Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apparently this guy is not a vampire...  (Read 2218 times)

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Apparently this guy is not a vampire...
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:37:20 pm »

So I am not sure about this guy, I was going to assign him a room near the clothier shop but it said he already had a room. Having just assigned bedrooms to important farm related dwarfs I know for a fact this guy has not been assigned or taken a room. Obviously I assumed he was a vampire and when I saw his relations, covered below in the spoiler, I was instantly convinced of his guilt. Wanting to be sure I nicknamed him Vampire test and checked all three of the deities he worshipped and not one said they cursed him. Confused I checked him out in dwarf therapist and he is either a regular dwarf or a terrible vampire: he has never killed anyone, he has no social skills, in fact his only skill is being a novice lye maker, and he Has drank beer within the last month or so because he was complaining about it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what do you you think dwarf fortressers? He drinks beer and is otherwise a useless dwarf, so his he a vampire or his he just a weird dwarf with a stupidly long list of relations, most of which are objects of worship.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently this guy is not a vampire...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:47 pm »

This happens. At least I got lots of migrants with no relatives but gods.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:38:44 pm »

Yeah, but... that's a lot of gods. And they're not all dwarven gods either - in fact most of them seem to be human or even elven, by their names: Nithe is an elven name, as is Caqui; Cobim is human; Oxno is goblin...

Either this is modded so goblins have gods, or this dwarf worships literally every megabeast, titan, and forgotten beast in the world. Either way, that's a crazy amount of worship - I'd look into this guy's story just out of interest.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:43:22 pm »

Yeah, but... that's a lot of gods. And they're not all dwarven gods either - in fact most of them seem to be human or even elven, by their names: Nithe is an elven name, as is Caqui; Cobim is human; Oxno is goblin...

Either this is modded so goblins have gods, or this dwarf worships literally every megabeast, titan, and forgotten beast in the world. Either way, that's a crazy amount of worship - I'd look into this guy's story just out of interest.

Other than a making other civilization playable this is the standard dwarf fortress that comes with the lazy newb pack. It should be noted most of those are not deities, they are objects of worship, he only worships three deities.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:48:21 pm »

That just happens with active megabeasts and such. I had the other side of the problem due to having used armoks_blessing on a group of 20 starter dorfs to get the groundwork done fast, then I had a migrant show up with all legendary stats, assumed he was a vamp, confirmed he wasn't, ended up developing a sort of backstory for him and other later migrants that arrived the same way, current playing with his daughter and wife in adventurer mode. That's them in my avatar!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:31:19 am »

Oh, by the way, I have stopped checking migrants for vampires a while ago. Haven't seen any vampire beard since 40.xx.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 09:12:41 am »

I've seen vampires but not vampire dwarves. The number of vampires/werebeasts in your world is primarily controlled by the ratio of vamp curses to were curses in worldgen.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:37:59 am »

I've gotten on a run of vampires in one world that I genned in .40.24, but there seems to be a LOT less of them.  Other worlds I haven't seen any.  Either the gods have raised the bar for what it takes to curse people, or they are stuck on werebeasts (my preferred answer).
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 02:12:57 pm »

Oh, by the way, I have stopped checking migrants for vampires a while ago. Haven't seen any vampire beard since 40.xx.

Really?
My 13th first successful fortress had a vampire in the second wave.

I flushed him down into the mines through a broken cistern along with a forgotten, three eyed, venom spitting, parrot beast thing.
It was both my first vampire kill and first forgotten beast kill.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:48:04 pm »

I've not had a vampire dwarf in a while, but the Human Law-Giver for the local human civ is, he's rather pleasant and polite though. I find it rather funny that up until now I'd manually check every migrant as they arrived, always miss the vampire then end up with a few dead dwarves and a fantastic scapegoat for tantrum damages, the very moment I started to use Dwarf Therapist and the cheaty "show night creatures" option I get not one Vampire...

...what I'm trying to say is I really miss my vampires, and it only goes to show, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 04:15:10 pm »

I've only had one vampire in my entire dwarf fortress career of 5 years :P Likely because I tend to play on small/pocket worlds with a 300 year history to avoid fps death, but still. Next big update, I'll probably spend some time generating vampire and necromancer adventurers and settling them in the big hall to ensure some undead visitors come.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 05:52:22 pm »

With being a dubious worshiper of every deity in existence, he reminds me of that one guy from The Mummy.

I've only ever had one vampire, and he was my civ's king who didn't even try to hide it. Then again, I've only had two long running forts since vampires existed.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 06:10:06 pm »

You can't be sure he's not a vampire until you have performed !!SCIENCE!! on him.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 08:32:08 pm »

Funny story about my first presumed vampire guy who was just super legendary and awesome apparently, after I stole him to adventure with (my first time playing adventurer mode) I ended up finding one of the few vampires on that world and figured what the heck, so I beat the goblin vamp down... and then I realized I had no idea how to actually become one.

The duke of my fort, super buff, grizzled, decked out in artifact armor, a platinum war hammer swinging bogey-killing machine stands there holding a vampire corpse as the voice in his head which controls him insists he do something he really doesn't want to do.

You lick the goblin vampire corpse.

"...yikes, sorry about that bro... maybe try to drink some of the blood?"