Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A GCS warped into Anvillances! Three killed, player confused  (Read 3487 times)

dmatter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A GCS warped into Anvillances! Three killed, player confused
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 12:22:04 pm »

It doesn't matter what is above that staircase.  The GCS is pathing downward diagonally to the highlighted square.

Because of the bug in climbing pathing, the GCS can pass downward diagonally into that square from the up/down staircase on the level above it.

In the save you posted, that square is not blocked from the goofy climb pathing.

OOOOoohhhhhh. I was so busy looking at what it could gain access to via climbing up that I stopped looking at what it could gain access to below. You, sir/madam, win an *<<*imaginary cookie roast*>>*. It is adorned with spikes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:26:49 pm by dmatter »

Fallenworldful

• Bay Watcher
  • The Expert !!Newb!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »

Huh, that's some weird pathing right there. That would explain how all those crundles are getting into my fort.
The Vile Force of Darkness strikes Fallenworldful's Fortress, jamming the skull through the brain!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been knocked unconscious!

Fallenworldful's Fortress has been struck down.

dmatter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »

Huh, that's some weird pathing right there. That would explain how all those crundles are getting into my fort.

Dwarf bug logic is always !!fun!! (part of the reason I play this game). Though it could be considered a feature instead of a bug since things will path through diagonal spaces on the same Z-level. It only makes sense that the same principle should or could be applied across Z levels for climbers and/or fliers. Though, since a down/up-down staircase doesn't reveal the tiles adjacent to the tile below upon completion I would say it clearly isn't intended.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 08:05:13 pm »

Dwarf bug logic is always !!fun!! (part of the reason I play this game). Though it could be considered a feature instead of a bug since things will path through diagonal spaces on the same Z-level. It only makes sense that the same principle should or could be applied across Z levels for climbers and/or fliers. Though, since a down/up-down staircase doesn't reveal the tiles adjacent to the tile below upon completion I would say it clearly isn't intended.

Yeah, it's confirmed as a bug:  #8383

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 08:32:54 pm »

I always wall off my stair well.
Or you can just add a floor hatch above your stair well as a fail safe.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 01:08:33 pm »

Yeah, it's confirmed as a bug:  #8383

Well, it's been confirmed that the behavior exists; it's less clear if it's a bug or working as intended.  The whole issue of diagonal pathing is somewhat non-physical, and therefore arbitrary.  If a 2D-moving-@ looks at the following spaces:
Code: [Select]
Z:0

4@5
... and if there is an accessible tile, can move to it;

And a 3D-moving-@ looks at the expanded set:
Code: [Select]
Z:+1  Z:0  Z:-1

abc   123   jkl
def   4@5   mno
ghi   678   pqr
... and if there is an accessible tile, can move to it;

Is that actually a problem, or just the way the game works? 

Personally, if it were my game, I'd have gone the other direction from Toady; he seems to default to "corners are open" in many cases, whereas the more traditional and somewhat more physical view would be "corners are closed".  But the game should be consistent. 
Pages: 1 [2]