Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [ISG] The Elder Scrolls: Windhelm  (Read 4515 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] The Elder Scrolls: Windhelm
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 06:53:25 pm »

Cousin, why don't we set up a carriage service?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2015, 07:08:01 pm »

You know what is the best business for wartime? Coffins. Someone's got to do it. Suggest that to the cousin.

If he dosen't like the idea then we could pitch this idea.

Go to an Orchish stronghold and set up a contract with a reliable Orc to supply only us with Iron. Once we've secured the iron we can sell it to the highest bidders in the weapon smithing businesses. Of course a side quest is going to be needed.

The Ham-Mer don't really go into business with people they don't respect, and we arn't exactly a great warrior.

Perhaps we could get into contact with a Khajit trading caravan? Chances are that they have a hard time finding an "in" with cities, we could be a middleman.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:32 pm »

*sigh*

"Okay, fine then. Did you at least manage to benefit from this deal?"

I was also thinking along the lines of an agreement with the orcs at Narzulbur. We'll have to get some equipment and supplies before we do that though.

Ninja'd: That would also be a good idea, and would likely be easier to sort out than a trip to the orcs. If we have enough money, we could perhaps purchase a stand and hire a nord to sell Khajit goods. We ourselves might even be able to join a caravan, if the dice favor us and we want to.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 01:08:28 am »

Perhaps we could get into contact with a Khajit trading caravan? Chances are that they have a hard time finding an "in" with cities, we could be a middleman.

Well.. since we seem like a classical example of a Dunmer, we are bound to see them as even below man. Not the best starting point for a middleman.
On the other hand, Khajit? Thing is, "not getting enslaved" is kinda a big deal to them until recently. Guess who was behind that. Yepp. Dunmer.

So, really, not saying it couldn't happen. Just that it might pose more of a challenge than we thought.

Ask what he spent the money on, and what the terms for it were.
Or what he is expected to do in return.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 05:59:46 pm »

Alright. Already in debt. You can still fix this.

Find somebody completely unrelated to our cousin and the Camonna Tong to help. Hopefully at the bar. Or arm-wrestle somebody into submission!

It's a tempting idea. You could use the last of your money to get hammered and carouse with the other drunkards before leaving with the next caravan out of town and start a new life in Whiterun. On the other hand, Thauraver is still family, and family means a lot to Dunmer. Even if the family member in question is an idiot.

"Okay, fine then. Did you at least manage to benefit from this deal?"
Ask what he spent the money on, and what the terms for it were.
Or what he is expected to do in return.

"How much did you borrow and how much do you still have?"

"Two thousands septims borrowed and we still have about eight hundred."

"How did you manage to waste over a thousands septims already?!"

He shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "I... Look, it's a long story. I made some poor financial decisions, some unpleasant events occurred, and now we're down to eight hundred gold."

"Just tell me what you spent it on."

"Food, lodging, bribes. I didn't gamble it away or anything."

"What were the terms of the deal you made?"

"Two thousand septims loaned to be paid back plus five hundred in interest within three months. Defaulting leads to whatever the Camona Tong decides at the end of the allotted time. We still have two and a half months left."

Two and a half months to turn eight hundred coins into two thousand five hundred. This is gonna be tricky.

You know what is the best business for wartime? Coffins. Someone's got to do it. Suggest that to the cousin.

That's an interesting idea. You could probably find a chink to exploit somewhere in the carpentry machine: with the number of dead sons of Skyrim in need of burial, either buying up wood to drive up prices or hiring carpenters to create enough of a monopoly to make a profit could work. Considering that most craftsmen make fewer than ten septims per day, you could have an angle to convince them to work for wages rather than to directly sell their products if you could promise a substantial increase in profit, especially since you could subsidize the actual revenue from sales with your own money until the profits start to roll in.

Cousin, why don't we set up a carriage service?

You could probably afford to either procure a comfortable carriage and hire enough guards to create a safe and outrageously priced carriage service for nobility (especially if you marketed it well and fabricated a name for the operation) or rent and run multiple cheaper carriages between the holds. You could even piggyback a small-scale trading operation onto it, if you went with the latter.

Go to an Orchish stronghold and set up a contract with a reliable Orc to supply only us with Iron. Once we've secured the iron we can sell it to the highest bidders in the weapon smithing businesses. Of course a side quest is going to be needed.

That would be a veritable gold mine. It'd be difficult to convince a stronghold to open up its gates, but if you could find an orc to act as the middleman you would definitely have a chance.

Now that's an interesting idea. The Khajiit caravans are rarely allowed into cities, but they travel the roads nearly unhindered by both the Imperials and the Stormcloaks. Not only would that allow you to bring in high-demand goods, you could also bring in luxury items from the Empire proper: gold and silver from Hammerfell, silks from High Rock, and various illicit goods that always make a significant profit. It'd be a risky investment, though. If a caravan was raided by bandits, you could lose a whole lot of money.

Well.. since we seem like a classical example of a Dunmer, we are bound to see them as even below man. Not the best starting point for a middleman.

You're keenly aware of your innate elven superiority, but you're an agent of House Hlaalu. You can put on whatever face you need to to make sure a deal works, even smiling and shaking a cat's paw while promising a fair split of the profits.

"Alright, here's what we're going to do..."

You have 820 septims between the two of you. You have two and a half months to get 2500 septims. What will your first target be?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 06:08:33 pm »

Kahjiit caravan. Coffin-making will take too long before we start getting profits and since most carpenters are probably Nords we'll have trouble finding decent labour in that regard. Besides that, they also travel all over Skyrim including possibly Orc strongholds, meaning it can get us in contact with an Orc.

