Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hacking  (Read 3458 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Hacking
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:14 pm »

Exactly why my redneck technomancer is going for them.  :D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:41 pm »

Now might be an interesting time to mention that my boss let me perform a SQL-Injection hack, as an instruction to new hires.  It was on a company-owned test system of course, but that was kinda cool.

That's literally everything that I know about the world of computer hacking.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 12:34:32 am »

I should stay out of this thread. I couldn't even pass the idiot test on Hack This Site two or three years ago due to my Autistic brain being unable to think in abstract ways.

All I had to do was click a button. How was I supposed to know that I was supposed to edit the HTML code and alter an if statement just to get the button to be clickable? However I do often fantasize about working for the United States government and engaging in cyber warfare with other countries even though I will never have the skills and I'm incredibly paranoid about said government watching my every move.

At least I remembered that site. I'm going to fuck off from this thread now.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 12:50:39 am »

Alright, hacking. I've done a bit, mostly breaking into people's wifi and screwing with them, but I once tried to spread a virus to get an army of bots. That didn't go well, after I was bested by the FREAKING port forwarding settings on my router. Whoever designed that page is a sadistic bastard. Anyway, I went around bruteforcing random crap and generally being an asshole. I don't do that anymore, and honestly I was never any good at it anyway.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 05:20:49 am »

And so continues Novel's epic quest to start at least half the threads on the board.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 05:22:05 am »

With spice.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 05:35:19 am »

I brought down my high-school's entire computer network with an overly-zealous chat program I'd written (in VBscript no less). Apparently reading a network file *constantly* is not good.

That doesn't count as hacking/cracking though.

Working out the staff password to the personal reports database may count though. Was fun writing things on other peoples reports :)
(actually figured out after that that the student login form was just the database being put in search mode, and pressing the key combo to exit search, and the one to bring up the full forms list, meant pretty much unrestricted access to the DB)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:37:53 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 08:39:09 am »

Now might be an interesting time to mention that my boss let me perform a SQL-Injection hack, as an instruction to new hires.  It was on a company-owned test system of course, but that was kinda cool.

That's literally everything that I know about the world of computer hacking.

That's pretty cool.

Our web dev team of 4 (including myself) are all surprisingly security aware while also being pretty careless of the fact.  We aren't susceptible to most SQL-injection attacks since we use prepared statements in all of our code, but we have some pretty awful security practices in other respects.  We frequently send passwords in plaintext in our requests, over unsecured channels.  I'm a bit worried that nothing bad has come of it yet.  I work to push us toward safer practices when I can, but there's a lot of inertia to work against.

As far as actual hacking goes, I haven't done much of it myself despite having a good theoretical understanding of how to do several types.  I've reverse enginereed a few programs and done some things with that (including DF where I was able to do some freaky and entertaining things with marriages, lovers and pregnancies), but not much actual hacking.  It's a lot more difficult to "hack" modern software in the traditional way, not so much because security practices have improved with the everyday programmer moreso that many programs are written in less vulnerable languages than C and C++ and operating systems taking a proactive approach to security by doing things like randomizing the address space.

This is not true of web security however, which tends to remain terrible.  I'm sure that a few minutes around a wi-fi hotspot and a packet sniffer could get you plenty of people's account credentials, and you don't ever even have to exploit phishing, XSS attacks or session fixation to get it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 09:34:15 am »

Such words should never be put together.

Anyway, sicne everyone seems so aware, does anyone want to teach me some details? I'm learning Coding in general due to school, but this is of course not exactly being taught  :P
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 09:43:56 am »

Anyway, sicne everyone seems so aware, does anyone want to teach me some details? I'm learning Coding in general due to school, but this is of course not exactly being taught  :P
Seconded.  ptw
Outside of my own experiementing and poking around the internet, what the Navy thought I should know is all I gots.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:53:11 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 09:47:33 am »

I hacked into my mom's modem. 'twas both fun and profitable.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59:25 am »

The HackThisSite link is a pretty good place to get started, truth be told. Then find a game without any mod support, and make some mods for it (this is the essence of computer hacking in a lot of ways - finding out how to tear apart some existing software and it put it back together in a better way. Get an Arduino, and learn how to program directly into a chip-set and get a decent low level understanding of how systems work - and these are actually useful in breaking through security as well. See: The recent hotal break ins where a configured Arduino was used to get by the electronic locks and break a lot of stuff. They are far more powerful than they seem at first glance, and excellent learning tools. For web security hacking, set up your own, local webserver and build a basic website with login credentials. Then try to break it. When you do, fix it, and repeat.

Most computer intrusions experts aren't really hackers, tough. It's been a long time since black-hat hacking has been nearly as useful as social engineering for turning systems to your own end. The analogy early about the car still stands - knowing where people usually hide their spare keys, or, hell, convincing them to give you the key, is almost always going to be easier than breaking into it, tearing open the control panel, and trying to hotwire the thing, all in the middle of a busy parking lot patrolled by security.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 10:39:41 am »

Most computer intrusions experts aren't really hackers, tough. It's been a long time since black-hat hacking has been nearly as useful as social engineering for turning systems to your own end. The analogy early about the car still stands - knowing where people usually hide their spare keys, or, hell, convincing them to give you the key, is almost always going to be easier than breaking into it, tearing open the control panel, and trying to hotwire the thing, all in the middle of a busy parking lot patrolled by security.

I'd argue that it's been that way for data theft throughout history, even in say, the Bronze age or the Renaissance. The best way to acquire information from a secure system, be it a line of horse messenger posts secured with passwords and crippled Mongol veterans or one of the high tech communication networks we've built in the last few decades, is to trick the people running it into thinking you are one of them. Not only will you get your info, but the odds are that the system will actively help you do it. 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 11:51:30 am »

I brought down my high-school's entire computer network with an overly-zealous chat program I'd written (in VBscript no less). Apparently reading a network file *constantly* is not good.

That doesn't count as hacking/cracking though.

Working out the staff password to the personal reports database may count though. Was fun writing things on other peoples reports :)
(actually figured out after that that the student login form was just the database being put in search mode, and pressing the key combo to exit search, and the one to bring up the full forms list, meant pretty much unrestricted access to the DB)
high school is always a best start for hackers :P
i caught other kids running keyloggers and shit but i just remote access into the domain controller (when you are still running windows server 2003 and didn't locked the default admin account you got some problems in IT) and made me a admin
only thing i trashed for senior prank was replace all of the math teachers with lolcats pics on the school website :P

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:58 pm »

lol
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3