Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Want to go to mars?

Yes, and I can qualify for the mission.
- 11 (16.4%)
Yes, but not on the first few flights. Tell me when they have air and stuff.
- 8 (11.9%)
Yes, but I'm too young/psychopathic/stupid
- 14 (20.9%)
No, AND I'm too young/psychopathic/stupid
- 11 (16.4%)
No, because I need to stay on earth, though I do qualify
- 8 (11.9%)
No, I don't want to go at all
- 15 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Mars One has released the Mars Astronaut Qualifications. First manned mission de  (Read 3023 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Well, remember, possession is 9/10ths of the law, and in space, it's 10/10ths.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

because, honestly, how are they going to stop you?
without developing the equivalent of a asteroid mining program, that is.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Well, remember, possession is 9/10ths of the law, and in space, it's 10/10ths.
Interesting point, actually - one could argue that all of formal law only came into being because of property rights.
You kill a guy, you get killed may be a proto-form - but actual law in a bureaucratic sese must've come up with the neolithic revolution.

Once we get claims of ownership in space, some form of law will develop.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But I have an hard time thinking it will be Mars one to achieve success. ( although I'll be extremely pleased to be proven wrong.)
Hell, I doubt that too. But at one moment or another, the space will be majorly occupied by corporations rather than states.

Edit : And I'll follow the rover sent by Astrobotic on Moon in 2015, sounds interesting.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:45:33 pm by PanH »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Oooh, wait, this was this batshit insane Dutch company that wants to send people to Mars.

Translated quote from a Dutch scientific magazine:

In 2033 the Dutch company Mars One wants to send the first four people to mars as part of a reality show. They now have to establish a colony there. [Emphasis mine]

Q: For tens of years many people have said they are going to send people to Mars. Why are you going to succeed?

A: Because our plan is the simplest. We aren't going to take people back to Earth, wich makes the mission cheaper. And we use existing technology, so we don't have to invent anything new before the mission can start.

Q: Mars' terrain is extremely unforgiving. Who would want to live there?

A: We already have many reactions of people that want to go ther. I would like to go myself, if I were suited for it. The people that we select know the riscs and know that there is no way back. But that doesn't stop them.

Q: Why do you want to make a reality show about a mission that's incredibly risky and you can't come back from?

A: Coverage by the media makes the mission possible and is vital for the financing of the misssion. Furthermore it gives a unique look on the life on Mars. If something bad happens to the participants, we obviously won't broadcast it and we really don't want to see them die. It's going to be serious.

I call insane.
I gotta agree.

Yeah I'd love to be proven wrong, but the whole company sounds like it was taken off a Shadowrun rulebook.
Of course, the fact that these kinds of plans--seemingly stolen from science fiction set decades in the future--makes me optimistic about what other "impossible" things we might achieve soon...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: One Practical Image (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:15:27 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Code: [Select]
[img height=400 width=450]http://www.playerattack.com/imagery/TeamFortress2-Pyromania-PoopyJoe.jpg[/img]

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

oh, hey guys. ptw

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile

Also, as a serious note, has a long term gymnasium of apes been attempted in space? This would do marvels to further understanding effects on humans in space as well as being hilarious with antics.

I mean, it really DOES seem logical to send lots of monkeys before the first person, right?

Right? I mean if they had like this enclosed habitat with enough food to last until kindly astronauts refill the bin.

Then we catch all the monkeys, which would likely also be fun with the proper protection. Then we do tests on them to see if they are normal monkeys. If being born in space turns a chimp into a human, bonus points. I hope the monkeys do not suffer terribly in these tests. It would be unkind to torment such a being that has witnessed space with varying levels of intelligence amongst some species.

I'd like to imagine however that being able to fly, more or less, in a gravityless state is probably a dream of monkeys everywhere.

Also it would be interesting to see if apes prefer being in 0G over normal G through sign language; once they had grown accustomed to it. That would be some serious Monkeys in Space. I would tip my hat to whatever taxpayer money going to something like that.

EDIT: Maybe an entertainment entity like Adult Swim would be interested in something like Enormous Monkey Gymnasium in space? I mean, I would watch clips from that. That could defray costs.

The really sad thing is it might just make a bunch of really, really, sad and confused monkeys if it doesn't show results. But imagine if it did! Surely there is some kind of monkey that would appreciate space.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:23:53 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Also, as a serious note, has a long term gymnasium of apes been attempted in space? This would do marvels to further understanding effects on humans in space as well as being hilarious with antics.

I mean, it really DOES seem logical to send lots of monkeys before the first person, right?

Right? I mean if they had like this enclosed habitat with enough food to last until kindly astronauts refill the bin.

Then we catch all the monkeys, which would likely also be fun with the proper protection. Then we do tests on them to see if they are normal monkeys. If being born in space turns a chimp into a human, bonus points. I hope the monkeys do not suffer terribly in these tests. It would be unkind to torment such a being that has witnessed space with varying levels of intelligence amongst some species.

I'd like to imagine however that being able to fly, more or less, in a gravityless state is probably a dream of monkeys everywhere.

Also it would be interesting to see if apes prefer being in 0G over normal G through sign language; once they had grown accustomed to it. That would be some serious Monkeys in Space. I would tip my hat to whatever taxpayer money going to something like that.

EDIT: Maybe an entertainment entity like Adult Swim would be interested in something like Enormous Monkey Gymnasium in space? I mean, I would watch clips from that. That could defray costs.

The really sad thing is it might just make a bunch of really, really, sad and confused monkeys if it doesn't show results. But imagine if it did! Surely there is some kind of monkey that would appreciate space.
And then space PETA.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]