Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves don't seem to want to pick up quivers  (Read 1767 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves don't seem to want to pick up quivers
« on: October 29, 2015, 12:28:52 am »

I have a squad with uniforms using crossbows. I have bolts set to be used for training. I have an archery range and barracks both set for training, with the barracks set to be for the respective squad. I have tons of bolts, and quivers. Yet my marksdwarves grab everything but quivers/bolts and start doing dodging exercises. What am I missing?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves don't seem to want to pick up quivers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:17:47 am »

Crossbow dwarves are significantly bugged, so I don't use them, while others do. One possibility in your case is bins, as bolts stored in bins cause trouble for marksdwarves. Also, designating different kinds of bolts for training and war usually/frequently doesn't work, so stick with a single type for everything.

Zealord

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT:SUBURBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:07:53 am »

Did you actually try and search the forums or wiki before creating a thread?
This is great.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:31:59 am »

Crossbow dwarves are significantly bugged, so I don't use them, while others do. One possibility in your case is bins, as bolts stored in bins cause trouble for marksdwarves. Also, designating different kinds of bolts for training and war usually/frequently doesn't work, so stick with a single type for everything.

I have had the bolts both in bins and out of them, and have just plain bolts designated as both combat and training.

Did you actually try and search the forums or wiki before creating a thread?
And the list of known bugs. I could not find a suitable explanation other then "crossbows are bugged", but I know that people have gotten their dwarves to fire arrows, so I figured this was something I am doing specifically wrong. I just can't figure out what.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 03:57:20 am »

The wiki has a guide that tells of a way to get them to train. I believe you have to give them a schedule that has only one person minimum, but assigned individually to each marksdwarf, and then assign the squad to train in an archery range and NOT a barracks. Something like that.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 05:50:19 am »

I have no problem with marksdwarves.

- Assign them crossbows individually.  I actually assign all equipment piece by piece, because of reasons, but all you need for this exercise is to tell each marksdwarf, This Specific Weapon Is Your Weapon.

- Assign them a barracks.  Dodging is the #1 most important skill for all military dwarves, and shield use is #2.  Marksdwarves don't get either of these skills at archery ranges.  This reduces the amount of time they spend practicing archery, but vastly improves their survival rate overall.

- Ensure your targets are facing the correct way.  This is the second biggest mistake I've made.  The squad also needs to be assigned to each separate target.

- The biggest mistake I've made is not assigning bolts correctly.  You must assign bolts to the squad in the ammunition screen.  It's best to un-assign bolts from hunters and just have no hunters.  Conflict between hunters and marksdwarves both needing the same bolts is the source of most of my past grief.  Be sure to give the squad ENOUGH bolts.  Give them 300, which is enough for 30 bolts per dwarf.  Usually they will carry only 25, but I've seen them pick up extras from time to time.

- It is not necessary to change the number of dwarves assigned to train in the scheduling screen.  I find that they actually train LESS if I mess around with scheduling.

Newly-drafted marksdwarves will not hit the archery range immediately, and may never do so if they have no barracks.  They need to teach themselves a bit of crossbow skill first, and they do that doing individual drills at the barracks.  If you wait a little while, you'll eventually see them in the ranges.  Legendary marksdwarves chew through my ammo as quickly as I can make it.  Less skilled ones spend less time at the range.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:52:33 am by Daris »

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 06:51:19 am »

My marksdwarf squads ALL start as hunters, when enough hit +5 (usually 7/10) I make a squad.
I usually only give them 2 targets, their already +5 so it saves me bolts.
Free food,leather, only the strong survive, medical training for the doc,
BONUS: enough hunters and they hunt in packs of 4 to 6  :o
 Giant what? Oh its dead.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 09:24:22 pm »

There is an obvious solution no one yet mentioned:

backpacks.

You need a backpack to manage items in adventure mode: it holds things that your two hands don't. The same is true in fort mode: soldiers carry waay to much stuff to manage without one. As such, with a crossbow and a cooked meal or a waterskin in hand, the archers won't be able to grab quivers without a backback
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 01:13:23 pm »

Without a backpack, they don't carry food.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!