Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: King of Dragon Pass (Strategy/Roleplaying game)[4/4]  (Read 11043 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: King of Dragon Pass (Strategy/Roleplaying game)[4/4]
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2013, 03:50:10 am »

Mousta slipped through the waters as silent as Hourlaw himself was said to have passed the Styx, and avoided waking the tollman.

She spotted the strange little being first-a duck in the shape of a man, fishing with his nimble webbed hands along the riverbank-who let out a comical squawk, and paddled rapidly away. She followed him, intrigued. Other warriors might have hucked a spear at first glance-indeed, her youngest son sitting beside her was rising to do just that when she gave him a warning glance. He sat back down. Mousta had long learned patience...and, when she looked upon the small 'tula' the little duckman arrived in, filled with similar beings, she knew her patience had been rewarded.

It was a fertile land-no cattle she could see, but delicious crops grew in great swaths, like they had fallen from the sky as snow. But, no cattle! Perhaps they hid their herds well. Small, rounded houses made of sticks and mud it looked like. No towers or walls-little stone at all, but she didn't know if this was the main area of the village. She saw few patrols, though had no doubt they had warriors among them. With a lack of what they called themselves, many of the keener eyed scouts noted the ducks had runes written on their bills. Hence, that became their name ever after.

Maybe they would be tested, soon enough. She crept silently back up the river with the rest of the party, to inform the clan of her finding.

"We should demand tribute. 40 bushels a year!" Mousta boomed, knocking back a mug of ale. In truth, she'd be happy with either-they submit, or they fight. Same to her, really. Those ducks certainly could afford it.

"This is just what we need to improve the warrior's morale." Mosdorl mused, blood on his mind.

Kenstrel, ever the voice of reason, chided carefully-"They may seem weak, but some beastfolk wield wild magics." he pointed out. In his long life, he had certainly seen them. Beastmen seemed closer to the Earth, and more able to manipulate the elements than the common man. Orlanthi Lore had pointed out the fool warrior, Tonbrook, who angered Aet by passing water on her holy crops. She had sent a dozen of her worshipers, those clad in the form of animals (commonly thought of as beastmen these days) and they had made the Earth swallow him up entirely. Of course, Tonbrook survived by a fools luck, as he always did.

"...The beastfolk were always Eunae's enemy, though he never killed them needlessly." Harran offered, sensing his wife's heavy thoughts, but giving her room to decide. In this regard, he was merely a member of the ring-each of them knew their duty to the clan, was separate from their marriage vows. He would not sacrifice one for the other, surely. But, he worried she sometimes thought too much, and did not feel enough.

"If we trade with them, the other clans will see us as eccentric." Kostardos said brightly, his knife doing slow loops through his knuckles-and as usual, no one could be sure if he meant this comment positively or negatively!

Kerendra, like all Orlanthi, knew beastmen only be deed-strange creatures, of varying sorts. No one was quite sure if they served chaos or not...but, they certainly seemed fond of raiding-much like Orlanthi themselves. She had heard of the swift centaurs, a torso of a man (or worse a woman with top unclad) and the strong lower body of a horse, who used arrows and spears at range...vicious bullmen who wielded great axes and hammers...and of course cunning Foxmen, who had a reputation for thievery and secret murder. There was even rumors of Waspmen who could travel the sky! Truly, as many varieties of amalgamations of animals as could be found in a local forest. All were dangerous and weird-again, as no doubt many Orlanthi could be considered.

Yet these ducks did not seem to be warriors. They were almost like her own clan, albeit clad in strange feathered forms.

Kerendra wondered. These ducks were not harming their interests, save by existing. Yet the Clan, the Ring, even her own instincts called for blood. Orlanthi tended to take what they wanted-force of battle being the ultimate adjudicator in the eyes of the Gods. She was a good chieftain in her own eyes, though, and thought through all alternatives. She had no doubt it pressed, even the seemingly smallest and weakest of beings could fight viciously. Which was good-no Orlanthi wished for a mere slaughter, preferring a good fight, to an easy one. She wondered how long they had lived there, and what they could trade each other. The beings certainly had no need of food. Calls to raid them would only become louder if the clan faced their own shortage...

