Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How did we find out about video games in 2005?  (Read 1448 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: How did we find out about video games in 2005?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 03:06:10 pm »

I don't remember seeing commercials for games, really. Not until Halo came out. I just rented games that looked cool and bought them if they were good, or if my friends or dad or brother said they would be good.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 03:21:38 pm »

They used to come out seasonally.  Heavy advertising for game products hit around christmas, and over summer vacation.

Nintendo and Sega especially did VERY AGGRESSIVE marketing in the 90s for their consoles.  Youtube is full of vintage advertisement footage. I can still hear the "Genesis does!" music if I think about it.

Due to the durability (and price!) of cartriges in the era (since compact discs were not really a mainstay until the late 90s, and game consoles were slow to adopt them.) many kids would bring them over when they visited their friends, and play each other's favorite games that way.

(One of the things I find particularly insidious about the current trend of trying to lock game purchases to physical consoles by console makers of late, is that it sabotages this early dynamic I remember fondly.)

Game commercials almost ALWAYS were totally over-hyped-- but they DID let you know that a game existed.  The usual strategy used by kids in my generation was to see the commercial, then ask your classmates if anyone had purchased the game and played it. Then ask that kid if it was any good or not. 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:24:42 pm by wierd »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:47 pm »

Constantly going to video game stores. Magazines. Ads on TV. Word of mouth. Constantly going to video game stores.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 10:29:02 pm »

I didn't know of video games before the internet. I had like, the N64, and sometimes a friend might mention a game being good. But other then that it was just occasionally go to a video game and pick up a game totally randomly. Probably partially why I wasn't a huge video game player for various parts of my life. Luckily though I was so bad at videos as a child... It was unbelievable. A few of the big ones, Mario 64, Banjo kazooie, and Ocarina of time, and a bit of trying to unlock new levels in Yoshi story (I actually just now looked up how to unlock the levels.... I was totally wrong for the last 15 years...) took me though most of my childhood practically. Although It probably didn't help that I could only play games a few days a week. But still, these games took me years to fully go though. And so I guess I had no need to know of other games.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 01:38:03 am »

In 2005? Word of mouth. E3. Internet. Looking through stores.

2005 was just before the Wii came out. I think it was already announced as the Nintendo Revolution by that point. Made a decision to buy TES:Oblivion (2007) based on a banner add on GameFAQs. There were some commercials. I found out about Crystal Chronicles (2004) during a movie preview, of all things.

Back before then I relied more on word of mouth and stores. Everyone would be talking about the new Pokemans or Smash Bros., and I learned of several games by playing them at my friends' houses. Blockbuster had a bunch of N64 games to rent. I think that continued into the Gamecube era. I know I rented Pikmin. Electronics stores had areas where you could demo games. There were a bunch of PC game demos on the internet (MegaUpload?) and on CDs, too. Played an Age of Empires trial that came bundled with a bunch of others back in around 1998. Maybe the trials even came installed on my Windows 98, I don't recall.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:52:16 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 03:28:36 am »

By 2005 I've already been playing MMORPGs for 7 years, so finding out about games online would have been easy.
Before internet became cheap enough for casual surfing (around 2000) I'd have used magazines. My siblings and me were all subscribing different magazines from our allowances and shared them.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 04:53:45 am »

How did we find out about video games in 2005?

This part of we found out about them on the internet.

By 2005 I've already been playing MMORPGs for 7 years, so finding out about games online would have been easy.

8 years, but pretty much this, yes.

Though to be fair, in the 90s I was finding out about games mostly by word of mouth. Occasionally by physically walking into stores. Bookstores, mostly. I don't think we had any dedicated game stores back then.

Before internet became cheap enough for casual surfing (around 2000)

In my case I was on the internet before we had a subscription service. Contact the local college via modem for access to telnet, gopher, etc. then tunnel to www via winsock. A few years after that AOL and Compuserve started to become popular, but I was never a subscriber and for a long time there were were always free internet solutions for anybody who knew how to use AT commands. I actually don't remember when I made the switch to cable.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 05:32:57 am »

I used to buy magazines about video games in 2005. We had internet, but back then it was very slow and very expensive.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 05:39:37 am »

In 2005, I downloaded a ton of demos. I primarily played games just by googling random demos, since we were a bit strapped for cash and couldn't afford much in the way of games. Demos were a great way to play a very diverse amount of games without spending much money. Our internet was so slow that I often had to leave games downloading overnight, and mom was always aggravated that the desktop was constantly covered with icons for games that I only played once or twice. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 [2]