Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Want to go to mars?

Yes, and I can qualify for the mission.
- 11 (16.4%)
Yes, but not on the first few flights. Tell me when they have air and stuff.
- 8 (11.9%)
Yes, but I'm too young/psychopathic/stupid
- 14 (20.9%)
No, AND I'm too young/psychopathic/stupid
- 11 (16.4%)
No, because I need to stay on earth, though I do qualify
- 8 (11.9%)
No, I don't want to go at all
- 15 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mars One has released the Mars Astronaut Qualifications. First manned mission de  (Read 3027 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could we get the end of the title ? "First manned mission de" ?

About radiation, they aparently have suits for Mars atmosphere, so I guess they have the same/similar for the "flight".

I also wonder how they'll determine the place to land, to get access to the ice they need + a suitable place to live (fakedit : sending rovers to build everything first, good idea). In fact, they're relying on a reliable way to launch rockets from Earth to Mars, for everything.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Note that Curiosity has told us that the radiation levels of Gale Crater are human-safe without shielding. Doesn't speak for the rest of the planet, but that's important data.

Anyway, I don't think I could go, though I would certainly like to have the option. If my plans on Earth all go to shit then having a backup in fucking off to colonize Mars isn't a bad idea. In any case, I'm too asocial and paranoid for a mission like this. I have bouts of paranoia against the people whom I trust, so you can imagine how trusting I am of those who I do not. I am not significantly out of shape anymore, but I still do not qualify as peak physical fitness either, though that could (and hopefully will) change in a decade.

I certainly think I qualify on the tenacity and endurance parts, especially the latter. I can endure the shit out of bad conditions, as evidenced by acts such as starving myself for weeks rather than ask my parents for more food money and not harming my roommate when his actions have caused pretty much everyone else to say that they would have beaten the shit out of him by now. Though the former brings up another issue, in that I am very unlikely to ask for help under any circumstances, even when it is the best option. While that makes me resourceful, it also sometimes causes me to cause my own problems.

I'm a procrastinator, but that's mostly academic. In a situation like being on Mars, I think I'd drop that habit.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Could we get the end of the title ? "First manned mission de" ?

About radiation, they aparently have suits for Mars atmosphere, so I guess they have the same/similar for the "flight".

I also wonder how they'll determine the place to land, to get access to the ice they need + a suitable place to live (fakedit : sending rovers to build everything first, good idea). In fact, they're relying on a reliable way to launch rockets from Earth to Mars, for everything.
Doubt it. The only currently avaible way to stop radiation is mass. Same counts for the inflatable vs normal habitats.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

It's supposed to be "delightfully exciting".

Or maybe "designated to be in 2022", whichever you prefer.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Note that Curiosity has told us that the radiation levels of Gale Crater are human-safe without shielding. Doesn't speak for the rest of the planet, but that's important data.
That's background radiation only though. A hit from a solar flare would be catastrophic for both humans and machinery down there.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

You gotta think like dwarves- you just go underground.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

You gotta think like dwarves- you just go underground.
Yup. However, Mars One doesn't care about flares or radiation, or you know anything that might be dangerous. Really, inflatible buildings are a great idea and cheap, but have the radiation resistance of tissue paper (rather thick tissue paper admittetly, but still)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Oooh, wait, this was this batshit insane Dutch company that wants to send people to Mars.

Translated quote from a Dutch scientific magazine:

In 2033 the Dutch company Mars One wants to send the first four people to mars as part of a reality show. They now have to establish a colony there. [Emphasis mine]

Q: For tens of years many people have said they are going to send people to Mars. Why are you going to succeed?

A: Because our plan is the simplest. We aren't going to take people back to Earth, wich makes the mission cheaper. And we use existing technology, so we don't have to invent anything new before the mission can start.

Q: Mars' terrain is extremely unforgiving. Who would want to live there?

A: We already have many reactions of people that want to go ther. I would like to go myself, if I were suited for it. The people that we select know the riscs and know that there is no way back. But that doesn't stop them.

Q: Why do you want to make a reality show about a mission that's incredibly risky and you can't come back from?

A: Coverage by the media makes the mission possible and is vital for the financing of the misssion. Furthermore it gives a unique look on the life on Mars. If something bad happens to the participants, we obviously won't broadcast it and we really don't want to see them die. It's going to be serious.

I call insane.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I call insane.

Meh, it's just the beginning of the corporations ruling over the space. In the end, the corporation Coca-Sony-Intel-Apple-Nestle-Exxon will rule over Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn, while Pepsi-AMD-Google-Vivendi-WalMart-Shell will rule over Mars, Uranus, Neptune, and Luna. Of course, Pluto and most important moons will still be the scene of important fights.
Only a this point, the colonization of space will begin.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I call insane.

Meh, it's just the beginning of the corporations ruling over the space. In the end, the corporation Coca-Sony-Intel-Apple-Nestle-Exxon will rule over Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn, while Pepsi-AMD-Google-Vivendi-WalMart-Shell will rule over Mars, Uranus, Neptune, and Luna. Of course, Pluto and most important moons will still be the scene of important fights.
Only a this point, the colonization of space will begin.

Time to make the galaxy burn guys. We had a good run.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PanH, I agree that private enterprise is going to take the lead, and the turn is beginning. ( example,this. those people seem willing to spend as much as a small nation's GDP on it)
But I have an hard time thinking it will be Mars one to achieve success. ( although I'll be extremely pleased to be proven wrong.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah I'd love to be proven wrong, but the whole company sounds like it was taken off a Shadowrun rulebook. Those guys at Planetary Ressources, or the guys that do the Falcon Heavy though? They're serious. And hopefully, they'll manage to make it cheap enough to be commercially valid.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Yup, SpaceX is quite alright. Same for Planetary resources, though their space lawyers still have to sort out if asteroid mining is actually legal. (So far, Space law has no estabilished rulings on who actually owns the mineral rights to asteroids and such)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

There are also some guys that want to mine the Moon, but they don't seem as serious as the guys at Plantery Ressources. I cannot wait for one of those company to actually make money though, as of now, they're mostly toys for nerdy billionaires.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Yup, SpaceX is quite alright. Same for Planetary resources, though their space lawyers still have to sort out if asteroid mining is actually legal. (So far, Space law has no estabilished rulings on who actually owns the mineral rights to asteroids and such)

That is going to create a distinctly interesting generation becoming lawyers. Or pirates. Or cops.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4