Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Jabberers and cave dragons no longer in the game?  (Read 1455 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jabberers and cave dragons no longer in the game?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 03:22:09 pm »

Even though enemy cave dragons can't be tamed, if they're restrained by a chain and made non-hostile to dwarves, will they then attack any goblins who come within reach?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 03:24:08 pm »

Even though enemy cave dragons can't be tamed, if they're restrained by a chain and made non-hostile to dwarves, will they then attack any goblins who come within reach?
no, they keep their civ status...
In a time before time, I had a name.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »

Yeah, they will always be hostile to you.  You CAN give the order to train them though.  Your animal handlers will get experience, and your fortress's expertise in cave dragons (or whatever animal it is) will increase too.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 04:43:42 pm »

Oh, that is good to know!  I really like the new training mechanic and how it also affects your civ's knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:45:22 pm by VerdantSF »

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 04:46:22 pm »

Just make sure they stay in their cage...
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 05:02:35 pm »

I never got the option to train it when I caught one. Same with the Blind Bears, Cave Crocodiles etc. that the gobs were riding, no options to tame or train at all, they didn't appear in the Z/animals list.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 05:22:40 pm »

Well, I'll get to test again, another horde of Gobbos have arrived, this time with 16 Cave Dragons.  :o

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »

Well, I'll get to test again, another horde of Gobbos have arrived, this time with 16 Cave Dragons.  :o

Good luck, I eagerly await the results!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:09:25 pm »

I just checked out the legends export and I've got over 14k cave dragons and 18k jabberers for world pops.  Export local image appears to be just the bitmap image, though.  I've been googling all over the place, but I can't find info on how to export biome specific populations.  Checking on the modding forum now.

I found the region1-world-sites-and-pops file, but it only shows civilized sites, and total numbers for all above ground and subterranean creatures.  I may have been hallucinating, unfortunately.

While looking I noticed my world has over 200k giant sperm whales, 8k sea serpents ([POPULATION_NUMBER:1:1], does this mean there are 8000 savage oceans on my world????)  and over 3 million giant sponges ([POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500], wtf toady)

I also noticed I have 4 fire-based demon types and 2 glass-based types (ohgod)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:26:47 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:26 pm »

Just for the sake of science, I closed the doors and spammed traps like no tomorrow. I captured 9 Cave Dragons as well as several Blind Bears, Cave Crocodiles and an assortment of Goblins who don't really count.

I was wrong, I guess I didn't check properly.   ???
I am getting the option to tame Blind Cave Bears and Cave Crocodiles which the Goblins were using as mounts.

I have 9 Cave Dragons caged but no options for them though.

And another siege has arrived just as I am clearing up the mess for this one, they are out to get me lol. I guess this makes up for the initial 5 years of wonderfully boring peace. Interesting times... No Cave Dragons this time though just Ogres this time so I'm going to remove most of these traps because it's too cheesy lol.  :o

My trainer is level 12 by the way.

Edit:
Ok I think I know why.
The mounts were STRAY not WAR trained so I was able to train them, The Dragons on the other hand were not mounts and are war trained. This could mean the difference so if they are mounts instead of attack beasts then perhaps you should get the training option?
Oh and the crocs and bears disappear from the "Z" list when trained, they are still classed as prisoners but I've got a bit of knowledge on Cave Bears now from it.

Now, what do I do with 9 500 year old hostile war trained Cave dragons?  :o
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:06:31 pm by Sir Crashalot »

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 07:06:00 pm »

Now, what do I do with 9 500 year old hostile war trained Cave dragons?  :o

well, you could keep the males around on a leash in case you manage to capture a female that you can train. the rest, you could try dropping them off a cliff and see if you can make some cool-sounding leather/bone items :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:59 pm »

Just because the war dragons are invaders doesn't mean you cant feed dwarves, humans, elves, kittens, pets (use pasture), or wild animals to them.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 07:12:18 pm »

Captured egglayers won't breed, because they won't claim nest boxes. You could change cave dragons to give live birth, but bear in mind that the newborns are affiliated to your fortress and the mother will attack them if she can.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 07:22:40 pm »

Well, I have 600 odd Cave Dragon Tallow so far with 9 live in cages.. hmm how much soap will I need to build a tower? lol
Pages: 1 [2]