Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hacking  (Read 3468 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Hacking
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 12:24:33 pm »

My high school wasn't so negligent.  Of course, even if they had been I was much too scared of getting in trouble to risk doing such a thing myself.

My younger brother once watched a teacher type her password however, and later connected to her computer with Remote Desktop to screw around with her things.  I don't recall how that went, but I don't think she ever found out what happened.

Seriously though, that's Hacker / Cracker 101: If you can get a password the easy way, don't do it the hard way.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 05:48:11 pm »

This never really got off the ground. Yet as the days go by i want, and increasingly need to know bout groups like anonymous and their more professional counterparts. Hacking is more like a gun then an odd profession/hobby today, useful to know and damn near mandatory in dangerous situations.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »

This never really got off the ground. Yet as the days go by i want, and increasingly need to know bout groups like anonymous and their more professional counterparts. Hacking is more like a gun then an odd profession/hobby today, useful to know and damn near mandatory in dangerous situations.
Anonymous at best is bunch of script kiddies dump crapton of network packets to bring servers offline. There are few in the pile that actually dig into vulnerabilities and do some data mining/trashing. You should be more interested in the counterhacking methods. How do you stop a huge DDOS? At most parts if they piss off the wrong IT guys they can send back ARP poison packets (when you send in packets, you will receive some back) which will fuck up all your network equipment, might even flag your system to the FBI.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 06:04:33 pm »

I figured out how to get onto the command prompt at my school (despite all their efforts to block such access to the pupils). On your typical secondary school network, from there you can do pretty much anything...

A friend of mine managed to bring down the schools network with a simple php script. An endless loop of mailto managed to DDOS the school and bring the network down for a few days xD

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2012, 06:05:38 pm »

I see declarations about the real hackers fleeing underground or being recruited by the government. How accurate do you think that is?
Reading a thinner book

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »

I see declarations about the real hackers fleeing underground or being recruited by the government. How accurate do you think that is?

Not sure about the government, but it's not unknown for notorious hackers to start their own security consulting companies and make quite a bit of money.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »

Ted Talks has some interesting and informative stuff on hacking, hackers themselves and such. Totally worth looking into, even if you're not delving into the subject professionally. Just do a search when you have a couple of hours to kill.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 06:25:04 pm »

Backtrack Linux is all you need.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 07:27:34 pm »

Ted Talks has some interesting and informative stuff on hacking, hackers themselves and such. Totally worth looking into, even if you're not delving into the subject professionally. Just do a search when you have a couple of hours to kill.
There's a really interesting one on that virus that was targeting the nuclear equipment in some country or other.

Wow, that was vague.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 08:03:46 pm »

There's a really interesting one on that virus that was targeting the nuclear equipment in some country or other.

Wow, that was vague.

I think a remember something about a virus that was targetting nuclear equipment (Iran ?) to actually damage physically the equipment (overclocking, etc).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 08:06:43 pm »

Wow, that was vague.

I think a remember something about a virus that was targetting nuclear equipment (Iran ?) to actually damage physically the equipment (overclocking, etc).
Ahh yes, US government created if I recall. Yes Iran. Managed to get out by flashdrive and terrorize the internet. Now Iran blames the US for anything and everything that goes wrong. US Virus Program is speeding along IIRC.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 08:25:22 pm »

Oh boy. Current defense mechanisms, experiences, attempts, all welcome. In particular, i'd like to know more about the culture and future of hacking.
Well first you have to understand your work conditions.

[1] Are you being chased by velociraptors.
[2] Is it a unix system?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 09:58:46 pm »

Wow, that was vague.

That's the one. It was a breakdown of it, by some large security firm. Pretty cool.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 10:09:59 pm »

These seems a bit... hyperbolic. And again, most hacking is not security intrustion, which seems to be what you're focusing on. And Anonymous almost never even does that - they simply use tools like the iron cannon, which aren't even hacking, or social engineering.

I'll second the TED talks and others like ccc (chaos communication congress), and focus on the security talks if that is what you're interested in specifically. Although if you're ever going to do it yourself, hacking your own machine (get a linux box, a basic one and not one of the fancy distros, they are far easier and far more fun to hack, in the good way) is still the place to start. You can either be a script kiddy relying on tools built by others, or a hacker... but hacking (security intrusion included) requires that, most of all, you understand how these machines and systems actually work. And you'll need a combination of multiple knowledge sources and a ton of experimentation to really figure that out.

This one is pretty interesting, because it illustrates how the most impressive hacks involve thinking about things in novel ways... (in addition to being a security intrustion :P):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=njVv7J2azY8
One of the most mind-blowing presentations at this year's Chaos Communications Congress (28C3) was Ang Cui's Print Me If You Dare, in which he explained how he reverse-engineered the firmware-update process for HPs hundreds of millions of printers. Cui discovered that he could load arbitrary software into any printer by embedding it in a malicious document or by connecting to the printer online. As part of his presentation, he performed two demonstrations: in the first, he sent a document to a printer that contained a malicious version of the OS that caused it to copy the documents it printed and post them to an IP address on the Internet; in the second, he took over a remote printer with a malicious document, caused that printer to scan the LAN for vulnerable PCs, compromise a PC, and turn it into a proxy that gave him access through the firewall (I got shivers).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:23:24 am by GlyphGryph »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 09:16:26 am »

Well, I'm paranoid  :P. You cant tell me that the importance of hacking wont only go up.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 2 [3]