Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too many turtle shells!  (Read 11815 times)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many turtle shells!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 12:30:30 am »

Great advice, thanks everyone. I guess I'll just forbid them from my stockpiles and build crafts from them; thats what most people seem to be saying.
decorating is easier to manage  than creating crafts bud
Possibly true, but doing either/both of decorating or crafts is a perfectly reasonable solution to the 'too many shells' issue.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 01:01:35 pm »

Great advice, thanks everyone. I guess I'll just forbid them from my stockpiles and build crafts from them; thats what most people seem to be saying.

Build a Craftshop next to the stockpile where you put your goblin clothing/etc, assign only your Bonecarver to that workshop (in the workshop [q] [p]rofile), and decorate that stuff w/ shells. It turns a 200 value GCS loincloth into YOUR 210 value GCS loincloth - that's how you best boost fort "created wealth".

(You can also manipulate what you decorate using DFHack and the [Alt+a] command, but unless it's [r]epeatable it's a bit of a pain.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 01:12:35 pm »

Alternately, shells can be used to make a coinstar room. Not advisable with FB shells, obvoiusly.
One wheel short of a wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 01:32:18 pm »

I'd advice against coinstars, since they're now usually injuring the dorfs, at least unarmored civilians. I had one at the entrance to the mess hall when the rules changed, and there were a number of broken bones and confused searches for foreign objects in it before I realized it's was no longer practical (unless you want to keep your otherwise idle medical dorfs busy, and don't mind some total losses).

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 01:38:26 pm »

Possibly true, but doing either/both of decorating or crafts is a perfectly reasonable solution to the 'too many shells' issue.

O  RLY?

And so how long until we get the "Too many turtle-shell crafts!" thread? Do I really have to remind you that crafts produce 1-3 trinkets?

So, you're suggesting he solve the "too many shells" problem by doubling the number of useless items they represent.

VERY dwarfy.

Decorating combines the shells into a pre-existing item. Decorate >> Crafting.

(And before you suggest the obvious, if he only wanted to trade them he could dump all the shells as-is on merchants rather than haul twice the number of crafts to the Depot.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:41:00 pm by Albedo »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 01:40:27 pm »

You can then mod in a reaction to make turtle shell craft fragments, each craft producing 1-3 fragments when smashed at a craftsdwarf's workshop, and a reaction to make turlt eshell splinters, each fragment producing 1-3...
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:27 pm »

The point is that you can keep like fifty crafts in a bin. And you don't have to have other export goods to do the decorating to if you just make crafts. And you can decorate the shell crafts.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 03:31:14 pm »

You can't decorate shell crafts with shell, though. Unless it's a different kind of shell.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 02:26:30 pm »

Seriously just decorate. It takes two items and makes them one. Making crafts takes one item and makes it three. This will only make MORE ITEMS.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]