Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gypsy werebeasts  (Read 1396 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gypsy werebeasts
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:43:53 pm »

So... I have started keeping Legend Viewer open with an export of my world while I play.  That way I am able to read the events depicted on my engraved walls, figure out which mobs are coming to visit, and so forth.

The first werebeast that came to my fort was associated with a lair on the other side of a Large Region world... sort of like if I lived in New York and the local criminals left me alone, but I got attacked by someone who had traveled from Brazil to do so.  What the hell?  Do the associations with lairs happen once and mean nothing, or is the creature theoretically supposed to live in/around his "lair"?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Gypsy werebeasts
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 05:51:35 am »

Entities travel quickly in the world map but I didn't think they traveled that quickly

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:42:11 pm »

Yes, I was pretty surprised when I checked out the location where the creature was supposed to live!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 08:53:04 am »

Sorry for the necro - it seems like werebeast attacks are still instant, I had saved moments before one entered the map, after it was dead I was curious to see if I could infect a dwarf so I savescummed only to have a different werebeast come (and I thought the world was only full of werelama!)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 09:47:25 am »

Well, they are only werebeasts for one night...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 10:36:05 am »

Megabeast and night creature attacks are handled the same way as caravan/diplomat visits and migrant waves - at the beginning of the season, the game decides that it's going to happen and sets a timer, and the event happens once the timer runs out.

Notably, megabeast and night creature events simply choose a random "eligible" (i.e. able to survive in your fortress's biome) creature from anywhere in the world and make it instantly appear at your doorstep.

Sieges used to work the same way back in 0.34.11 and earlier, but 0.40 changed them to actually use armies moving across the overworld. Megabeasts and night creatures may eventually be adjusted in the same way, but not today.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 10:43:58 am »

Ah, that's how I was able to get a male giant, when the only one in the world lived on an island.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 11:18:40 am »

I wonder if when the tavern update comes out visitors will spread rumours of armies marching towards your fortress.