Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front page changes for dwarf mode?  (Read 1039 times)

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Front page changes for dwarf mode?
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:27:58 am »

Just came back and checked the front page for updates, reading about prayer and dancing and such.  Just wondering is this all for fortress mode?  If so it sounds like a ton more micromanagement that will have to be done to the dwarves just to get things done in the day.  As it is I mostly ignore all there details, just throw in a waterfall, some statues, carve everything, and they all stay happy and productive.   Will that still be feasible for me so I can just focus on building, or will these new changes cause so much mental damage to the dwarves I wont be able to do things?

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Front page changes for dwarf mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:38:57 am »

Honestly?  To me it's been sounding more like your dining hall can double as a tavern, your statue garden a prayer location, and both will pull double duty for making your dwarves more productive (or you could make 4 distinct locations).  Idle time spent fulfilling needs will boost work speed afterword.  Suppose we'll see.
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:42:28 am »

We'll be getting temples, libraries, and taverns in fortress mode. The dwarves will have needs which can be met in these places. If you fail to provide them your dwarves will get a skill penalty (down to 50%) and stress, if you do provide them they'll get a skill boost (up to 150%) and stress relief. I doubt there will be a lot of micromanagement to get these places running and they'll help in the long run.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:33:30 am »

From what I understand the festivals will not require any additional micromanagement, perhaps except for providing dwarves some instruments, but that shouldn't be a big deal. They'll replace the generic "organized party at..." thing, and will be done during their off time as it is now.

I imagine that finally instruments will have some use, and I'll be able to turn my legendary cheese and potash makers into bards who will make the whole fortress happy with their masterwork golden harps :)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:24:20 pm »

Shoot, I personally welcome any and all additional managing things. I normally end up being bored with fully equipped dwarfs and nothing to kill or do, so adding this will make things significantly more fun for me.

Just in my opinion.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03:03 pm »

It's looking to me like taverns and temples will only require extra work if you want them to look good.
I haven't seen any mention of requirements for furniture or anything, so it would seem all you need to do is designate a zone and leave it to do its job.

Of course it's impossible to know for sure until we actually get the release.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 10:51:42 pm »

These new features would just give actual content to "break", and "throwing party", so they arn't likely to affect gameplay at all, meanwhile they would add flavor. So it is good.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.