Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do the Gods Exist Or Are They an In-game Lie?  (Read 4105 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Do the Gods Exist Or Are They an In-game Lie?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »

Neither. That's just the point where they stop giving any fucks about what they can and can't do.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 04:44:55 pm »

I had a uniquely glitched world where a few gods physically manifested (sort of) and I was able to kill them. It was pretty neat to go look in legends mode and find out that the minotaur with dwarf pus for blood was actually a dwarven god.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 07:49:23 am »

That's sounds like a god I'd definitely worship :D. Glitchy or not, perhaps that "proves" that the DF gods aren't really "gods", instead they are powerful beings with magical abilities. Perhaps a step up from titans, FB:s and such.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »

You sure that was a glitch and not a UNIQUE_DEMON?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 04:31:37 am »

Unique demon, most likely. I have never heard of any glitch causing the actual deities to manifest. Mortals will, actually, worship mega/semi-megabeasts and titans as gods, maybe some others as well, but they're also not the real deal.

That being said, the gods in DF are real, but intangible and refuse to interact with the world besides through curses. Mostly because Toady hasn't gotten there yet, obviously! :P

And yes, in older versions you could talk to a god sometimes. I also found that I can talk to a god if I use Dfusion's bodyswap and try to talk to myself; there is a deity to talk to. The deity crashes the game if you try to chat with it. Shy bastards, these gods.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 06:26:00 am »

I should state that a few of the Megabeasts (especially Titans) reflect more closely Incarnate gods

Or rather gods that have physical forms rather then spiritual ones. In fact the Titans resemble gods (Genus Loci) very specifically.

Saraias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:34 am »

Although they don't yet "do" anything besides offer curses and slabs in world-gen, I take a great interest in the deities of a given civilization - at least the dwarf ones. Religious inclinations help me to imagine a roleplay context for their society. I (think that I) look forward to Toady's implementation of religious observances and sects.

My favorite dwarf deity so far was "Nethgon Burydungs the Lustful Skull of Eels," goddess of death and the underworld. She manifested as a female dwarf, and was much venerated in one of my previous forts. Its first artifact was a bituminous coal statue of her, most residents were ardent worshippers of her, and she appeared everywhere in engravings. These dwarfs had a habit of sacrificing a certain percentage of their children by throwing the babies under the water wheel, about once a season. That fort was the first one where I got to the point when the monarch eventually arrived. He proved to be a vampire king who had slain about 8,000 humans and about 7,000 dwarfs in the same city; I then imagined that these residents of the fort Lightroom were so devoted to Nethgon because they prayed that he would stay away from their families.

That and my other stories aside, yes: I treat the deities of each world as real for that world (demon and megabeast imposters are real too, merely not divine). I see a lot of folks reference the god Arm-OK, but for me at least that entity exists only as a titular conceit for the game itself.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 08:58:14 am »

HERECY! I like to think that Armok is the "creator god" who shapes new worlds, watches them burn and fill with silk socks, then creates another and another and another... Armok has no interest in contacting mortal beings personally, they're just pawns who screw around for his/her/it's amusement.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 04:31:30 pm »

Unique demon, most likely. I have never heard of any glitch causing the actual deities to manifest. Mortals will, actually, worship mega/semi-megabeasts and titans as gods, maybe some others as well, but they're also not the real deal.

Nope, definitely a real god. As I said, it was a very unique and lucky glitch that I've never been able to reproduce. Here, I have proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were also a few other historic figures that got resurrected into new bodies, like a long-dead kobold becoming a minotaur with kobold egg yolk for blood.

I still have the save somewhere, though sadly I think I killed most of the special glitched creatures before I realized what was going on.
                        - Random human lord

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 07:38:21 pm »

-snip-
...like a long-dead kobold becoming a minotaur with kobold egg yolk for blood.

Most metal food source for a fort EVER (referring to the egg yolk blood).

... Aside from wrestling giant animals to death. Or eating your opponents' flesh right there on the battlefield (kudos to the Elves).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 11:05:57 pm »

HERECY! I like to think that Armok is the "creator god" who shapes new worlds, watches them burn and fill with silk socks, then creates another and another and another... Armok has no interest in contacting mortal beings personally, they're just pawns who screw around for his/her/it's amusement.
Armok doesn't exist, in-game. He's named after a variable in an older game Toady worked on (arm_ok).

Nope, definitely a real god. As I said, it was a very unique and lucky glitch that I've never been able to reproduce. Here, I have proof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were also a few other historic figures that got resurrected into new bodies, like a long-dead kobold becoming a minotaur with kobold egg yolk for blood.

I still have the save somewhere, though sadly I think I killed most of the special glitched creatures before I realized what was going on.
Sounds like a demon who fooled the dwarves into thinking it was a god. I haven't heard of it happening to dwarves in vanilla, are you playing with mods?
It still seems more probable than the game glitching to let a completely nonexistent entity living only in Legends and engravings kill something and be killed by another without crashing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 12:51:00 am »

I guarantee you that it wasn't a demon. This save was 100% vanilla and using the same Worldgen parameters, raws and game file will create geographically and historically the same world with standard monsters instead of the glitched minotaurs.
I don't even know of a way for mods to get a legends entry to look that way for a physical being.

Here's the save, you can check it for yourself. It's for 31.25.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7180

The aforementioned kobold egg yolk bleeding minotaur is even still alive and living in a shrine Northwest of the human settlements, right next to a good area. You can take an adventurer there and then when you kill it or get killed (it's surprisingly tough for a thousand year old kobold that starved to death) you can look it up in legends mode and confirm that it really is a reincarnated kobold.
                        - Random human lord

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 10:20:37 am »

Another heretic! Yeah, there's no interaction in-game, but the God of Blood is in the damn title of the game. I know, I know, this is just my imagination, but there's plenty of historical "gods" in my current world that haven't actually done anything, so a text piece should be enough to prove an entity's existence :).
Pages: 1 2 [3]