Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving ore to the workshop level  (Read 3073 times)

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving ore to the workshop level
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:53:06 pm »

I've successfully mined some limonite on the sedimentary layer of my fortress, but it's just sitting around, not being moved. The smelter hauls his own limonite from the mined level.

I've tried creating a stockpile (stone - metal ores) on the level the ore is located on (by the stairs, with wheelbarrows), but the haulers ignore it.

Tried getting rid of all stone stockpiles of this type and re-creating, but that had no effect.
Tried the quantum dump, but my smelter ignores the limonite sitting 2 squares away.
Tried a save and load without effect.
Stone hauling is on for every adult.

Any ideas?

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving ore to the workshop level
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:59:33 pm »

What I do is link the stockpile to the workshop(smelter). IIRC you [q]->[g] on the stockpile and then [return] on the workshop you want to use stone from that stockpile.
It has some oddities though. Like, IIRC you'll need to set the stockpile to give to every other workshop that needs to use it, otherwise they won't be able to. And if all linked stockpiles ever run out of stuff to work on the workshop will just cancel the job instead of picking from anywhere else. But it's worth taking the time to set it up IMO.

Maybe there's a better way to do that, I'd be interested to hear.

As for the dwarves not hauling the stone to the stockpile in the first place, I really have no idea. Something on the [ o]rders menu or the stockpile settings?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 11:02:16 pm by Uristides »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 11:33:41 pm »

If it's what usually causes my custom stockpile failures, you need to allow non-organic in one of the stockpile options near the bottom.

It's disabled when you clear all the selections in a custom stockpile.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 12:06:43 am »

If it's what usually causes my custom stockpile failures, you need to allow non-organic in one of the stockpile options near the bottom.

It's disabled when you clear all the selections in a custom stockpile.

Do you mean:
Additional Options-Allow Non-Plant/Animal

Indeed, I had that de-selected. They're definitely starting to aggregate it on the mining level. I don't see a move up to the workshop level, but I'll wait and see...

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:36:05 am »

Waited a bit with no change, even after the tweak. Finally removed and re-created the stockpile with the new custom setting and things started to flow. THANKS!!!

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »

Tried the quantum dump, but my smelter ignores the limonite sitting 2 squares away.

Common oversight, but did you mass unforbid them after dumping?

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:56:52 pm »

Common oversight, but did you mass unforbid them after dumping?

Nope. That did the trick!

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:48:34 am »

If you have it stockpiled in two locations, unless one is full i don't think it will begin filling up the other one.
If your desire is to create a feeder system then linking is your best bet as there is nothing triggering the dwarfs to feed the ore from one place to another.

You could try dumping them upstairs and then going from there

You could try unzoning your stockpile which should encourage them to move

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:22:35 am »

I think I know why your stone stockpile is not working, those get created by default with wheelbarrows allocated, the same as food stockpiles do with barrels or crafts with bins... the problem is if you don't have any free wheelbarrows your dwarves won't haul the stones by hand... you can set the wheelbarrows to 0 to allow manual hauling or make some.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:24:25 am by Kaos »

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 10:20:14 am »

I think I know why your stone stockpile is not working, those get created by default with wheelbarrows allocated, the same as food stockpiles do with barrels or crafts with bins... the problem is if you don't have any free wheelbarrows your dwarves won't haul the stones by hand... you can set the wheelbarrows to 0 to allow manual hauling or make some.

Another good thing to watch out for!  Thanks!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:01:04 pm »

Did... did this change?  If so, I LOVE this change.  I would love this SO much.

In 0.34.11 if you create a stone stockpile with wheelbarrows assigned, dwarves move stone there by hand until a wheelbarrow shows up, at which point they stop moving it by hand and finally start using the wheelbarrow.  So in 0.34.11 I have to block every type of stone in the stockpile until the wheelbarrows get there, then go back into the settings and allow the types of stones I want.

If 0.40.x lets you skip this step, and simply designate a stockpile with wheelbarrows and X, Y, Z types of stone allowed, and dwarves DON'T move the stone until the wheelbarrows show up, I will be happy!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 09:39:41 pm »

I was sure it still behaved that way too.  So, im off to see...

Nope, they still haul by hand.

Embarked with 50 shale, no barrows, designate general stone pile, set 3 barrows, unpause, all haul by hand.

Once at least 1 barrow shows up then it behaves how we want, guess we still doing it the longway.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.