Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What should I do with this dragon ?  (Read 1601 times)

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do with this dragon ?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 07:46:42 am »

The taming seems easy but also seems to wear off inside of a year.

World is 7 years old lol.

They will not attacked you whilst trained. To be fair, all you really need is a pasture to chuck it on, a chain would possibly help it use fire more.
So make a zone, set it to pen/pasture and animal training, optionally set a chain there, enjoy! Someone will go and train every 3 months or so. It's a time thing and not "what level of training it's at" For if it's trained to semi wild, it's almost certainly going to revert back before they speak to it again.

Although i don't think kills with dragon fire actually count to a dragons kills.
Seems weird but i very recently found one and sent my embark crew to attack it as i've never seen a dragon before the only kill which it got credit for was the one it clawed, the other 5 died to fire, 1 ran off.

Just caught a hydra to see how much !!FUN!! this could be.
The hydra refused to stay in it's pasture and literally ran off towards my meeting hall, past my military. For some very unknown reason, one of my military tried to stab it (blue writing though, so suggested it was part of training?!) and then hydra was unamused about someone trying to stab him and proceeded to bite his head off and then cause a fight :P

So to go back on what i said, they will not necessarily stay where they are pastured. Not entirely sure why, i've never had problems before (OTHER than when they chase their trainer around a bit, this is COMMON!). But the trainer was nowhere near this time.
Had to savescum to get my pretty little hydra back :P
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:21 am »

I recommend making a flame-turret near your fort entrance as a FIRST Line of defense.  As has already been noted, dragon's will spit fire indiscriminately... likely torching your army (and your entire fort in the process).   So, you build a small room lined with fortifications and a series of retracting bridges to close off line of sight.  Protected by the fortifications, the dragon can rain fire down on invaders.  If they start taking fire from archers/get wounded/half the map is on fire, you can raise the bridges.  This should drastically soften up invaders before they enter the rest of your defenses.  Since this happens first (and ideally outside your fortress), this minimizes the chance of setting your fort on fire.  I'd still recommend placing a dwarven bathtub on the way into your fortress as a safeguard, however. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 11:56:32 am »

I would suggest keeping your dragon safe instead of keeping your dragon as your first line of defence. Should you ever face an unbeatable inorganic megabeast you can always unleash the dragonfire.

AbanShakehandles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • microscopes are fun
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 12:26:53 pm »

World is 7 years old lol.

Are any of the dwarves older than 7? If so, it would imply that the dragon could be older than 7 as well.
It's like we're looking
down on Wayne's basement, only
that's not Wayne's basement.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 12:50:52 pm »

I would suggest keeping your dragon safe instead of keeping your dragon as your first line of defence. Should you ever face an unbeatable inorganic megabeast you can always unleash the dragonfire.

This is why I suggested the raised bridges/fortification set up.  If the attackers look like too much for even a few pot shots from your dragon, then keep the bridges up.  If they lack ranged attacks (or only a few marksmen) then let your dragon roast the bastards.  If you use INSIDE your fortress for defense you are just asking for a flaming dorf to run crying to your booze/wood/coal stockpiles!

Guvnah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 01:29:53 pm »

I have set up a fortification/bridge system in the buffer hallway between the cavern layer and the rest of a fort. Should be fun.

Also, I finally got the first "Your civilization has gained some insight on dragons." or whatever that message is.  :o

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 02:03:54 am »

The main problem I had with my dragonfire turret was my dolomite stone bridge melted after 3-4 consecutive blasts. I'm not sure whether metal bridges will last better though.

Anyway I eventually managed to do without a bridge, and also modified certain aspects of the trap for myself. Here's some suggestions:

1) Droppable bait animal in front of dragon to stimulate dragonbreath at will
2) Supports linked to trigger cave-ins (shielded enemies survive full dragonfire immersion way too often, so cave-in dust helps to stun them before subsequent roasting occurs)
3) Corridor filled with floor grates that will catch fire when dragonfire is emitted

Nothing shall escape without first-degree burns.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 03:19:40 am »

The main problem I had with my dragonfire turret was my dolomite stone bridge melted after 3-4 consecutive blasts. I'm not sure whether metal bridges will last better though.
All metal is immune to dragonfire, with the exception that it can still be melted by heat transfer from burning critters and objects (e.g., a nearby ‼dolomite‼ boulder.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]