Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My zombies killed the prisoners - any worries?  (Read 1773 times)

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My zombies killed the prisoners - any worries?
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:06:37 pm »

So my character is a necromancer now  8). I've raised a band of zombies and attacked that slade tower, where the goblins keep the prisoners.

So I went to the basement and some of the prisoners are clearly visible, not behind locked doors or anything.

And guess what, my zombies killed them as soon as they saw them!  ::)

Should I be worried? Should the prisoners' parent civilization hate me now? Any bad consequences?
Or am I missing out on a good reward for rescuing the prisoners?

And while we're at it, will anyone start hating me because my zombies are dumb thugs attacking everyone in sight?

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
Re: My zombies killed the prisoners - any worries?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 04:02:19 pm »

The prisoners' families will only know if you tell them and they'll blame the zombie not you, so you'll be fine. Though zombies being [OPPOSED TO LIFE] and all will attack everyone they encounter who isn't also undead. I believe you can tell them to wait somewhere nearby so you can round up the prisoners but until you get them back to their families, or at least somewhere safe, keep them away from you zombies. The only benefit from rescuing prisoners is a large reputation gain with their civ, that honestly doesn't really give you anything though. People will randomly say positive things about the stuff you've done.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:04:16 pm by ClorrProdigal »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:32:23 pm »

Your missing out on the adorable parent-child reunions, that's what.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:54:02 pm »

Well, there isn't much point in doing anything other than to see it happen at this stage of the game.  There isn't anything that unlocks or new weapons you can buy when you get rich or famous enough. 

So, basically, yeah, you should try doing it just to see how heroic your death horde is going to be treated.

As a bonus, try to make a necromancer become head of some civ or something, or found a new necromancer "tower".  See how far you can get running a town on your fame while trying to keep your zombies around, but not eating your peasants.  (And try to make the position of baron available via "unfortunate accidental zombie infestation" that you can declare your candidacy for baron the solution to.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:38:32 am »

Should I be worried? Should the prisoners' parent civilization hate me now? Any bad consequences?
Or am I missing out on a good reward for rescuing the prisoners?

And while we're at it, will anyone start hating me because my zombies are dumb thugs attacking everyone in sight?

Even if they did, you've got an army of zombies now. Who cares what they think! Zombies are so ludicrously overpowered that even a small batch is enough to take down pretty much anything short of megabeasts or clowns.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 06:17:12 am »

Even if they did, you've got an army of zombies now. Who cares what they think! Zombies are so ludicrously overpowered that even a small batch is enough to take down pretty much anything short of megabeasts or clowns.
And even then.... Well, it is inevitable.

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 11:53:08 am »

...I believe you can tell them to wait somewhere nearby so you can round up the prisoners but until you get them back to their families, or at least somewhere safe, keep them away from you zombies...

I tried to tell the zombies to wait. No reaction. No result.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but zombies don't react to speech at all. I can't even give them weapons, because they don't even react to the "give/take personal items" trade option.
Well, at least some of the prisoners are behind locked doors, so they didn't get massacred.

DF version 0.40.16. But as of today, I haven't found any fixes for this in the new version's announcements.

...Zombies are so ludicrously overpowered that even a small batch is enough to take down pretty much anything short of megabeasts or clowns.

Yes, I was hoping to test my horde against some megabeast or clown. But I can't imagine actually finding any in Adventure mode, the rumors have not helped so far. At some point, I guess I'll try opening the circus in Fortress Mode first - I don't know any easier, more reliable way to get to the clowns in Adventure Mode.