Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Single-dwarf Fortress?? Possible yet??  (Read 932 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Single-dwarf Fortress?? Possible yet??
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:16 pm »

This is probably a waste of a post, but I can't think of anywhere better to ask (or anywhere outside of the forums..): Is it possible, through DFhack or modding, to embark with less than the hard-coded dwarves?? Since I discovered DF a million years ago all I've wanted was to embark with a single dwarf and no migrants at all.. Hermit Fortress :> I know there are a couple good ways of handling migrants, but I'm basically wondering if the hard-coded starting dwarves can ever be changed/reduced :(

A while back I used DFhack to trap and melt all but one of my starting dwarves when I already had "the chosen one" locked away in his well-stocked Albinohome.. I can't recall if I was able (at that point) to remove all the bad feelings my uni-dwarf got from their deaths, but I think I was.. I do think that first wave of migrants still showed up though I altered the max population settings for dwarves and babies to bare minimum (haven't tried this in a while, so I'm not too sure what potential new DFhack features there may be..) And I think melting them all still led to ghosts and such..

STILL! :> It'd be much easier if I could abandon those unwanted dwarves at embark (even if it is fun to trap and lava-bath dwarves, hahaha..) Why must "hard-coded" be so hard? ;)

tl;dr! Could someone basically create a quick guide (utilizing all related DFhack features that'd help, if there are any new ones..) to creating a single-dwarf fort? And does playing a single-dwarf fort even sound as fun to any of you as it does to me??

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single-dwarf Fortress?? Possible yet??
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:28 pm »

Your hardcoded minimum in the old versions was 4 Dwarves. Toady never mentioned dropping this lower, so you'd have to do Science and find out.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 07:14:10 am »

Dfhack allows you. I'm not sure what the name of the script is, but it's included in the masterwork mod. Download the mod, gen up a world and before you select a site for embark type 'startdwarf x' to choose how many you want to start off with.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:11 pm »

Your hardcoded minimum in the old versions was 4 Dwarves. Toady never mentioned dropping this lower, so you'd have to do Science and find out.
Never heard of any 4-dwarf minimum in Dwarf Fortress - the POPULATION_CAP init option has a minimum of 7, but that's it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.