Keep an eye out for adventurers. If we can find one it should be easy to get them to take a quest to forgive our debt!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 06:23:43 pm »

Yes, ask the tavernkeeper if they know when the next Khajiit caravan. If they don't know, head outside the gate to see if they are currently at Windhelm. After that, regardless, walk around the city to find out if there are any orcs. Also check the docks and stables if nothing turns up in the city. And keep an eye out for adventurer types. They can just punch the Camonna Tong contact in the face, and that will relieve our debt!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 12:49:05 am »

Kahjiit caravan.
Yes, ask the tavernkeeper if they know when the next Khajiit caravan.

"...We're going to get in contact with the Khajiit caravans. They're the only neutral trading organization - if anything the cats are a part of can really be called an organization - in the entirety of Skyrim, but they're rarely allowed within the city walls. Especially in Windhelm. We can act as an unofficial middleman between them and the city and find a Nord to sell their goods to the people of Windhelm."

You stand up and toss enough money to pay for your meals on the table.

"I assume you have a place to stay?"

"Yeah, I'm renting an apartment in the Grey Quarter."

"Good. Get ready to leave. I just need to check one thing before we go."

You head over to the bar and address the woman standing behind it.

"Have any of the Khajiit caravans come to Windhelm recently?"

She looks at you with a mildly disapproving expression.

"We don't let any of those thieves into Windhelm. We've got enough unwanted guests as it is."

"But have any of them passed by within the past few weeks?"

"One of 'em usually goes up north to Winterhold every few weeks. Last time I heard was around two weeks ago."

So you can probably expect them within the week. Good timing. You thank her for the information and head to the door where Thauraver waits for you. The two of you silently step out into the bitter cold, and the sound of cheerful talking cuts off behind you as the door swings closed again.

Neither of you speak as Thauraver leads you down the streets into the grey quarter. You can tell something's bothering him. He only shuts up when he's upset.

After a few minutes, he enters a dingy building and holds the door open for you. Down a dimly lit hallway, up a flight of stairs, down another hallway, and into a small room. The apartment is empty except for two cots lying next to opposite walls, a small, shuttered window, and two chests of drawers.

"Welcome to your new home: the finest accommodations Windhelm has to offer. Turns out you really don't need all that much to get by, when you're down to the wire."

"I've had assignments in Black Marsh with better living conditions than this."

"That's, well..." His sentence trails off. "Listen, I don't mean to pry or anything, but you seem... different than you were way back in Blacklight."

"Oh really."

He makes a vague gesture. "I mean, you weren't as - confrontational's not the right word. I guess you weren't as traditional. The prickliness and the comments about Khajiit - I don't know. It doesn't seem like you."

"People change in time."

"Yeah." He sighs slightly. "I mean, it's not really important. I don't know why I brought it up."

An awkward silence ensues.

"Let's get some sleep. We have a long day ahead of us."

You awake the next morning as sunlight streams through the loose wooden shutters. Groggily rubbing the sleep from your eyes, you throw back the thin blankets and swing your legs off of your cot. The air is still freezing, but it looks like the clouds have cleared, at least. Across the room, Thauraver lies in a blanket burrito (an exotic Khajiit dish you've come across in your travels), still asleep.

The caravan will be coming within the week. What's your plan for today?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:31:30 am by Araph »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 12:57:40 am »

Try to find a temp job. It'll earn us a bit of money and we might make some contacts.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 01:02:20 am »

We're going to need to establish friendly relations with some of the locals, preferably the least dunmer averse.

Spend time in the grey quarter, giving particular attention to any non-Dunmer who spend time in the area. Generally socialize and get a feel for the local community.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 09:13:02 am »

We're going to need to establish friendly relations with some of the locals, preferably the least dunmer averse.

Spend time in the grey quarter, giving particular attention to any non-Dunmer who spend time in the area. Generally socialize and get a feel for the local community.

An keep an eye for that caravan!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:33 pm »

Try to find a temp job. It'll earn us a bit of money and we might make some contacts.
An keep an eye for that caravan!

You stride through the dark halls towards the door. As you open the door, the piercing light of the sun reflects off the snow, illuminating your dark face. Your cloak flutters dramatically in the wind as you exit the tenement building, burdened with glorious purpo-

You are now Thauraver. Your internal monologue is significantly less pretentious.

You slowly wake up, reluctant to leave your toasty cocoon. Sadly, the cheap shutters do a very poor job at keeping the light out of the room, and the blanket over your eyes is not pulling its weight either. You eventually, with much grumbling, get up and dress yourself. Looks like Merdok already left. Figures he'd be one to get up early.

You shuffle out of the room and lock the door, pulling your cloak around your shoulders. As the tenement building's door opens, the sunlight off the snow stings your eyes for a moment until they adjust. With a yawn, you turn and begin trudging towards Candlehearth Hall. Most mornings you help out with a few menial tasks in exchange for breakfast, and today's no exception.

Fast forward an hour. Firewood has been chopped, barrels have been hauled, and a leisurely-ish breakfast has been had. Until either you find Merdok or Merdok finds you, your day is completely open - except for the evening. You have a commitment then. But until then, what do you do?

Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »

Chat up some well to do merchant folks here in the tavern about anything. Maybe we can gleam more information about life here.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 07:57:28 pm »

Review what we know about life here so far, specifically about any friendly humans who might be looking for a job. Merdok will probably appreciate us handling that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]