Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Start of the economy  (Read 1122 times)

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Start of the economy
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>

I'm fairly sure the economy is no longer linked to coin production at all, but rather it's linked to the tax collector (or the baron) who shows up when you get 100 dwarves.

Edit: or maybe 80 dwarves. and maybe you need a certain amount of wealth too. but you don't need coins.

[ January 07, 2008: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]</STRONG>

I have 125 dwarves, an no tax collecter, and i've gotten tax collecters with less than 100 dwarves. I'm pretty sure the tax collecter and baron come when you export a certain amount of wealth.

They must see that you are making a ton of cash by the amount of high quality goods coming in from your settlement and decide to make your place a county, as when they arrive you get the "such and such has been made a county of so and so"

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

Note also that dwarves don't really need coins - they can get payed and buy things with credit. I don't know if they get a sad thought for not having enough coins to claim (they didn't in the 2d version), but even if they do everything still works.

also not that eventually that stack of 500 coins will turn into 500 stacks of 1 coin, and there is no way to recombine them. It might not sound bad, but if you make 20,000 coins and they split into 20,000 piles that's a lot of coins laying around everywhere cluttering things up.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

Egad, that probably makes lag.

*makes note to never ever make coins*

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

So if you only ever make 500 coins you'll be fine aside from the tax collector requesting you make more? Also would it be better to make 500 coins for something that is worth a lot of 500 coins from something like copper?
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

If you make no coins at all you will still be fine. Your dwarves will be payed credit, use that credit to purchase goods and services (like rent) and all will be well. Except, as mentioned above, for the possibility of bad thoughts from not having coins.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Gelmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

You don't have to avoid making coins altogether, just don't let your dwarves get the coins. A strategy I saw used in the old version (where making coins was necessary to start the economy) was to make a coin stockpile in someplace isolated, make enough coins to start the economy, then seal off the stockpile before the economy starts so no dwarves can reach it. Not only does it keep the dwarves from spreading coins all over the fortress, but it's fun to build a vault.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 01:15:00 am »

I actually do give my dwarves coins. Around... 12000 copper, 4000 silver, 4000 gold. This way, dwarves don't get unhappy thoughts from lack of coins.

but I run a good system so it handles well. I won't recommend it to anyone with a weak processor though.

Oh, and ignore what the bookkeeper recommends.

edit: Oh, and I don't have any problems with cluttered coins either. The dwarves just stuff them in their rooms or leave them in the coin stockpile (albeit in mini piles).

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 01:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>its not a game, its a loyalty test.  only a dirty red would turn the economy off.  by feeding the demands of nobles, we are being trained to serve the every whim of our bourgeois betters.</STRONG>
*blinks*

Err...

*eyes config file with already disabled economy*

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 03:40:00 am »

My fort had 52 dwarves and 4 million wealth, no sieges or upper nobles. I turn the pop cap to 80. The year AFTER I have 80 normal dwarves, the baron, tax collector, baron consort, and hammerer arrive putting my population up to 84. (then down to 81 after the baron consort, hammerer, and tax collector have an "accident" in the main magma feed channel.

The economy started the second the baron stepped onto the map. I hate him, but he's necessary for the progress of the fort, so I only killed his family.

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: veryinky ]

Pages: 1 [2]