Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Technically, still have not lost a fortress leader  (Read 1358 times)

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Technically, still have not lost a fortress leader
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:25:54 pm »

He was our broker and the original expedition leader and in less than three years guided Roughstrike to a community of 100 beards.  All was well in the fortress, with the food situation well under control and multiple industries chugging along nicely.  Booze was never a problem, as a talented Brewer Rovod saw to that personally.  Aside from an early run in with the were-elk Leba Innahade which cost the fort a hunter and a herbalist, you had to concede he did a pretty good job.

He had just fully outfitted the hospital and supervised the completion of private bedrooms for everybody with plenty to spare.  Roughstrike had long outgrown the cramped twelve seat dining hall, but the new 11x21 Great Hall carved into a magnetite deposit had just started dishing out lavish roasts.

The curtain wall was up in the first year and the roof was well underway.  Snatchers and thieves were pretty constant and soon being supplemented by goblin ambushes, but with a dozen steel axes always training in the courtyard, the drawbridge was never raised, with Roughstrike welcoming all comers, though invaders found in that welcome a rough strike indeed.

That was the beginning of his fall.  The second migrant wave of the year 253 brought more strong backs to carry stone and ore, but it also brought the bewitchingly charming Melbil Paddletwisted.  Rovod's life was to serve Roughstrike, to keep thirsts slaked and the drawbridge lowered.  He had proven himself a capable leader and justifiably anticipated being named mayor.  It was not to be and it was for Melbil that the mayor's quarters were commissioned.

And then the bloodless body turned up.  No one cared too much, Zas was once a Fish Dissector but now spent most of her days carting stone from one pile to another.  But, no one wanted to be next.  Within the walls of the fortress was a cursed being, one that had somehow so profaned a deity that he was to sentenced to forever wander the earth with an unslakable thirst for blood.

It didn't take long to find him.  Despite the plentiful bedrooms, one dwarf had not claimed one.  One dwarf who was a former member of over a dozen different groups.  One dwarf who despite needing alcohol to get through the working day, had never even tasted Rovod's fine brewings.  The mayor.

Being overlooked for mayor was an insult, but knowing that the dwarfs he nurtured chose a creature of the night over him was too great an indignity to bear.  Oh he put up a brave front, claiming to be ecstatic with his modest quarters instead of the decent office that should have been his.  But then, with No Job pending, he walked past that infamous open drawbridge and discovered the ambush squad of goblin pikemen (pikegoblins?). He was struck down before the Axe Lords could do anything about it.

He will be missed.  You can tell by how far the happiness levels have dropped.  It was a lot, but I think the fort has weathered it without any tantrums.

Moral of the story?  Dang, I really gotta figure out how this civilian alert thing works.

Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Technically, still have not lost a fortress leader
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:35:59 am »

Poor guy... But hey, that's dwarf fortress.

I lost a few dwarves ( about 6-7 in the current fort ) to goblin ambushes, but otherwise okay. My dwarves don't want to wear full military uniforms for some reason...

Once my expedition leader became a baron she does nothing, so some old migrant doctor got the job of mayor and broker. And he actually works...
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:04:33 am »

I really gotta figure out how this civilian alert thing works.

Step 1. Designate a safe space as a burrow, burrows can even be designated across z-levels, get below surfacem hit enter in one corner, scroll to magma sea, hit enteri in the other corner of map, boom! burrow of everything but the deadly, deadly surface.

Step 2. hit m-a, scroll to right most menu of the screen where your burrow should be apparent. Hit enter over it.

you are done!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:08:17 pm »

the method i use is:

1) create a burrow that covers all the inside parts of the fortress.  basically, anywhere i don't mind civilians wandering while in a siege.
2) m - a - c - N to go to the military scree, alerts, and create a new alert level then Name it "Danger!"
3) arrow down to "Danger!", then arrow over to the burrow and hit enter on it so it as an "A" next to it (meaning it is active when "Danger!" is active.
4) When i want all the civilians to be in that burrow, highlight "Danger!" and press enter so it say s"CIV" next to it (set it as the Civilian alert level) and everyone not in an active militia group should stop what they are doing and run back to the safe area.

Alternately, if you want to get fancy, you can have militia squads with set orders that activate at the same time (e.g., a squad of reserves activate and rush to reinforce the main entrance, while two other squads of reserve marksdwarves get stationed on the walls, etc).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:35:27 pm »

I use goatgod_pan's method.  It's way simpler than creating alerts.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 05:54:47 pm »

Maybe, but it's less flexible.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 12:17:33 am »

My method allows me to hit m - a - down - down - enter (skipping past the first two default alert settings), or just m - a - up - enter since it wraps around, and all my civilians run for the fortress while at the same time the reserves get activated and head for their assigned defensive positions (squad orders to station at certain points that are already set up and defined with "station point X - min 1" or some such), while the full time militia members that aren't already there rush to the main entrance where all invaders have to go (currently) to get into my fortress.  Four or five keystrokes and I'm on lockdown and full readiness, once all the lazy buggers get to their places, anyway. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

SpyderVenom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:15:10 am »

They DO die of old age... Dont get attached to any dwarves ever! lol