Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A day of FUN  (Read 1471 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A day of FUN
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:32 am »

So I've been a noobie player for a while and then I am just getting back into the game after not playing for a while.

I typically don't stick with a fortress long as I'm still ever learning new things and have never been beyond 15-20 dwarfs in my playing time.

Yesterday started off with a new world started Saturday night.  Woke up ready for a day of dwarf delving.  I had bridges protecting my entrance and my depot room with separate control levers and a dual connected lever for emergencies.  I've used bridges before so thought...no problem.

I was expanding some of my workshop levels with my initial seven dwarfs (no migrants after two springs...ugh) so no military yet.  Out of the blue comes a goblin horde (well, 7 or 8 of them at least).  I had started redoing my entrance as well so I was completely open behind the bridge.  I sent out the call for lever pullers to hit the emergency lever.  They do their job...and the main entrance bridge flipped sideways instead of up.  Facepalm moment.  So, my entrance is completely open to the horde and I rally the troops into a seven man squad and rush the gate.  Only to be chopped down in mere minutes.  We took two with us to Valhalla but in the end seven more dwarves were sent to sleep with the stone.

So, I start anew.  New world, new site.  Get my depot build and both bridges...ensuring no more side flipping fiasco like last time.  (Why would they make a bridge flip sideways anyway...good trap possibly though...if you build that in a tunnel would it smash goblins up against the wall?).  I get my levers in and think "Hmm, maybe I should actually test that sucker before I get attacked again."  I look around, no dwarfs in the vicinity of the bridges.  I hit the lever...and here comes one of my dwarfs making a mad dash for the bridge from the outside (he never ran that fast for work let me tell you).  So he hits the bridge just as it flips up and he....goes....flying!!!  Broken back, crushed ribs, you name it.  I've just started.  No doctor in the house. 

So I set up an emergency hospital, make one of my miners a doctor (well, he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) and craft a Traction Table real quick.  I also scan a video on wells (never done one) and start to work on that.  About an hour in trying to deal with this one catastrophe, I'm committed to seeing this through with six dwarfs and a cripple.  I notice my crops are dying on the vine so I start looking around and notice that my planter has been missing for days and is in the dead list.  Two dwarfs down and I wasn't even dug off the first level yet?  Sayonara, and I was out on that one...too much FUN.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A day of FUN
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:58:29 am »

Ouch, bad luck.

To avoid smashing your own dwarves or protecting them from other dangers, you may consider using civilian alerts, as explained here.

This way you can define a "safe" zone inside your fortress, where you can force your dwarves to stay in with just a few clicks. It can prevent your civilians from going outside when you expect them to be smashed by a bridge, killed by ambushers, etc. etc.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:00:00 am »

For what it's worth, my last fort lost 3 of the starting 7 to a magma accident, and even with four dwarfs and no picks it's not terribly difficult to hold on until migrants show up (and a caravan can bring some more picks). So that fort was probably salvageable, although I'm curious how that planter died

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 11:39:24 am »

I have no clue how he died.  The alerts just said he had been missing for a week.  He was listed in the dead/missing column.  Of course, wasn't able to zoom to his body to see where the heck he was.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:03:42 pm »

I have no clue how he died.  The alerts just said he had been missing for a week.  He was listed in the dead/missing column.  Of course, wasn't able to zoom to his body to see where the heck he was.
You can find dead bodies, even when they're missing, by going into the stocks screen, going to "corpses", and finding the one with the name of the missing dwarf. That is, unless they were disintegrated under a bridge.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »

Maybe that's what happened.  Maybe he was in the line of fire with my other dwarf when the bridge came crashing up.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:34:39 pm »

Or maybe he was under it when you lowered the drawbridge afterwards.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:38 pm »

I had grand goals for Archtemple (great name, right?) but after making a wood pile and starting my front entrance a couple of giant eagles came by and killed absolutely everyone.
 *shrugs* reclaim
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 05:05:21 pm »

how would you reclaim?

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:12:19 pm »

If you abandon a fort(or lose?) you can reclaim it and all your excavations and buildings will still be there.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 08:13:45 pm »

If you abandon a fort(or lose?) you can reclaim it and all your excavations and buildings will still be there.

And, as a bonus, clothes are strewn everywhere like all the remaining residents had some kind of hellish orgy after you abandoned.

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 08:57:27 pm »

And, as a bonus, clothes are strewn everywhere like all the remaining residents had some kind of hellish orgy after you abandoned.

It's one hell of a party, they rip all the doors down and scatter them on the front lawn