Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal-less embark.  (Read 1722 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Metal-less embark.
« on: October 08, 2014, 11:42:18 am »

I embarked in a location with flux stone, shallow, and deep metals, but have only been finding a wide variety of stone.

Any tips as to probing techniques or candy grabbing? I don't see any metal in the first cavern layer either.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Metal-less embark.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:49:14 am »

Oops. Realized there's a board for this. Moving.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:32:50 pm »

Have you tried digging long corridors on various layers? That usually let's you strike some veins. "Deep" metals are not really deep. there should be plenty of them a few layers under the surface.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:33:14 pm »

Maybe screen shot to show how much you've dug? Could be a area with the metals was maybe in a corner or something?

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:48:06 pm »

Is it that the deep metals are only on 1 biome thats in the corner of your map or something?

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 04:54:59 am »

You know that metals are not found in pure form but contained in ore, e.g. in magnetite, galena, etc.? Sorry for the banal hint, but I have the impression that many new players started recently.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:09:59 am »

You know that metals are not found in pure form but contained in ore, e.g. in magnetite, galena, etc.? Sorry for the banal hint, but I have the impression that many new players started recently.

You make a good point, actually. If a new player is used to playing Terraria or Minecraft and the like, they may not realize metals need to be smelted from various ore, first. I didnt even think about that and will add it to my notes.  :)

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 02:30:57 am »

And to build on Uggh's comment: When you find some kind of stone you don't know, use the Wiki's (http://dwarffortresswiki.org) search function to find out what it is.
And, by the way, metal DOES occasionally appear in the raw form (native gold, silver, etc), but that's limited to a few metals, and isn't the "standard" metal form, which is ore).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:43:26 am by PatrikLundell »

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 08:52:15 am »

But even those "natives" behave as ores and must be smelted to be used as regular metals, i.e. as bars.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 10:12:46 am »

I know about metals and such, it's just that I haven't even found any galena, cassiterite, magnetite, anything that could be smelted down into bars, just lots of gems and different kinds of stones.
Meow.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 01:33:40 pm »

I know about metals and such, it's just that I haven't even found any galena, cassiterite, magnetite, anything that could be smelted down into bars, just lots of gems and different kinds of stones.

And like others have mentioned, it could only be sitting in a remote corner somewhere. When you embarked, did you make note of what biomes these metals were in. That biome might only be a small piece of your map. Do some more exploratory digging in many different directions, right near the edges of the map.

You could also make a copy of your DF directory, abandon the fort in the copy, and then go back and check out the embark spot again and see what biome sections you should be digging under.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?