Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Useless fruit trees, given a purpose.  (Read 969 times)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Useless fruit trees, given a purpose.
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:05:28 pm »

I decided that I would build a adventurer's guild now that we can retire forts, so I settled in a forest on a road with a ample supply of watermelons, granite and rutile(to make floors), cherrywood, and tools. Turns out this forest is a giant orchard, filled with every type of fruit tree imaginable, from cherry, to apple, and even plums. I was super pumped until I learned I can't pick them. for a while it was sad, I couldn't build my guild surrounded by a cherry farm and adventurers, but then I had an idea.

This guild will be using each type of tree in a different way, cherry wood walls, apple wood chairs, etc., so I use all of these new materials in the dumbest way currently available, and using the granite and rutile to make a pixelart space invader in the main hall. Once I am done with this guild, I shall build a giant plum out of plum logs or something, to mark this great building. there are also fruit and veggies of every sort, so it's basically a Garden of Eden, apart from the exploding birds. I never read the bible, but I am pretty sure combustible avian critters aren't in it.

So far I am half done, and the only thinks I have seen were some curious skunks, even though I am on a road near some dark pits. Also, is it me, or are the goblins getting their baby snatching butts beaten by the furious little kobolds, as I have seen one of the two goblin civs near me torn apart by various kobold factions on the map. Though it was hilarious, it puzzles me how the adorable little buggers managed to topple an entire society of soldiers, thieves, and trolls.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Useless fruit trees, given a purpose.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:54:13 pm »

I never read the bible, but I am pretty sure combustible avian critters aren't in it.
They don't actually combust. The explosion is due to high-force impact, not temperatures.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: Useless fruit trees, given a purpose.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »

I never read the bible, but I am pretty sure combustible avian critters aren't in it.
They don't actually combust. The explosion is due to high-force impact, not temperatures.
Your right! sorry, I forgot combust is for a explosive detonation.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!