Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Both cannot find path and displacement  (Read 1178 times)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Both cannot find path and displacement
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:27 am »

Before I report a bug, let me run this by you guys and see if you already know how to fix this.

I (R)eclaimed a fort I had abandonded, and set to work re-designating the innards I hadn't finished last time. My two starting miners seemed to do work for a while(maybe I'm wrong and they didn't) but later I noticed they both had canceled their jobs cause they couldn't find a path. This is a simple tunnel, still accessible from the outside. But they just stand there flashing a question mark. If I disable the mining labor they'll go about doing other things, or nothing(I don't have my miners enabled to do a lot else.)

But then it got stranger. I found one of my miners who still had mining off. I followed him and enabled mining. He paths to pick up his equipment--and my screen is going through the ground. Eventually he stops moving. I pause the game, and the display shifts to somewhere else--basically facing a cliffside not near the digging designations. Unpause it, and I'm back in the ground. I can go back and forth like this.

(I've actually been experiencing some wierdness in the follow/center-on display for a bit, but never has it appeared to be anything more than a display issue.)

I'm running the newest SP and dfhack and a graphics pack, nothing else.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
Re: Both cannot find path and displacement
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:45:35 am »

Probably dumb question, but do you have mining picks?

The only other thing I can think of is possibly having "invisible" soil. With some graphics packs, it may be hard to see dirt tiles that haven't yet been dug out, blending in with tiles that have been, and blocking the path to where you actually want them to dig. Try designating the whole tunnel for mining to see if there's any dirt in the way.

As for the follow and centering issues, that looks to be a TWBT plugin bug that was fixed. Get the newest version at  http://build.mifki.com/  and that *should* fix things.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:07:26 am »

Mining with of hidden tiles doesn't get cancelled. I know, because I often designate large rooms that I will link with existing halls when I'm done with more urgent digging. Nor do dwarves cancel jobs because they have tools for my knowledge.

I witnessed mining job being canceled and designations vanishing when I was digging in caverns. I wanted to dig tunnel into otherwise inaccessible but revealed part and I kept getting canceled for that end. Is it possible that path to that end is blocked or path there lies in the fog of war?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:15:44 am »

I havn't seen this or heard of it. Have you tried looking into the mantis bug tracker (not the forum bug reports)? Just look for mining related bugs

My first reaction is generally that you did something wrong, but that is because it is usually the player that bugged out, not the game
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:21:10 am »

If you reclaimed the fortress, it's possible that some of its tiles are unrevealed, and dwarves that attempt to path through an unrevealed region will get very confused indeed (and will cancel their job with "Could not find path").

Try stationing some military dwarves near those unrevealed areas in order to rediscover their contents, and see if the problem goes away.

In other words, it might be this bug.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:20:37 am »

If you reclaimed the fortress, it's possible that some of its tiles are unrevealed, and dwarves that attempt to path through an unrevealed region will get very confused indeed (and will cancel their job with "Could not find path").

Try stationing some military dwarves near those unrevealed areas in order to rediscover their contents, and see if the problem goes away.

In other words, it might be this bug.

This sounds most likely; it is indeed a reclaimed fortress. I'll try that out tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:13:25 am »

That was the problem. Whew, I wasn't sure I was going to continue that embark if it gave me much more problem.

Spectre, do I have to use all the files in that TWBT download? Could I just turn it off? (I always have difficulty turning things off in dfhack, don't know why.)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:11:50 pm »

Spectre, do I have to use all the files in that TWBT download? Could I just turn it off? (I always have difficulty turning things off in dfhack, don't know why.)

If you mean all files on the page, nope. One is for Linux, one for OSX, and one for Windows.

If you mean all files in a zip file, also nope. Just extract and overwrite the plug.dill files in the 40.13 folder to
"Dwarf Fortress 0.40.13\hack\plugins"

AND as of yesterday, there's a new Starter Pack r5
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.msg5738474#msg5738474

It was supposed to fix the issue, but the wrong TWBT version was included, so you'll still have to replace the plugins with the latest set.
http://do1.mifki.com:8810/dashboard

I don't think you can turn the entire plugin off from within DFHack, just parts of it since it encompasses many things. If you still want to turn it off completely (which will remove some tileset overrides and multilevel view) you'll need to delete the twbt.plug.dll from hack\plugins or change the PRINTMODE to 2D in data\init\init.txt

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:17:12 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?