Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can't Trap Muskox  (Read 1160 times)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Trap Muskox
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

Actually, something rather peculiar just happened in my fortress.

I had a small collection of animals - 3 dogs, 2 puppies, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 mule (migrant's pet), 1 donkey, 1 donkey foal (another pet of the same migrant) and 1 cow that I bought from the dwarven caravan. The horse has just given birth to 3 foals, even though it has nothing to mate with (unless it was impregnated by the dog or mule or (eww) a dwarf, as they're the only two male pets I had)

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

The advice in this thread suggests animals still won't breed in cages, even if both genders are present in the same cage?

pushy:  Regarding the "immaculate conception," your animals can mate with wandering herds and wagon pullers and the like.

[ January 15, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

ShunterAlhena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

I have muskoxen trapped in a cage and one of them did give birth to a calf but since then nothing.

However, free animals are impregnated by spores than come with the wind. There is a recent forum thread recounting a rhesus macaque that has all broken limbs, brain damage and is down the bottom of a pit but gives birth to little rhesus macaques every year. This must have happened with your horse, too.

fox has become enraged!

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pushy:
<STRONG>Actually, something rather peculiar just happened in my fortress.

I had a small collection of animals - 3 dogs, 2 puppies, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 mule (migrant's pet), 1 donkey, 1 donkey foal (another pet of the same migrant) and 1 cow that I bought from the dwarven caravan. The horse has just given birth to 3 foals, even though it has nothing to mate with (unless it was impregnated by the dog or mule or (eww) a dwarf, as they're the only two male pets I had)</STRONG>

female pack/wagon animals(like horses) belonging to you can immediately give birth as soon as a male animal from a caravan steps on the map. in the case of horses, some maps have wild horses which can also be bred with

eltorre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>The advice in this thread suggests animals still won't breed in cages, even if both genders are present in the same cage?</STRONG>

mmmhh... they will breed as usual in a cage... I have all my animals in cages (but cats) and they breed.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

Are you sure they breed in the cage?  I know that a pregnant animal placed in a cage will still give birth, but in past versions they never seemed to breed after birthing the current litter.
Pages: 1 [2]