Thinking back to Harran's words. Would Eunae himself wished them slain, or spared? Perhaps the God of knowledge might offer advice...she really only needed to know one thing. Should she treat them as Orlanthi, or as merely animals? Animals were slaughtered and driven away...but, you owed an Orlanthi some amount of respect, even if you did choose to raid them.

Harran sat cross legged in the rune-stone circle of Eunae, for they had not yet built a temple in his honor-a great many items or lore were laid about him, donated by the clan to hopefully entice his answer. He held out a parchment scroll, in his own writing. Paper was valuable to most learned Orlanthi, as it contained written knowledge. Slowly, carefully, he began writing the words to the prayer-every measured stroke of his charcoal pen done with great care. Then, he would lay the scroll against the smoke of a low burning stone brazier. The smoke would tinge the parchment, color it eventually grey, then black. But in the order it did so, some parts were lighter than others. Perhaps sometimes making shapes...or maybe even words...

And, those who revered Eunae knew one could make out Eunae's fated symbols in the drift of smoke, if they were wise and patient, and their God was pleased.

Action: Perform a divination. Ask Eunae how we should treat these strange beings. As men, or as beasts? Sacrifice ten gifts to him, if possible.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 03:57:05 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »

((Bump. I feel my RP sort of bumped out the update :X ))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2013, 11:11:11 pm »

CHARGE AND DRIVE THE LYSANG OFF THE TULA!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2013, 05:13:15 am »

Wostand to call for the help of Begnar asking to give him some divine strength for duration of the battle (Spend one magic)  and with a ferocious warcry lead the charge into raiders, never caring that there are more of them
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2013, 01:10:48 am »

Kardarvi
There was an intense clash! The enemy tries to maneuvre, but you broke their lines. Their magic was strong, but your warriors were stronger. You destroyed and routed the Lysang. You captured 8 horses.

Your auxiliaries kept 3 men from dying, and bandaged 4 of the wounded. No weaponthanes were killed and two were injured, while 2 footmen were slain and 5 were injured. The Lysang lost 4 weaponthanes and 19 of their fyrd.

Manskinner
((Last I heard, Ghaz is without internet. I was waiting on him to get back to us, but I guess I can clear your guys' turns in the mean time.))

Snapping Turtle
The signs are unclear. In the smoke, Harran deciphers the symbol for Ancestors, for Fire, and for War, but also for Water, Magic, and even Dragonewts.

Spoiler: Clan Ring (click to show/hide)
Wolani
There was a ferocious battle. The enemy charged while you were still sacrificing to your gods. Your magic was stronger than theirs, if just by a fraction. After a long clash, the Six Brothers routed the field. You captured 3 horses.

Your auxiliaries kept 5 men from dying, and 9 were bandaged up. Two weaponthanes were killed and one was injured, while 5 footmen were killed and 13 were injured. The Six Brothers lost 4 weaponthanes and 13 of their fyrd.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2013, 10:58:41 pm »

The signs were unclear. Did that mean they had displeased the Gods? Or were they being tested?

Nevertheless...the symbols of fire, war, and Dragons...it seemed their answer had been provided, at least partially. They were going to fight. She was humble-knowing they could be wrong here. But, they could only make decisions based on their own, human intuition.

Kerendra picked up her spear from it's place over the mantle. It was time to see what these Rune Ducks were made of.

Mousta's plan was simple. A 'feeling out' raid was in order. How hard did they fight? How vigilant were they? A surprise attack at dawn from the water was sure to ruin anyones day. Kerendra was coming along, for she was the chief, and had insisted they fight not to kill until they knew more about these beings-how they dealt with prisoners was important, as it was to their own people. Mousta would have told her sometimes it's not really up to you-the spear in your hand sometimes has a mind of it's own...but, she encouraged her men to spare those they could, promising a share of bounty on each living duck.

