Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sonic Boom: A return to the glory of Sonic '06  (Read 2367 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Boom: A return to the glory of Sonic '06
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 10:18:18 am »

I'm sure all the people who are still inexplicably angry about the Robotnik -> Eggman change took that line as an insult targeted at them.
Admittedly I raised an eyebrow, but I didn't take it as targeted at me ;D

Steve Urkel isn't dead; why didn't they get him to voice Sonic again?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 05:56:49 pm »

I had to laugh a little at the first bit where he is all like "My name is Egg-man! Look, it says right here on my birth certificate! My mother gave me this name you bastard!"

And I'm just thinking no, your name is Dr Robotnik...

For some reason, this is one of the things about modern Sonic that burns me up more than it should.  I never really took the video games Robotnik all that seriously, but they pretty much nuked the chances of me caring about him when he started parading himself around as Eggman.  Even in Sonic Adventure he referred to himself as Robotnik.  I guess he got tired of correcting people.

I'm sure all the people who are still inexplicably angry about the Robotnik -> Eggman change took that line as an insult targeted at them.

Nah, but I can recognize it as Sega telling me to shut about it because his name is Eggman now.  I won't shut up about it, but I hear what they're saying.

Steve Urkel isn't dead; why didn't they get him to voice Sonic again?

Probably because Sega likely wants to expunge any reference to the old American versions of Sonic wherever they can.  Or they might have had existing voice actors available or under contract or something.

Anyway!  I could wax poetic about how Sonic has become garbage and how this won't change that, but I'll spare everyone.  It's been many years since I last really ranted on what's happened to Sonic and it's probably best to keep it that way.  :)  Either way, I sincerely doubt I'll be looking at this whenever it comes out.  Sega did a fantastic job of killing my interest in Sonic years ago, and lolknuckles isn't helping.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 06:05:29 pm »

They should definitely try to revive the franchise by making it much edgier, like Poochie from Simpsons.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 06:14:21 pm »

They should definitely try to revive the franchise by making it much edgier, like Poochie from Simpsons.
They already did that, with Shadow.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 06:16:09 pm »

Really, I think most of the metaphorical "us" just wants the saturday morning cartoons back. Something roughly on the same level, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 06:22:44 pm »

why is knuckles so swole

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 06:26:33 pm »

Really, I think most of the metaphorical "us" just wants the saturday morning cartoons back. Something roughly on the same level, anyway.

Pretty much.  The ship has pretty much sailed though, I believe.  The people who liked those cartoons (myself included) probably enjoy them more for nostalgia's sake than anything else.  So... making something new like them isn't likely to appeal very much to them.  Then they are unlikely to attract many who like Sonic as he is.  Not a good combination.

If they want to appeal to the modern western audience, I think their best bet is to use the existing video game characters as they are in a more traditional western cartoon format.  I can appreciate that maybe they were trying to do that here, but that Knuckles...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 06:57:52 pm »

I don't understand why people are angry about the new designs. It's not like the old "Start with Sonic, change one or two things and make it a different color" was an amazing strategy either, excluding newer (relative to the Genesis series) characters like Blaze and Rogue who AFAIK haven't been mentioned in relation to the cartoon. The new Knuckles actually looks strong, instead of just "No, take our word for it, he's totally much stronger and not as fast as Sonic, even though they're both exactly the same size and shape".
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 07:12:29 pm »

... least as far as I can remember, Knuckles was almost always portrayed as larger and stronger (heavier, sturdier frame, etc.) than your average mobian, particularly in most of the comics I can recall. It was just less of a, y'know, caricature. Dude had a neck. And wasn't hitting the 'roids. Had a more balanced exercise routine. Etc., etc.

Mostly it's the whole "radical departure from a design that has been around since 1994", though, I'd say. It's a bit... disrespectful, maybe? I mean, change is okay. Evolution of character design is a thing. It's happened with Knuckles before, and it's fine. This is just a bit sudden. "Mario sprouting Megaman legs" sudden.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:14:50 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 07:28:41 pm »

You know Knuckles was always a petty interesting character... In a time when side scrolling goodness meant no character had any personality beyond their abilities, he actually had a character arc. That is to say he went from smug asshole who wanted to screw with anybody that dared set foot on his island, believing he could protect the chaos emeralds alone, then having he crap beaten out of him and putting his pride to the side to accept some help. Granted it isn't an amazing story arc, but next to many games of similar genera is was the Sistine Chapel of platformers!

While many other old school heroes have actually developed a little personality over the years, Knuckles has managed to loose some.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 07:34:03 pm »

Quote from: a random article about this change
As you can see in the image above, Sonic now has long legs and wears a brown scarf, which is said to demonstrate his adventurous spirit. Meanwhile, Tails has a new utility belt and Amy wields a hammer. The most dramatic change, however, is for Knuckles, who is now depicted as a hulking heavyweight.

One of these things is not like the others.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 07:54:30 pm »

They should have given him a big gold belt he won at a Most Strong Guy competition.

EDIT: I don't know why but I am really pleased with this idea. Like, you would have random encounters with Strong Guys who want to challenge you for the belt, and part of owning the belt is accepting challenges.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 07:56:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure that is how wrestling leagues work...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2014, 08:01:10 pm »

I mean dudes on the street. Like you're climbing a mountain and there are some laughing lumberjacks and they spot you and are awed, but one steps forward and flexes his muscles and they creak like a tree, and he's all like "Best me in wood chopping, Most Strong Guy!" And if you make it they share their hard cider and tall tales with you, but if you fail you have to give up the belt because he is clearly now the Most Strong Guy.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »

Once again, I'm pretty sure that is how wrestling leagues work... Lumberjacks and all.
Pages: 1 [2]