Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Outpost liaison arrives but...  (Read 5621 times)

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost liaison arrives but...
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 09:15:36 pm »

Can't for the live of me figure out how anyone could have problems with multiracial forts. It's one of the main features I am looking forward to.
And a goblin liaison sounds cool. A shame I never got something like that.

As for the whole goblin morality issue: I always thought that the [EVIL]-tag has less to do with morals and such, since you could theoretically have a [EVIL] creature with a pretty good personality, and more with a connection to the demons and the underworld. In the goblins' case, they are supposed to be from the underworld originally, I think, brought with them by the demons who escaped. That's why you will never have any goblins in worlds when you turn the demon count to 0 before generating a world.
Also, on the other hand, [GOOD] creatures are only "good" because of their connection to the divine but can be pretty malicious, like those dreadful angel guardians or the jerkass mountain gnomes.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 08:57:14 pm »

I always thought the reason why, with no demons, goblins never generated was because they killed each other pre-history without a guiding force. I like to think that, without a demon to control them, leadership is attained by the one who kills the current leader. Fights rage over who is supposed to be the FIRST leader for everyone to try to kill. They end up extincting themselves before any other creature capable of recording history can meet a single one, leading to their absence in Legends mode. Not even the impressive thieves of the world, Kobolds, can spot them before they tear their civilization apart.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:17 pm »

I always thought the reason why, with no demons, goblins never generated was because they killed each other pre-history without a guiding force. I like to think that, without a demon to control them, leadership is attained by the one who kills the current leader. Fights rage over who is supposed to be the FIRST leader for everyone to try to kill. They end up extincting themselves before any other creature capable of recording history can meet a single one, leading to their absence in Legends mode. Not even the impressive thieves of the world, Kobolds, can spot them before they tear their civilization apart.

Actually that cannot be the case since if the demon dies then a goblin takes over the master position and things go on essentially unchanged.

Glanzor's idea makes sense.  They are probably elves enslaved by demons and changed (similar to the Tolkien orc origins myth I knw).  The reason I think that is because they evidently have a supernatural/magical means of sustainance and are immortal like elves are. 

They clearly have a supernatural force backing them up because else they would not be able to survive without food and water.  Without a perpetual motion machine biology, they must be getting a constant supply of water and energy from some kind of magical 'benefactor'.

However perhaps goblins actually contain 'microportals' to the underworld where the demons live.  These portals are big enough to bring through water and energy but not big enough to bring through actual beings.  But similar to a pane of glass with cracks in it, their proximity makes it easier for a larger portal to be opened, hence the demons.  In that model the goblins were not created by the demons, the formation of the first goblin settlements allowed them to come through.
Pages: 1 2 [3]