Privately, she wondered if they were edible. Even a talking duck probably tasted fine roasted over a spit with spoonfuls of apple wine, right?

Harran knew a large part of his reading was what had sent them on this raid. He knew he was not wrong...but, he wondered about what was going to transpire. Kerendra had decided to join the raid, against his private (and unvoiced) wishes.

He was a warrior, prepared to go to the Gods in his own fashion.

But when he imagined his wife facing the spears and slings of an enemy, there was a cold pit in his stomach he couldn't deny.

Kerendra smiled. She had to be confident-to lead her men to victory. While Mousta would be handling most of the actual battle planning, she did not intend to sit in the hall and wait for news. Her people needed to see she could be a warrior too. She just hoped it didn't kill her.

Then again...no one had any doubt they would win-they were Orlanthi, after all.

Action: Mousta leads a raid on the Rune Ducks land-fight to take prisoners. Use one magic. If we manage to take prisoners, bargain them back at higher than usual ransom. Also, we might question the survivors to determine many things.

Send all 8 thanes along with Mousta, Kerendra, Harran-and 200 footmen on our fastest boats. We try to attack with speed and surprise, at the next sunrise.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2013, 11:53:41 pm »

Snapping Turtle

You are raiding the Rune Ducks. They were completely unprepared for your attack, and only mustered 3 runekin and 64 footmen.

The battle was quick and decisive. Your magic, courage, and skill overwhelmed the pathetic ducks' paltry defense. The three rune covered ducks toss bolts of lightning at your weaponthanes, but your magic protected them.

With the runekin dead or disabled, and the footmen shattered, you are free to do what you want with the ducks. 
Spoiler: Party (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2013, 02:37:03 am »

Kerendra worries had been, it seemed, for naught-the Ducks had not been prepared in the slightest. The worst injury seemed to have been luckless Harrold-who had tripped on a rock, and cut his hand on his own knife.

They seemed more afraid than angry-to her, anyway. Most of them were not warriors, wore no armor and showed too many signs of easy living-wide waists and soft hands. More used to tilling soil than wielding a weapon.

While she didn't regret attacking them, she was glad she had given the order to spare as many as possible.

Kerendra approached one of the living Runekin-the other two were dead, having fought much more viciously than their overfed brethren. This one would probably lose an arm...but, he would live. She asked him questions-one after the other.

"Who is your leader? Who speaks for your people?

Do you worship the Dragonnewts? Do you know of Eunae and Aet?

How long have you lived here?

How many of you live in this land? Where do you keep your cattle?

What do you know of the Orlanthi?"

Action: Question the ducks!

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2013, 02:15:28 am »

Snapping Turtle
The startled but angry duck responds. "Our true leader is dead, killed by the dragonewts. Insins now leads us, as appointed by You Do Not See. Insins is in the clan hall, most likely."

"We do not worship the dragonewts, we fear them. A small group of them overwhelmed us months ago, killing many. We do not know what they want, for it is strange for them to do such a thing."

"We know much of Eunae, Aet, and the Storm Tribe. We are Eudaen, after all."

"We have lived here for many generations, before you came to this land, but after the Dragon War."

"We have no count of our peoples. Many hundred. Five, six, seven. Our knd has no use of cattle. Our kin in the swamps keep none, and we do the same."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2013, 02:34:10 am »

"...we too hate the Dragons and their ilk. Would that we had met in more fortuitous ways.

I shall let you go, Eudaen-duck. Go and tell your leader I would speak with him, to negotiate the ransom for the remaining-and the future of our two tribes. I promise to the Gods that those we captured shall come to no harm, as long as you do not attempt treachery."

With that, she cut the ropes binding his feet and arm with her knife.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2013, 10:57:18 pm »

As expected: Beastmen. The Tribe was ready. Marlesta put on the Skin of the Morle and the Druids of the Clan started their incantations.

