Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are your overseer preferences?  (Read 2934 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are your overseer preferences?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 03:35:29 am »

I never build a temporary fort, even when the primary fort is going to take years to complete. The dorfs can sleep just fine on the floor, thank you very much.

I'm another one of those people who refuse do dig rooms in soil and I engrave absolutely everything.

I always dig my central staircase straight down to magma, with no deviation whatsoever. If I hit a cavern, I build stairs down to the floor, rather than go around. I do this way sooner than I need/ought to; I'm pretty much always at the magma sea by the second spring, usually sooner.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 05:44:53 am »

I have a profound love for cold coniferous forest.
I hate irregular hills. Either i embark on a perfectly flat land, or i manage to embark on the flank of a mountain.
When embarking on the flank of the mountain, i want the cliff to be on the north side of the map, and going from east to west.
Similarly on ocean/lake embark. I need a straight east/west line, and the water on the north half of the map.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 05:45:59 am »

My forts are always symmetrical and based off an 11*11 system of squares, with a single space between each square.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:14 am »

My Fortress is organic.  It is built on the need of the moment but also with some knowledge of where I would like to place workshops and stockpiles for future use.  So every Fortress looks slightly different.  I TRY to think ahead - make two bedrooms with only one door, sometimes make more than one stairway between some of the living levels for ease of use, dig lower tunnels so there are choke points where traps can be placed, so on.  I do have a habit of decentralizing my Fortress - more than one dining area, sometimes more than one hospital.  I DO try to keep all the offices and Noble quarters together so I can see them all at a glance.  My first bedrooms end up clustering near the surface, than a few levels down in the stone, than more are created as more Dwarfs show up and as I get deeper into the earth.

I also have a habit of digging out rooms before I need them.  So sometimes I just put what I need, at the moment, into a room.  So sometimes levels look very mixed up and somewhat random.   
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 02:54:58 pm »

For contrast, I dislike flat embarks/the entrance being a stairwell/ramps down, instead preferring a horizontal tunnel dug into a hill/mountainside (as long as the spot has at least 2z worth of height difference, it's ok). I have done them though, and even my current fort is on the flat floor of the river valley.

I also prefer odd-number-based layouts to even-number ones. And smooth all my underground magma/water pipes. No engravings, though.

Andrakon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PLAYIN_THE_FOOL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 05:02:28 am »

I like to embark with some ocean on my map, I don't do it often but the maps I play the longest have ocean. I prefer 1 or 2 z levels of variation on my surface, so either small hills here or there or large parts of the map being higher than others. I prefer to embark with at least one tower nearby and several goblin fortresses. The more people I am at war with at embark the better! Goblin wars with 80+ strong sieges are fun! I also enjoy evil places as long as they don't rain FUN constantly, so constant rains of elf blood are ok. Half the time I embark with just a pick and no skills.

I never build anything in a soil layer except farms. I always have underground and surface crops. I prefer big open spaces throughout most of the forts and I build using as many z-levels as I can. I tend to fit the whole fort within my viewing window so I don't need to move the screen, just go up and down z-levels. I always build a large defensive tower above my entrance. Sometimes I even build a 3 z-level wall around my fort so dwarves can go outside in a large field safely. I always build a bath floor with a statue garden and any buildable artifacts and always provide soap. And I read the descriptions of every artifact created. Also everyone gets a 3x3 room.

I tend to wall off at least one cavern as long as it is not too hard to do so. I only dig into the candy on long long term maps. And my military is usually entirely archers in metal armor. I also like to try out drastically different fortress designs. I usually refuse nobility for several years or indefinitely. I prefer to have a mega project to work on. I also love catching a bronze colossus and use it to wipe out zombie invasions and sometimes sieges. They are so easy to catch in a cage it's silly. I also tend to have very few cage traps, usually only 3 across my main hallway entrance.

Tetist Agsal, "The Flimsiness of Pools", an obsidian hatch cover. On the item is an image of two flesh balls in iron... ROFLMAO
Pages: 1 [2]