Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Experience with "Freakish" Weather  (Read 1097 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
First Experience with "Freakish" Weather
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:20:02 pm »

Was playing a bit of DF during some down-time in the lab today, and saw the "freakish" weather stuff for the first time; I don't really have the time to be able to commit to maintaining a log, but this was too funny.  I embarked to a terrifying biome, and after reading the embark message, imagine the logs going as follows:

Day 1: The tire on the cart has broken, and the timing couldn't have been worse - I swear I saw giant cheetahs just the other day... the miners have started a small shaft, so we can at least have some stone over our heads.  Not that it will save us, this place is cursed.

Day 7: Everything proceeding as expected - minor run-ins with local otter-people, no violent confrontations yet.

Day 9: It's begun to rain elven blood... cursed though this place may be, perhaps it's not so bad after all.

Day 15: It's begun raining elven blood again.  Everything going well so far.

Day 23: It's begun raining elven blood for the third time this month, we now believe this to be a regular occurrence here.  The ground is slick, and it's hard to find grass even from our high vantage point on the side of the hill.  This is a good place to live.

:P  At this point, there are nothing more than small specks of green, scattered amongst the wide field covered in elven blood.  Even the two rivers and the waterfall feeding them are completely soaked through.  The dwarves don't seem too bothered. :P
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Experience with "Freakish" Weather
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:23:57 pm »

Terrifying biome with only blood rain? And those animals wandering in are alive too? Sounds too easy to be true.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

comham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:27:26 pm »

I just finished my first proper fortress* in an embark where one of the corners had freakish weather, again raining elven blood. I tried to build a water tower to contain a reservoir of elven blood, but either that's not possible or I did it wrong. The regular rain in the other areas of the map did refill the pre-existing ponds though.

*Man, going through the legends viewer about all the things linked to my fort afterwards was amazing

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:27:59 pm »

Might have only been sinister or haunted. Terrifying biomes can have it happen too, but in my experience it's very rare to have a non-reanimating, non-wandering-undead, non-fatal weather all at once there.

I think my first terrifying biome excursion ended with 3 ogre zombies, 2 giant mosquito zombies, and blood rain. Since then I've found a few more exciting places (reanimating, thralling dust clouds) and a few less-lethal (no reanimating, dust that rots anything it touches)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:38:25 pm »

There's undead something or other wandering around below ground, but they've not come up yet.  Skeletal fish as well, but I'm set up far enough away that they haven't wandered over quite yet.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:42:17 pm »

There's nothing quite so surprising as seeing your Fort savaged by landfish.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »

Yeah... they're wandering about the lower fields now... I'm near the opposite corner, so with any luck I'll have time to complete the draw-bridge I'm building before they get here, and I can hope they don't have building destroyer xP

Both my miners appear to have slipped on the blood while doing some channeling, fallen 10+ tiles along the waterfall into the basin, and drowned xP  Should have brought an extra pick.  Fortunately have enough space for a farm while I wait for supplies and migrants.  Getting water... may or may not prove fatal, if I run out of booze. xP

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:09:05 pm »

I once embarked on a terrifying biome that for all intents and purposes looked like a normal savage region, no undead, no husks, no.creepy grass or rain or anything. I was extremely disappoint.

The next one lasted three minutes before skeletal giant eagles shredded every living dwarf, chicken, and dog present. It made up for the previous one, I feel.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 06:28:46 pm »

My current fortress is in a partially in an evilbiome, mostly just goblin blood and some tentacle grass crap. It's pretty manageable, just have to worry about the occasional ogre trio.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:28:52 am »

The dwarves appear to have taken to swimming in the lake I expanded with the intention of turning it into a farm... it has since been completely covered in blood, making it look like idle dwarves spend their  time swimming in the blood of elves....

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:36:43 am »

I prefer syndrome inflicting rains. The best ones have horrible but non-lethal side effects so they cause Fun but not !!FUN!!. I think my personal favorite was a never-ending downpour of sludge that caused blisters, nausea, and agonizing pain. When a dwarf stepped in it they were innoculated unless they washed so my filthy dwarves were all completely fine with their horrible pain blisters but new migrants would rush to the hospital, get diagnosed, then get sent back to work.

Urist McDoctor: What seems to be the problem?

Urist McMigrant: MY SKIN IS BURNING!

Urist McDoctor: And?

Urist McMigrant: IT'S IN MY EYES! I CAN'T SEE!

Urist McDoctor: [sighs] And?

Urist McMigrant: EVERY FEW MINUTES THE PAIN OVERWHELMS ME AND I COLLAPSE IN A PILE OF MY OWN VOMIT!

Urist McDoctor: Yeah that happens sometimes, if you're just about done we need these beds.