Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Getting real tired of Firefox  (Read 4248 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting real tired of Firefox
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 10:02:25 am »

I was gonna say start->run->telnet but apparently Win7 doesn't have Telnet ???
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 02:03:38 pm »

I've been eyeing this thread for a while, finally decided to read through it, glad I did. I've been having issues with Firefox for a while too. It just gets slower and slower, and crashier and crashier. I disabled updates a long time ago, when one of the updates messed up the font settings and broke a lot of web sites and I reverted to the previous version. I have stopped running flash games in it because it tends to crash, and when I try to watch videos it also crashes a lot if the video tab is open for too long.

I also use Chrome, but not enthusiastically. Now and then I try to log into my email on another computer (gmail) only to discover I've been tricked into logging into the browser (the login page is EXACTLY THE SAME), which means that all my history and bookmarks and everything have been copied on to that computer. Usually it's a work computer, and everything is in Czech, and it is a son of a bitch trying to remove my profile and make sure my stuff is scrubbed off the computer as much as possible.

I didn't know there were so many other options. My main reason for continuing to use Firefox is security. I use NoScript and Ghostery and it seems to keep my computer safe, even on shady web sites (none of your business which ones >B[ ). I use Chrome for things that need to run fast, like email and forums and such, web sites I trust, and Firefox for anything that could potentially be dangerous. I'll check out these other browsers...

How do you actually install Chromium? The web site seems to offer only complicated instructions on how to "build" the browser, similar to that one time I decided I wanted to try Linux then found out you needed a degree in computer science to understand the directions and I never looked at Linux again. Is there, like... an installer? For all us non-programmers?

I think I'll try Pale Moon first. I see a DOWNLOAD button on that page...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 02:11:03 pm »

Let us know how Palemoon works out for you. ^^^ If it doesn't, then I'd recommend going ahead and switching to IceDragon. I've been using that for basically two weeks now and I haven't had many problems out of it. The only one I really have is that there's some social sharing thing when you drag stuff. I don't usually do that so it's not that big a deal, and I don't use social media or whatever the buzzphrase for Twitter/Facebook/so forth is these days, but I can see it being an annoyance to others.

A bit more in-depth is that if you drag something to the left you'll get social sharing options. Conversely, if you drag it to the right you get some useful options: web search, image search, wikipedia search, youtube search, and translate.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 02:13:48 pm »

Um... Problem with Palemoon. Alt-text doesn't show up. This is vitally important when I read webcomics. Most of them have an extra joke in the alt-text if you hover the mouse over the image. Example: www.xkcd.com - can any Palemoon users tell me if there's a way to make the alt-text display? If not, I cannot live with this browser...

Edit: I tried to post on their forum to ask about this, and they're not making it easy. To sign up, I had to answer several anti-spam questions and provide a password with both uppercase and lowercase characters. Then, when I finally got registered and wrote my topic, I got a notification that my message has been submitted, but must be approved before it will be posted to the web site, and I will be notified when this happens.

Are they fucking serious? It's a forum for a browser. A free, open-source browser. What the hell is all the security about?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:28:03 pm by Sappho »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 03:02:04 pm »

Idk, they are a bit weird, I use Palemoon for online gaming only, I use Safari for anything else, it runs on all operating systems.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 03:13:42 pm »

Well, I tried to run Therian Saga on it and it wants me to install Silverlight again. So I think I'm going to just go back to suffering through Firefox. It has its issues, but at least they are familiar issues.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »

Unfortunately that does seem to be the only way to get Chromium, I'll have to remember that before I recommend it again in the future.

On the topic of Linux if you still have any interest in it I'd recommend Ubuntu. They have very easy to follow step by step installation instructions and even an installer for Windows.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 04:53:43 am »

Update: I got rid of PaleMoon and installed IceDragon. It certainly looks nice, but runs VERY slowly, and I'm now having the same problem with it as I did with PaleMoon: alt-text and title-text for images does NOT display in a tooltip. Also, exactly as Palemoon, several parts of the program don't show up right. If I click the Ghostery button, the menu bubble pops up and briefly displays the information, then in a fraction of a second the information disappears and the bubble turns white. If I click the logo in the upper-left to open the program menu, it flashes then disappears. Tooltips do not display anywhere. Something is wrong here.

I don't understand. It works fine on Firefox. Can anyone help out here? Or should I take this question to the computer help thread?

