Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Last stand fort attempt  (Read 1001 times)

Kelenius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Last stand fort attempt
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:50:39 pm »

So, I've been trying to run a "last stand" fort of sorts. The idea is to make a world with dwarves destroyed, so your forum is the only site they have. Making a pocket world with lowest amount of civilisations and sites, and highest salvagery usually does the trick: there is only one site, and it is ruin.

Hovewer, when I try to start it, I get immigrants after the first two hardcoded waves anyway. Caravan also comes, though there is no liaison. What am I doing wrong? I thought it worked in the old versions, is it a bug?

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last stand fort attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:55:11 pm »

It did work in the old versions.
In this version dwarven civilization can be destroyed with dwarves still alive in the world as slaves or civilians in other civilizations. I'm assuming that is where the migrants are coming from.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Kelenius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:02:03 pm »

Hmm, that makes it sound rather cool. Imagine a rumor of a group of dwarves building a fort slowly spreading over the world, and the dwarves from the faraway lands heading to the place to rebuild the glory of dwarven civilisation.

And then being put under an atom smasher :V

Is there any way to stop it? Migration cap thing won't help without liaison...

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:25:29 pm »

Hmm, that makes it sound rather cool. Imagine a rumor of a group of dwarves building a fort slowly spreading over the world, and the dwarves from the faraway lands heading to the place to rebuild the glory of dwarven civilisation.

And then being put under an atom smasher :V

Is there any way to stop it? Migration cap thing won't help without liaison...

Not any easy way, but you could go site to site in adventure mode and kill every dwarf you see.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 09:47:11 pm »

My current map is similar. Elves and goblins have taken over most of the map, and my fort is the only dwarven stornghold. BoldBridge, founded to link the mainland to a small island just off the coast, where I hope to build a new fort. Boldbridge took 4 years to complete, and is a 100% basalt fort with a 100% obsidian bridge wide enough to fit a wagon. Fun stuff.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »

I guess the situation in current dwarf fortress with migrants from a dead civ is as if after the new dwarf king Thorin reclaimed the Lonely Mountain, centuries after it fell to the evil dragon and his kin were scattered to the winds, the surviving refugees and their descendants slowly trickled back as migrants to the last bastion of dwarven civilization left in the world. Technically they would be members of non-dwarven entities, but remember their original allegiance.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 01:20:32 am »

Actually, this gives me an idea for a new world gen factor. Being able to determine not only number of civs, but what number of individual types of civs.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:58:42 am »

It did work in the old versions.
In this version dwarven civilization can be destroyed with dwarves still alive in the world as slaves or civilians in other civilizations. I'm assuming that is where the migrants are coming from.
In my experience it actually didn't work in the older versions. I had made a new civ that only spawns once in each world with no nobles that lived in castles. They were wiped out by elves around 586 and I started my fort in year 1050 (looking back I have no idea how I got it to get so far without crashing). I ended up getting excessive amounts of migrants and caravans as the civil had never been playtested before and had no nobles at the time.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia