Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising  (Read 28803 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: StarDrive - a space 4x that is looking very promising
« Reply #300 on: May 01, 2015, 05:43:35 pm »

So has anyone else picked up Stardrive 2 after the somewhat disappointing show that was Stardrive? I'm rather liking it so far, as it shows a bit of what the original could have been had it not been abandoned so quickly.

Turn based with real time battles, and a light XCOM-esque ground troop control make for interesting gameplay, though the early game seems to take forever to get into the good toys. Railguns and gauss cannons are a bit broken right now, as they're able to tear through ships from one starting point to another, but you need to research big enough hulls to put them to use.

The Traits and Research systems are very much reminiscent of (and some may say completely ripped from) Master of Orion 2. It ends up offering a good deal of flexibilty and specialization one way or another, as each research has three things you can potentially choose from, unless you get the Creative trait, which (while expensive in the race creation screen) allows you to get all three.

On a side note, I'm unable to access my account on their forums, and the Contact Us form on the main site is broken whenever I try to use it. Anyone able to assist with that?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2015, 06:19:12 am »

tried that game.
i can not see any reason to play it over moo2.
whats good in stardrive 2 is directly cloned from moo2, and where its not a direct clone, its worse then moo2.
it also seems to be rather instabile. the one game i played started to crash reproducable at turn end when i was 2/3 through the tech tree.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2015, 06:43:36 am »

Stardrive 2 was pretty terrible. The soundtrack was about the best part of it. It can't really boast any improvements over the first iteration. I had high hopes for this thing but nope.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2015, 02:30:38 pm »

It lost its mechanical uniqueness when it lost the full-realtime gameplay and grid-based ship damage mechanics. SD2 is just a largely crappier Sword of the Stars with a more complicated ship designer.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]