Edit: Hm... Another issue. The menu bar at the top is way too big, and the very top of it isn't even usable. By that I mean that in Firefox (or Chrome), the tabs are clickable even if I move the mouse pointer all the way to the top of the screen. In IceDragon, the clickable part of the tabs seems to be the same size, but they've added an extra 5 pixels or so at the top which is not clickable. It's just there for no reason, taking up space on my small laptop screen. I've changed the menu options to use small buttons, but it's still too big. Is there any way to change that? I'm looking but I can't find one.

I might be stuck with Firefox after all. It may have problems, but at least the interface is well-designed and my tooltips work... It crashes sometimes, but until it crashes it actually WORKS the way I want it to. It seems these other browsers completely mess up all the things I *like* about Firefox. Isn't there one that just fixes security issues and crashes without screwing up the interface?

Edit2: Okay, it turns out the "hardware acceleration" was what was messing up the tooltips. So that's fixed. And I found an extension that shrinks up the interfact a lot, so it doesn't take up so much space. I still can't get rid of the few useless pixels at the top of the tabs that can't be clicked, but now it's only about 2 pixels, so at least it's an improvement. I'll give this a week and see how it feels.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:33:34 am by Sappho »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 11:41:13 am »

Update: I got rid of PaleMoon and installed IceDragon. It certainly looks nice, but runs VERY slowly, and I'm now having the same problem with it as I did with PaleMoon: alt-text and title-text for images does NOT display in a tooltip. Also, exactly as Palemoon, several parts of the program don't show up right. If I click the Ghostery button, the menu bubble pops up and briefly displays the information, then in a fraction of a second the information disappears and the bubble turns white. If I click the logo in the upper-left to open the program menu, it flashes then disappears. Tooltips do not display anywhere. Something is wrong here.

I don't understand. It works fine on Firefox. Can anyone help out here? Or should I take this question to the computer help thread?

Edit: Hm... Another issue. The menu bar at the top is way too big, and the very top of it isn't even usable. By that I mean that in Firefox (or Chrome), the tabs are clickable even if I move the mouse pointer all the way to the top of the screen. In IceDragon, the clickable part of the tabs seems to be the same size, but they've added an extra 5 pixels or so at the top which is not clickable. It's just there for no reason, taking up space on my small laptop screen. I've changed the menu options to use small buttons, but it's still too big. Is there any way to change that? I'm looking but I can't find one.

I might be stuck with Firefox after all. It may have problems, but at least the interface is well-designed and my tooltips work... It crashes sometimes, but until it crashes it actually WORKS the way I want it to. It seems these other browsers completely mess up all the things I *like* about Firefox. Isn't there one that just fixes security issues and crashes without screwing up the interface?

Edit2: Okay, it turns out the "hardware acceleration" was what was messing up the tooltips. So that's fixed. And I found an extension that shrinks up the interfact a lot, so it doesn't take up so much space. I still can't get rid of the few useless pixels at the top of the tabs that can't be clicked, but now it's only about 2 pixels, so at least it's an improvement. I'll give this a week and see how it feels.
@Icedragon notes: Mmm? I have Ghostery and the only problem I get with it is, while enabled, it doesn't show in the navigation toolbar (yet still works despite that), also...
Err, I'm running close to 350 tabs (80% B12. Woohoo disorganization u_u) and it's running smoothly. Also...tooltip? If you mean things with the /abbr or /acronym tag, they show up perfectly (unlike Google Chrome, who somehow can't see that dotted underline on words which have said tag).

If I click the logo in the upper-left to open the program menu, it flashes then disappears. Tooltips do not display anywhere. Something is wrong here.
Indeed, and...and I can't help due to not knowing what is wrong.
But it's not the browser, methinks. D:

Take it to the computer help thread. I hope I'm helping by saying what seems to be normal and giving comparison though...

Oh.
Pixels? I see nothing out of place with the top of the tabs other than me still not finding what SC pointed out earlier (on not being able to move that tab-bar)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 12:55:03 am »

I switched to Firefox from Opera years ago, because a lot of websites don't even recognize Opera.
Firefox turned out to be sluggish and a memory hog on Win Vista, so I switched to Chrome. Firefox seems designed for Linux.

Chrome sucks because of the Googlish way they recommend everything to you and track everything you do. So use it under incognito mode. I'd be worried about them collecting personal data, but I use Gmail and Android for everything, so they know about all my secret romances. Facebook and Whatsapp already have all my private data and cybersex logs. If Chrome were some other evil data mining corporation I probably wouldn't use it, but Google won the data mining race with Android.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 01:19:16 am »

I use Chrome, mostly because it's nice and fast.

Several years ago, I would have slapped myself for falling into Google's trap of data collection and other nonsense, but now I've decided that I really don't give a sod.
Which probably isn't the best plan, but never mind that. Laziness will take you far!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 2 [3]