Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [EMOTION AND DESIRE UPDATE] - The magic of Love, hate, and self-sacrifice.  (Read 7111 times)

G1Radiobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [EMOTION AND DESIRE UPDATE] - The magic of Love, hate, and self-sacrifice.
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2015, 08:45:59 pm »

Why don't we solve this the Anglo-Saxon way? Whenever someone gets into a feud with someone else over things like this, they can pay a price to the ruler of the other party to forcefully end the feud. This also can be regulated by personality traits, so some would be more likely to go bonkers at an entire race, and others would be more likely to pay a ransom to end the feud, or just refuse to continue it all together. Of course a lot of traits would fall into that and it would be really hard to figure out formulas for all that.
Just wanted to say this is the first time I've ever felt safe clicking a link that says "Animal Sexuality".
Aiming is for humans.  A true dwarf just arranges for the targets to be standing in the right place at the right time.

Enchiridion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 02:19:45 pm »

stuff
Yeah I noted that at one point. I'm sure that all could be well adjusted to becoming motivators and such. Right now there aren't rly that many chances for it to shine.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2015, 12:46:50 am »

Yeah I noted that at one point. I'm sure that all could be well adjusted to becoming motivators and such. Right now there aren't rly that many chances for it to shine.

Perhaps not now but when toady next does a relationship rewrite I imagine that these traits will be what he will use as primary motivators.

The reason I bring personality traits up is that your suggestion talks about love, hate and self-sacrifice which are already personality traits and emotional reactions are based off of these traits already, an example being STRESS_VULNERABILITY which has already been proven to influence how dwarfs handle stress in fort mode, its just that there not a lot in-game for these trait to interact with so imho I think basing all you ideas off of personality traits is for the best.

I suppose my problem is more what you've called your idea rather then what your idea is.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek
Pages: 1 2 [3]