Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Random urge: badass pacifist  (Read 7015 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random urge: badass pacifist
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 07:40:18 pm »

Mark of the Ninja allows for a stealth focused "path". You have to unlock it by completing a few stealth challenges during the game, but once the path is unlocked you get bonuses based around stealth and lose your ability to assassinate with a sword.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 07:43:10 pm »

I've found myself mentioning Way of the Samurai 3 a whole lot around lately. I'm 99% sure there are ways to complete the story without even drawing your sword. And if you have to, you can use the blunt end to smack people down anyways.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 10:27:48 pm »

Planescape: Torment - snip
I would personally regard that first part as a spoiler. Unless you pay decent attention to all the dialogue you won't know that for quite some time. The less you know going into Planescape: Torment the richer the experience, in my opinion.
If you aren't paying attention to the dialogue, you probably shouldn't be playing PS:T.  I've found it's like Xenogears and Morrowind in that you can rattle off spoilers all day but unless you draw them up a diagram explaining how it all fits together and force them to memorize it it's not going to stick.  It's kind of beautiful in that way.  Nonetheless, I've edited my post.

Here are some equally meaningless spoilers to balance things out: Chu-Chu is crucified for your sins and Vivec's spear is more than just a weapon.

Just remember to take a pistol with chain shot

Is there any other way to play?
The bosses are kind of like DE:HR.  You have to kill them, and they're always bullshit.  They throw you some bones like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
but they're still immensely tedious for anyone who didn't pick certain skills.  Alpha Protocol has many things to offer, but good gameplay is not one of them.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:18 pm »

You should also mention that Alpha Protocol, when played as a pacifist, means you're playing as a stealth character. Many major encounters can be avoided through use of dialogue, but standard mooks have to be killed, tranq'd, or evaded.

On the other hand, a pacifist run can pretty substantially change the story, so I'd still say AP is a good example of a potential pacifist game.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:18 pm »

I'm gonna ripoff agree with those other dudes and say MGS.
Not many pacifists are more badass than Big Boss/Snake, plus in Peace Walker you kidnap dudes and integrate them into your team. So there's that.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 11:39:22 pm »

More specifically, you kidnap everyone you meet with giant balloons and convince them to join your Snake Club for Men on your strung together oil rigs that are most definitely not the Big Shell.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 11:40:38 pm »

It's so ridiculous, it's brilliant.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 11:49:32 pm »

This isn't even getting into the fact that most of them join you as soon as you kidnap them, even though most of these people are either communist revolutionaries or CIA operators trying to stop said revolutionaries, and the serious canon reason they all fall in line and love you is because everyone is gay for Big Boss.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 11:59:17 pm »

No, you see. Miller's a really good negotiator.
Though Big Boss's sexiness does play a big part.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 04:10:37 am »

Planescape: Torment. You have to fight a grand total of one enemy in the entire game, that being a zombie at the very start.
I think that if you have high enough dexterity (and perhaps intelligence?), you can just steal the key without killing it. (Not 100 % sure though.)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 04:13:51 am »

Some great suggestions in here, and a few games I've never even looked at.  Gonna check a few of them out in a bit :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 06:13:03 am »

(On Alpha Protocol)
Just remember to take a pistol with chain shot

Is there any other way to play?

Yeah, not using weapons at all, just your hands and feet. (It is incredibly effective - the question is, can you do it against every enemy or group of enemies? The answer is: probably not)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 2 [3]