Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Hotline Miami 2  (Read 16451 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami 2
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2015, 04:12:45 am »

Casualties is kicking my arse like there's no tomorrow. Couldn't even finish the bastard.
Use the sniper rifle to take out the fatties/troublesome AK troopers and shank the lesser Ruskies while using the buildings/environment as cover.
Spoiler: alternately (click to show/hide)

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:04 am »

I feel like way to often I have to kite enemies so I don't get shot the moment I enter a room.

It's not exactly spoiling the experience, but it is making it increasingly frustrating.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2015, 09:12:18 am »

It's just because you're almost required to die 10 times in levels like those to get a sense of where the gun patrols and shooters camped at windows are.

I think I broke 1000 deaths before I was even halfway done with the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2015, 06:31:22 pm »

Found what seems like a pretty tight analysis of the storyline, as far as the non-mystical elements go. It should go without saying it contains ALL TEH SPOILERS, but there, I've said it. Be prepared for a critical lack of paragraphs when you need them most.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/274170/discussions/0/617330227194121372/#p6

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though I've kinda swore off reading RPS, their RPS Verdict chat did kind of soften my position on the game mechanics. Not by much, if I'm honest, but a little. Whether you like Hotline Miami 2 kind of comes down to whether you prefer the free form style of the first game, or the exacting execution requirements of the second.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:42:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2015, 10:17:40 pm »

The first floor of Demolition, now that's an action puzzle.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2015, 04:45:14 am »

Overcame those final few levels and while I think the original was a tighter experience, they tried more interesting stuff this time around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2015, 11:31:13 pm »

Yeesh, I forgot how awful the level design in this is.  Just replayed Moving Up (the fans rescue the girl) on normal.  It's... guess and check and remember.  The flow from the first is gone.

Which is awful because the music is excellent, I love the characters, and the plots are pretty good.  And a lot of the game is still fun, but just...  Long hallway with gunman at the end is just bad design.  Baiting people around corners gets so tedious, compared to the first.

Still really glad I played this.  And I actually don't regret completing the hard mode, but only because it felt good to get really angry at a thing (instead of people).  Same reason I played more than 5 minutes of slippy fuck repetition, I mean Super Meat Boy.

Also, I played the Reporter's first mission first (the mission before Moving Up).  It was pretty easy on normal, and I just love how he unloads the guns.  Reminds me of this: http://www.doctorshrugs.com/foxhound/comic.php?id=294
Ah, Last Days of Foxhound...  I still consider it more canon than any of the actual MGS games.

Anyway yeah, HM2 has a rad plot with great trimmings and fresh mechanics.  But the level design makes my head hurt.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2015, 06:49:49 pm »

So, I've been screwing around in the alpha level editor (If you want to check it out yourself, which I recommend you do if you have a copy of the game, Reddit can help!) and I really enjoy making levels. It's annoying how long the final version of the level editor seems to be taking, though.
Anyone else made any levels in it?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2015, 11:30:12 pm »

Sorry, I haven't.  I wonder if the user-made levels are less BS than the included ones?

Damn, the music is incredible though.  "The Way Home" could have been called "Forlorn Hope" instead, but it works either way.
https://youtu.be/my1vupvCgwA?t=7954
Holding on to hope that you know is fake...  Somehow taking comfort in it.  I think the track captures that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]