The warriors had gathered and formed a shieldwall, their Shields covered in the skins of Dead Blue Jays from the last raid.

Use 2 Magic. Form Shieldwall and await their charge. The Manskinner Clan will not tremble. Also use the Skin of the Morle.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2013, 04:15:59 pm »

Manskinner
The fighting was furious. Your forces stood fast against their charge. You had no magic to spend, but neither did they. Marlesta was unable to fight due to her previous injuries, so Harbard took up the Skin. You drove the beastmen from the field.

Your auxiliaries kept 2 men from dying, and bandaged up 8 others. 1 weaponthane was killed and 2 were injured, while 6 of the fyrd died and 12 were injured. The beastmen lost 4 centaurs and 20 other beastmen.

Snapping Turtle
Soon after you released the duck, another replaces him. She has simple garb, but the amount of horned guards they sent with her implies she is their leader.

"I am Insins of the Rune Ducks. You have captured our footmen in honourable combat and, as an Eunaen, I am willing to pay the ransom for their release. My runekin tells me you have 32 of my fyrd. We have no cattle, and little in the way of trade goods, but I am willing to pay 85 bushels of food for their release."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2013, 03:26:08 am »

"We will take 100 bushels, for we have many hungry warriors in need of feeding. Pray we do not alter the deal further, or develop a taste for walking duck."

A chorus of rough laughs from her warband (Mousta's loudest among them) reminded her that this was not a terribly productive raid. At least she could show the appearance of having gotten as much as she could from them, and showed her clans strength. Maybe the warriors would feel better, despite such an easy battle.

"If you do not disagree, you may retrieve your kin and tend to their wounds...otherwise..."

((The Following is assuming no outrage and they accept the revised deal))

Then, as ropes were unbound and ducks tended to by their feathered mates, Kerendra motioned for the duck to follow her out of earshot of their respective clans.

"...But tell me, Insins of the Rune Ducks, what will that solve in the long run by itself? Our bellies will be more full for a time, and yours less so-and in a year or so we will be at each others throats once more. My people will demand it, as I think yours may as well. I've no need to see your people starved, nor mine go hungry. But given the choice, I'd favor the former over the latter.

We are not a warlike clan-yet we have overcome you, and showed mercy. Perhaps the Gods favored us this day, true, but our advantage is an obvious one. Others will come when our traders spread word of this, perhaps even the Dragonkin once again. And neither of us cannot suffer intrusion into our lands-not even from one another. My choice is difficult-to either displace your people, or cow them into submission-as is the right of the strong, to the weak.

Aet tells us 'There is always another way'.

You have shown us you are a proper Eunaen, despite your feathers and webbed feet. This is what the rite of combat has proven. I leave what happens now up to you-we are in many ways tied to one another. For the Dragons are our enemies as well, and have been since the ancient times. If they threaten you, they threaten all who live in this land. I am not so shortsighted to think they will only harm those we call foemen.

Speak to me as a leader does to a leader, and let our clansmen rest their wounds and grudges for a time-do you think it is possible we may find a way to live alongside one another? Or is the groundwater between us so foul as to never bear crops?"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:40:18 am by Dwarmin »

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2013, 01:40:46 am »

Snapping Turtle
"You have demanded more than you need, human, but I have little choice but to accept your terms. Our kinds are always fighting one another. The beastfolk and the humans... I expected no less or more from you."

"Can there be peace between us? I suppose it is possible. But you cannot deny who you are, and I the same. We are ducks, and you are men. If we were to cooperate, there would be much friction between our peoples."

"But if you are willing to take the path scorned by most of your kind, and extend your hand in friendship, I am willing to reciprocate the gesture, in spite of the overt aggression, however justified, you have shown today," the chief says.

"But beware, whatever schemes and perversions the dragonkin concoct in relation to my clan... You may well be dragged into it."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]