Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flux Stone  (Read 5941 times)

G1Radiobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flux Stone
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:12:27 pm »

I just wanted to know how deep I'm going to need to dig to get access to Flux stone. The Embark screen said that I do have a flux layer, but I've dug something like ten layers down and haven't seen any. How deep do you generally need to go to find flux?
Just wanted to say this is the first time I've ever felt safe clicking a link that says "Animal Sexuality".
Aiming is for humans.  A true dwarf just arranges for the targets to be standing in the right place at the right time.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Stone
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »

I just wanted to know how deep I'm going to need to dig to get access to Flux stone. The Embark screen said that I do have a flux layer, but I've dug something like ten layers down and haven't seen any. How deep do you generally need to go to find flux?

Depends some it's on the first lvl, though that is rare, usually near the 1st cavern lvl.....so basically z-100000-+10000

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 03:17:39 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Flux

The nature of biomes means that you may have embarked on a border of to or more.  So, you may not be digging in the right biome.  It may also be a bit further down.  The depth of layers isn't necessarily a constant.  Its really a situational thing and each embark is different.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 03:21:46 pm »

If the flux is marble it could appear at just about any depth on the map. Calcite is usually (always?) seen as small inclusions in other flux layers. The others are sedimentary, so will generally be pretty close to the surface. Marble is, in my experience, the most frequently encountered flux stone, so may have to dig very deep to find it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:33:41 pm »

Indeed. If you do find marble however, you usually will find more than you'll ever need. I lost count in my previous fortress, just how many marble layers I found deeper down.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:00:07 pm »

I once found a marble layer that was only 1 z lvl deep on the second cavern level. The only marble there were stalactites as the layer above was gabbro and the layer beneath was orthoclase.

Usually I get 3-4 z lvls worth of flux though.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

G1Radiobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:40:55 pm »

Actually I embarked in a one-biome area (Had to dig past an aquifer too). So I should just keep digging down until I hit a flux layer?
Just wanted to say this is the first time I've ever felt safe clicking a link that says "Animal Sexuality".
Aiming is for humans.  A true dwarf just arranges for the targets to be standing in the right place at the right time.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:46:32 pm »

If you want.  I would suggest sealing the tunnel/staircase off first, to prevent . . . interlopers.  Cage traps, bridges, weapon traps, or even a good old fashioned hatch.  If you pop the cavern you should be ready.

Most of the time you will pop it without a path for ground units to invade, but bats ans swallows are a thing.  And FBs.
You can continue down or make a new staircase if you do hit a cavern, but either way be ready for it.  Also consider mining for ore.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 09:06:56 am »

Actually I embarked in a one-biome area (Had to dig past an aquifer too). So I should just keep digging down until I hit a flux layer?

Digging straight down is one of the things I do in the first year.  I go down about a dozen levels with my main stairwell, then horizontally for 10-20 tiles, then drop an up/down stairwell straight down until I hit a cavern.  When I hit a cavern, I go up to the last "safe" up/down stairway, and construct an up-only stairway on it (this also requires digging one tile adjacent to it).  That seals the cavern, so nothing can fly up from it.  Then I find the nearest solid column of stone that'll let me continue down through the cavern layer.  I repeat this until I've found magma, and hopefully all 3 cavern layers, all sealed off.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 03:10:55 pm »

Well the site finder should tell you whether you have flux, at least as of one of the more recent versions. If you go to the menu to set economic stones and uneconomic stone, if this has not been touched, the flux stone should be in green if it is a layer stone. Else, the stone will not show up. Limestone, dolomite, and chalk appear as surface sedimentary layers, while marble appears deep down. Marble may also not appear at the same level or indeed in all parts of the map, if the layer arrangements differ (this does happen).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

G1Radiobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »

Thanks, I've already found a layer of marble. Quick secondary question, a human caravan showed up at my fort, and one of there wagons randomly died, and is showing up in my deceased list. They of course quickly left, and I helped myself to the loot. However, I'd prefer to avoid pissing off the Humans, so what can I do to prevent random wagon deaths?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 11:53:27 pm »

Thanks, I've already found a layer of marble. Quick secondary question, a human caravan showed up at my fort, and one of there wagons randomly died, and is showing up in my deceased list. They of course quickly left, and I helped myself to the loot. However, I'd prefer to avoid pissing off the Humans, so what can I do to prevent random wagon deaths?

I believe this is an issue with wagon pullers getting spooked and having the wagon scuttle after they run off.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 01:39:56 pm »

I have buttloads of dolomite, and not a single scrap of iron ore to be found.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.