Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Uthgururdim Telnashon Okil ☼Ishar builds crazy contraptions☼ MDF2  (Read 3995 times)

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Darkhawks Journal, Autumn 303, Scorching shiv, Demonictower

The magma forge takes its time. The builders have to run long ways to get the materials required, but when its done, i will dish out the orders for at least two sets of vulcanic armour and some weapons. If one of the overseers wants to use it, he will be able to.

Work on the battlement defense system has begun. When its finished, our turrets will have the ability to freely shoot at enemies approaching the fort. At least, thats the plan.

Our miners informed me that they have found a relict while digging out another room. I instantly ordered it to be identified. If we can put it to good use.... Well, then it will be good, i guess.

3 golem casts, a lot of golden music-thingys. A good amount if you ask me.

The royal lizards have hatched a youth! Praise Armok, as he ensures the continuity of the royal bloodline! Meanwhile, we have more dogs... I just throw them into the cage, the next overseer can decide what he wants to do with them.

Another snatcher, not much left of him, as he decided to sneak past our golem.

Migrants... well, not particulary useful, but i guess im taking them....

A new defense system is now in place. Every siege coming our way will have to get through a tunnel. There are holes in the walls with fortifications. Behind the fortifications i have stationed the "spray" turrets. Every invader going this way will go up in flames. There is also a perfect position for marksdwarfes and bullet/slade turrets to pepper an enemy with hard death while he charges along.

Snatchers injured the liaison.... Somehow i think i will be unable to order golems and turrets for next year.

Due to alot of goblin snatchers running near the new entrance, the anvils are now there to ensure that the project is completed without further distractions.

Our brewer ran off to the craftsdwarf workshop, looks like our museum gets another art object.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Darkhawks Journal, Winter 303, Scorching shiv, Demonictower

Ishar brought a barrel with him to the station duty.... I dont know what he wants with it, but okay, whatever you think is okay. He also likes his long sword... Well, he can keep it, i have my zweihander.

Work on the new defense continues. Once the turrets are in place, the anvils will back off into the fort.

I have a plan to lure the vampire out. One big sleeping room, and the next time he feasts on a dwarf, we will have him. The new timberyard will prove invaluable in this operation.

Trading with the dwarfes could have been better. they didnt bring wagons because of a slight flaw in my blueprints. Damn trees, im telling you. We got a slade turret, a golem, some metal bars and booze. But they didnt bring a lot of stuff, as i said, no wagons.

Our possesed brewer made an graphite amulet. Museum, display box, fine.

A tapir interrupted the woodgathering outside.... The anvils are taking care of it. Ishar quickly striked it with his sword, cutting it in half. Easy job for him.

I was wrong, im able to order golems and turrets for next year. Thats exactly what i did. Oh, we are also a barony now.... Well, considering that i dont want to dig out more rooms for some pansy nobles, i will tell the liaison that we will consider it next year. Have fun with this one.

One of our umber hulks gave birth.... to a umber hulk lava? Blew, disgusting.... what are does things good for anyways?

Goddamn, a potter has been killed by the vampire, and no one saw it!

The drow are here. I ordered turrets last time... and pangolins, so i hope (for them!) they brought what i wanted. They did... In fact, they only brought animals and turrets. I bought everything and assigned the turrets to the defense positions.

This was also the last order of my reignship. Its spring, and tradition demands that i step aside and leave the fort in the hand of another overseer. The year was peaceful, but my improvement on security and equipment should prove valuable to the future of this great fort.

For the great Pangolin!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:57:52 am by Firehawk45 »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

<< Ghost Smakemupagus' Spirit Journal >>

1st Granite.

Time to stop haunting the booze storage room for a few moments and actually pay attention to what's going on in the fortress!

A couple things strike me immediately, first, that we have a nice entry corridor lined with powerful turrets.  We probably want some fire-proof paving stones in the vicinity of the hellfire turrets.  I think I'm going to install a ballista firing down the long axis, and create a second-story firing gallery for the bullet turrets.  If I am going to maintain enough focus to manifest in the material realm all year, I need a big project.  Hmm, there looks like enough perfect space for a pressurization chamber and some wind powered pumps on the level above our volcano's edge.  If only I could think of some use for pressurized magma...

Second thing I notice, is that it seems like half the fort is busy carrying around cages of Ironclad Sauropods and Giant Desert Scorpions.  Awesome. 

... Just ran into the ghost of Darkhawk's wife, Kadol, on her way to the spirit realm.  She's a little bit peeved that Darkhawk just refered to her as "some potter" when she was killed by a vampire.  I promised her that her little baby Zuglar won't starve, since he will be able to feed and drink for himself when he turns 1 on 7th Granite.  Actually I have no idea if that's true, but she seems to feel better and passed on to the spirit realm.  Whatever, lady, at least you've been properly memorialized.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

* Granite 304

Statues and beds were on Repeat.  Awesome.  There are over 100 unbuilt statues in storage here! 

I set some of these crazy Drowish animals that Darkhawk ordered for war training, and take a look at the defenses he's set up.  Enemies approaching the gate have to run a deadly gauntlet of fire-, bullet- and slade-turret fire before they even approach the warhound killing ground.  I remember hearing that the King's mad advisor, Meph, created a new way of crafting ballista arrows that increases the manufacturing yield by a factor of 9 or so, so, I decide to add some ballistae to the corridor.  Since these can only fire on one z-level, I will move the bullet turrets to a new balcony up one level.  This involves some dangerous channelling, but as a vengeful spirit, I don't really have as much compassion for useless mortal meatbags being crushed in a cave-in as I might have in the past.  Ultimately, noone actually dies, although a few meatbags are crushed a little bit. 

