pm »

You can't use templates directly like that. Their purpose is to give a whole bunch of similar materials (all the skins from different animals are different materials based on one template, for example) the same properties.

You have a couple of options here.
1) Make it into an INORGANIC. This is defined separately from any creatures that would use it.
[CDI:MATERIAL:INORGANIC:TOXIC_SPIKES:SPATTER_LIQUID]

2) Properly initialize a local material based on that template
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TOXIC_SPIKES:TOXIC_SPIKES_TEMPLATE]
and properly call it.
[CDI:MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TOXIC_SPIKES:SPATTER_LIQUID]

Make that into an INORGANIC instead.
Or, if you plan on adding more things that have those properties, initialize the local material and then properly call it
(You can do that even if that's the only usage case you have planned for it, of course, but that's bad form. Not that it really matters substantially.)

Are you looking at your errorlog.txt while you do this? If something gets written to it, it's usually important. (This one should be throwing an error about how that line doesn't make any sense to the interpreter.)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:40:45 pm by Jay »

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:53:04 pm »

Wow, you're prompt!

Yeah, I check the errorlog religiously. Sometimes the second I summon the creature just to make sure everything is attaching correctly. It wasn't giving me any errors for that. : /

But it works great now! Thanks a bunch. I just need to figure out the severity values I want and it's done. Is there a guide or list somewhere explaining severity? I thought it was tied to creature size, but I'm assuming this material would disregard that. What value would I want if I wanted a mild amount of bleeding and moderate fever, for example?

Right now the human is just walking around vomiting non-stop. xD

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 09:19:48 pm »

My "extensive" modding knowledge ends with 40d. I'm only just now fully getting the hang of working with materials/tissues/bodies in the new manner. Interactions and syndromes I've mostly not even gotten to yet.
Even still, I'm pretty sure those numbers are still mostly just trial and error, or stealing them from effects that you know work.
Best I can do is point you at the Wiki, which doesn't really help much.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 10:21:38 pm »

Alright. I'll mess around with it for a while then. Thanks for all the help!

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 02:43:33 am »

Not sure if it's okay to double-post, but if I don't no one will probably notice my question?

Anyway, I'm having trouble with this attack. The injectable material is meant to give Bite (an attack from Pokemon) a chance to cause paralysis for about one turn (still working out how many ticks that'd be for the average beastie) to simulate the "flinch" effect from the game, but the creature just won't inject it. Whenever it bites it just says that the material splatters everywhere. Which is amusing considering it's named "saliva" and the Pokemon in question is a bulldog, but not what I need it to do.

As before, the severity and such are placeholders until I can actually test the material.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:08 am »

I think you need [ENTERS_BLOOD] somewhere within the material.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 12:34:26 pm »

Oof, classic case of pasting something into the wrong spot. Disregard.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:10:50 pm by Managrimm »

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 01:19:11 pm »

Oh, lol. When I editted out my last question I also edited out me saying thanks and that the last thing was working properly now after adding [ENTERS_BLOOD]. xD Whoops.

Anyway, having some trouble with this material emission if someone could help. I'm sure I'm just formatting it wrong. It was working fine when I was using a solid glob so the custom body part is working fine.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 09:11:42 pm »

Pretty sure that should be:
 [CDI:MATERIAL:INORGANIC:PYRITE:TRAILING_ITEM_FLOW:SMALLGEM:NONE],
although it would help to know what the trouble was.

Managrimm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 12:09:39 am »

Oh! Sorry. They just weren't using the interaction, actually. Now it works (I changed it to a near worthless gold and added your fix), but it doesn't actually seem to hurt anyone. I thought it'd be more like getting hit with a solid burst of the material, but it seems like it just puts gold dust on everything?

I was trying to put Meowth's signature attack (shooting gold coins) into the game and I figured I wouldn't be able to make the proper gold coins, but I thought it'd at least hurt the enemy. Am I doing something wrong?
Pages: [1] 2