Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are your overseer preferences?  (Read 2936 times)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are your overseer preferences?
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:17:00 pm »

I'm also a hobbyist wood worker (with the labors wood hauling and furniture hauling enabled as we move into our new house with the speed of a teetotaling dwarf) and I prefer broadleaf forests to coniferous.  In fact, I'm strongly considering an 8 by 8 embark just to get some hardwoods on my map, so I can make hardwood beds and use softwoods for bins and burning.

This would actually be a micromanagement challenge for me to segregate hard and softwoods by task - I suppose I would need to have different stockpiles.  I could manually order bin production at the carpenter's workshop near the softwood stockpile.  I suppose the military could use softwood beds so I could (m)anage bed production.  Then the apprentice carpenters would be limited to the softwood workshops and then graduate into hardwood carpenters.

Anyhow, do you folks have any preferences that influence how you play the game but that don't really impact the gameplay?  (Preferring iron to exist at embark doesn't count because that effects the gameplay).
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: What are your overseer preferences?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:14:07 pm »

I prefer rooms in odd-number dimensions so that they have distinct one-tile central axes/points. I also prefer to make items of clothing out of sensible materials, i.e. no silk shoes or leather dresses or anything silly like that.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:03:06 pm »

I never dig rooms out of sand or soil. Everything must be carved from raw stone.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:56:02 pm »

I always design forts in a manner I think the dwarves would "like." I'll sacrifice efficiency and ease for aesthetic reasons. I build passages that twist and curve. I design apartments and multi level houses. I just like my forts to be both visually appealing for me, and to make sense as if I was walking through them.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:07:54 pm »

I want to engrave everything, even if it is not in a room that needs value. I don't like to have bare walls in my fort.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 10:27:23 pm »

1: In the vast majority of cases, I work on odd numbers.  Halls are 1, 3, 5, or so on squares wide, rooms are 3x3, 5x5, 11x11... you get the idea.  The lone exception: 2x2 bedrooms are employed if I'm afraid of vampires, though more often I'll use 1x3 "hall" bedrooms
2: Workshops are built in "Cozy" rooms -- ones that fit them directly, so most shops go in 3x3 rooms with siege workshops on 5x5's.  They have one entrance in the center of a single side, and a door is placed in the entrance.  I started this practice because of failed moods, but even now that it's a really, REALLY rare event I keep on with it.
3: NOTHING is built in soil if I can avoid it, with the following exceptions: Farm Plots, Farmer's Workshops, Screw Presses, and Querns/Millstone for actual buildings, along with pastures and digging out soil layers for tree farms
4: I don't do metalworking without magma if I can avoid it.  Non-magma smelters & forges are only built if I decided to embark with tetrahedrite instead of a pick, or if a metalworker moods before I can set up magma industries.  In either case, they're promptly deconstructed when no longer required.  The same goes for Glass and Ceramics.
5: Everything gets smoothed.  If it's practical, everything is engraved too, but if I hit soil on a layer where I wasn't expecting it (>:() I'll just keep it smoothed for the looks, since constructed floors can't be engraved.
6: Basic Dwarven amenities are a 1x3 or 2x2 room with bed, stone cabinet, and stone coffer, and a 1x1 tomb with stone sarcophagous.  Dining halls are communal
7: Elves are treated decently when they come to the fortress.  They may be horrible, hypocritical, people-eating maniacs, but they let me turn my XXclothesXX into Giant Monster Cage (Highwood) (or a bin of new cloth), with is too useful to pass up.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 07:18:53 am »

This would actually be a micromanagement challenge for me to segregate hard and softwoods by task - I suppose I would need to have different stockpiles.  I could manually order bin production at the carpenter's workshop near the softwood stockpile.
You can set workshops to take from only designated stockpiles. Unfortunately, you can't select a workshop to use when using the job manager, so you'll have to create jobs at the workshops themselves (use a hotkey to get to the area quickly).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Keome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 03:18:41 pm »

I use a more sensible and aesthetic design layout.  It's not efficient, but it works well enough.

Farms and food production are in the lowest dirt/clay level above the stone.

Storage is in the first stone level.
Workshops are in the next level.
More storage on the next level.

Workshops are linked to the storage levels by stairs so that the stockpiles are closer.  Mason workshops are built in the middle of a stone stockpile, etc.

Forges are located over stockpiles for the metal bars and fuel.

Under all of that is the first habitat level with rooms, infirmary, dining hall, bedrooms.

Levels under that have more stuff, depending on my needs.  More housing, more storage, whatever I need.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:57:46 pm »

My wells are always built over artificial waterways with a separate entrance and exit connected to a river.  I know it doesn't make a difference with flow, but I don't like the idea of dead-end water sources.  I also give wells for the hospital and the wells for the general public separate sources.

heritage727

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:32 am »

I never reclaim goblin loincloths. Gross.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 06:56:44 am »

clothiers and farms at soil lvl, stone processing and metal at pre-cavern stone lvls, charcoal at ground lvl.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:20:46 am »

You're denying yourself a hefty profit from those stupid humans. Coins are only as permanent as the ore veins and minting presses of the world. Loincloths are as permanent as the immortal goblins of the world, and humans recognize their value.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 07:44:30 am »

Thank you.  I have this mental image of Sumo dwarfs wearing only reclaimed loincloths.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 10:56:15 pm »

I pretty much always dig my hallways 3 tiles wide, and *always* smooth *everything*. I usually engrave it, too, even when there's no real reason.

Also, I almost always try to embark on an area as flat as possible. Hills really annoy me for some reason

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 01:42:52 am »

My fortresses always have a "pipe" level, where I run Magma to my forges, and water to my wells. All of the pipes have to be engraved before I can allow flow(since I'll never be able to engrave it later). This actually provides good training for my engravers, so it's not too bad.

The first layer of my fortress MUST be in soil, while the second must be stone. I'll spend stupid amounts of time making this the case with cave ins and channeling before beginning construction.
Pages: [1] 2