Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Hotline Miami 2  (Read 16431 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami 2
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2015, 09:30:42 pm »

Finished:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While I don't regret buying it and finishing it, I don't feel like much of my appreciation has changed. It's more like "Yeah, that happened" rather than "OOMMMMMGGGGGG CLOSURE!" Put another way, I could have not played HLM2 and found myself in the same place: in love with the first game. It's not that HLM2 is a bad game with a bad story. I think someone's artistic vision just went a little overboard, and they weren't interested in pursuing an idea so much as just giving the idea an extended farewell. In that sense, HLM2 is like the end of the Remastered Starwars Trilogy, a long panning look at the world you like before the screen goes dark.

I think it's going to be a while before a fan campaign that is cohesive enough to carry the story anywhere emerges. What's nice I suppose though, is that the world of HLM has always stayed vague enough you can end up with a lot of different intrepretations by a lot of different authors.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:06:33 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2015, 10:00:40 pm »

If anyone wants a bit more content from the story, watch the hard mode intro (Not Midnight Animal, youll have to start a new game) and play through the bonus level Abyss.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2015, 10:14:44 pm »

If anyone wants a bit more content from the story, watch the hard mode intro (Not Midnight Animal, youll have to start a new game) and play through the bonus level Abyss.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2015, 10:16:31 pm »

*sigh* I may have to wait a while before hard mode. Some of those levels were such a chore I can't really say I had fun, it was anger that got me through them more than anything, and I'm not in a rush to do it all again.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:17:01 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2015, 10:24:00 pm »

Speaking of the game being intentionally self-contradictory to create theories, I found that the cleverest part of the game story. Mysteries invest people, even if they aren't answered. I'm glad they made sure to keep the vague and Lynchian tone going rather then just doing what some other devs would do and go "Right, let's answer all open questions and wrap up all possible loose ends!".

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2015, 10:38:52 pm »

Spoilers about completing hard mode.
Not worth pushing yourself through it if you're not enjoying the gameplay.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2015, 10:54:14 pm »

Speaking of the game being intentionally self-contradictory to create theories, I found that the cleverest part of the game story. Mysteries invest people, even if they aren't answered. I'm glad they made sure to keep the vague and Lynchian tone going rather then just doing what some other devs would do and go "Right, let's answer all open questions and wrap up all possible loose ends!".

Sure, it's an effective trick but it can make it hard to take authorial intent seriously when it feels like they're manipulating you with easy cues. For example, take any scene in any movie an add a guy wearing a Zebra mask standing there silently, and no one acknowledges them. Dats vierd right?! I'm not saying that's the extent HLM does or has gone to, but it indulges quite a bit. And in a game where the central question is "Just WTF is going on", I dunno. I expected some resolution rather than....

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:08:03 pm by nenjin »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2015, 11:06:25 pm »

That makes sense. I'm the kind of guy who gets disappointed at official explanations, so you can see why I bought into a storyline that could be interpreted as (And probably is) needlessly ambiguous.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2015, 11:29:14 pm »

Alright, just completed the game. Analysis a-go-go!
I like games where some things are left up to the player. Hotline Miami 2 remembers this, thankfully. Well, at least some of the time. By the way, does anyone know the music that plays in the End Credits?

Thanks for this, and all the other plot discussion.  Seeing other peoples' interpretations really helped me understand what I just saw.  I also missed a lot of little things.  Posting to watch, also.

I really enjoyed the plot, but like a lot of people, I was super frustrated by the huge levels full of gun-enemies.  Particularly those looong hallways where all you can do is inch forward at max shift-look, because there might be a patrolling gun-enemy just beyond your vision.  Even shittier because there usually actually is one, or even two.  The game punishes taking any risk at all.

Edit:  I even went back and played a couple levels of HM1 just to make sure I was remembering right.  I was, it flows a *lot* better and rewards good reactions rather than forcing you to make a plan for every room due to excessive enemy overwatch from offscreen.  There are still gotcha-windows, but the floors are small enough that you can actually see them coming...  Or at least remember them easily, and dying isn't a big deal.  I planned to only play two levels (on a touchpad, no less) and ended up playing 5 and having fun.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:33:32 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2015, 12:22:44 am »

I gotta say, I would not mind playing a broader game in the same style. I think they really hit a nice balance of twitch skill, smoothness, "crunchiness" with both games and I'd like to play something similar from them, that can be lived in a little more. There's almost no downtime in HLM, you're going from a cutscene to a level with just a little walkabout, which leaves me feeling a little strung out after I play it. I think a larger RPG-style game done in the same fashion by them could be pretty successful.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:27:11 am by nenjin »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2015, 07:16:14 am »

It would be pretty great if there was an open world Hotline Miami. Like an ultraviolet GTA 2.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2015, 08:28:58 am »

It would be pretty great if there was an open world Hotline Miami. Like an ultraviolet GTA 2.
I dunno, sounds like a map with infinite windows.

Though even with a hub world map where you just pick which level to go to, I wonder if it wouldn't lose out too much on the style and story.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2015, 08:34:34 am »

Re: HM2 feels like DLC stitched together - that's somewhat hilarious... because that is almost literally what HM2 is. It started as a DLC expanding on the story post-HM1 ending, but it got bloated in scale enough that the devs decided to just develop it as a full game.

Re: Flow. That's what made HM1 so great for me. Once I've played the game through once or twice, it was just the pure joy of the flow, taking off the deliberate planning hat and just running on pure instinct and reflex. Perhaps once I go through 2 it will get the same for me - I know that Jake's final level felt much better on my second run - but the level design in several levels (notably, the Fans girl rescuing one, the Detective one at the marina, the final Soldier mission...) seems far less conducive to that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2015, 08:21:41 am »

This is the most intense video game I've played in ages. Felt like it took a long while to get warmed up, but I really appreciated the ending levels.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 18, 2015, 03:58:43 am »

Casualties is kicking my arse like there's no tomorrow. Couldn't even finish the bastard.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11