Wow, so many master level profession Dwarves here.  The cream of the crop in the Mountainhomes must have heard of the great successes in Angelictower, and are flocking to our new stronghold here.  In particular, the standard of metalcrafting at this fortress is amazing. 

The only armed forces consist of the 4 recruits fighting under the banner of the Bald Anvils, the heroic regiment of Angelictower.  SpaceCat, a legion axe, is recruited to join the Anvils.  I also draft an extra melee squad and start a marksmen squad to support them.  We're still maybe vulnerable to marks-enemies if they climb the hill side behind the fort, but I'm probably going to leave that particular problem for future overseers to deal with. 

Since there is a Vampire problem, I also appoint a Hammerer and make a few silver hammers.

Drink is short.  There are dwarves running out to the BROOK.  For WATER.  This is not only a security problem, but somewhat embarrassing.  We ramp up booze production quickly and also, begin the construction of an underground pond.

* Slate

We ordered more dangerous varmints and turrets from the Drow.  I'm a little surprised that Drow have the technology for turrets, but so it is.

Our animal trainers report that the dwarves of Doomedstupidity of Testing now know a few facts about Drowspider training!  Wait, that's the name of our civilization?  I'm starting to think that Ol' King Zen is a few ingots short of a foundry.

Our hunters are getting some good live action marks practice out in the countryside.  Did you know that Pangolins roll into a ball when they're terrified?  And then they skid across the ground and crash into an obstacle.  And you can shoot them dozens of times before they give into pain.  They're like nature's archery target.

Installing gem windows in nobles rooms to help provide visibility, and combat vampire attacks.  Because, if they kill the vampire, I'll finally have some interesting company here in the spirit realm.

* Felsite

Just found at the trade depot a figurine that solves the mystery of my death -- "Smakemupagus is withering away... relates to the dehydration of the Dwarf Smakemupagus,".  Case closed.  Take that, Matlock.

The pond is finished, silver wells are delved, and tame Pangolins are pastured.  I recall that living dwarves like to look at other, smaller, meatbags, because it provides a respite from the torment of their doomed and ephemeral existance.  Look upon your Pangolins, and despair.

I notice that among the heap of statues left in the storage pit, among the piles of turkeys and firesnakes, and frost-giants and octopuses, there are a number of tastefully executed statues of the Founders!  Ishar, and Ishar II, Panopticon, and myself.  Later I come across one of Zean, too.  A Pagoda of the Founders is added to the pond.  Hopefully it will distract the peasants from how bleak their sleeping and dining quarters are. 

Elf traders arrive with only 3 pack drowspiders.  Each is carrying one sauropod and one piece of cloth.  All right then, we'll take everything, I guess.  Maybe the magmacannons will be done by the time they come back next year.

*Hematite

Quite a few Migrants, including Savants or other Master craftsmen, but other than warriors and metalcrafters I'm ignoring a lot of their requests for job placement.  We need mechanics, smelting, mining, and masons for the Magmacannon, so that's what y'all are doing.

*Malachite

While the peasants toil, I visit the Anvils' barracks to see how their doing.  They've been sparring quite actively all year, and are at least beginning to resemble a shadow of the Anvils of old.  I take orders for types of equipment that's in short supply, and try to get them all the gear they want.  Of course, they all want to wield five swords in one hand and a keg of ale in the other.  The only request that I tried to veto outright was Zean's ... After promoting him to Captain of the auxilla, he decided he wanted to trade in his elegant, deadly mithril spear for an extra shield.  Appearently he once heard a story from the Ancestors of an elf wielding two shields that didn't die immediately, and even severly wounded a psychologist.  While I admit this is an impressive accomplishment for an elf, I would maintain that dwarves should perhaps aim for loftier goals, and initially turned down the order.  Over the course of the next week I caught him three separate times trying to dispose of his spear, first claiming that it was in fact a STATUE of a spear, and filing it in the statue storage annex in between section SN:(Snakes) and SW:(Swords).  Next, he was seen trying to cut it up and feed it to a Pangolin.  Finally, we caught him in the act of taking it up to the top of the volcano and tossing it into the magma cannon's windpowered pressurization chamber.  This was the last straw, if the meatbags want to sign their own death warrant that's their own business, but don't mess with the engineering.  Panopticon was happy to have the rescued spear.

*Galena

The trap corridor just defeated a goblin master thief, but the fire turrets also vaporized a pet dog who was nearby.  Not sure what to do about this, that might just be a feature of this fortress.  On the plus side, verified that the upstairs turret balcony works fine.  A week later a Gob ambush was totally devastated by the traps. A single lasher adeptly dodged the fire and bullets only to be cut down by massed crossbow volleys; neither the War animals nor the Anvils even saw any action.  The fort lost only the one peasant who spotted them.

*Limestone
The main firing channels for the magmacannon have been mined out.  Power system going in for the kompressor.  The meatbags complain of what they call "two small setbacks".  One is that we burned through all the iron to make steel armor, and now we have to quickly find up some more hematite for the magmasafe machine components.  Two, this is one of those becalmed zones where the wind only produces 20 urists of power, so we have to add a couple more windmills to the original design.  Peasants!  If you complete the cannon without interupting me with any more small setbacks, I will both allow you to toil on the vain and useless project of beautifying your own dining and living quarters, and additionally I will not have you all thrown bodily into the volcano.  The serfs return to work.

Human caravan, bought cloth and leather mostly; the peasants are tired of draping damaged, threadbare trousers upon their damaged, threadbare mortal frames.

*Sandstone

Moved a lot of the peasants back into their old rooms, carving fortifications towards the hallways so they can keep an eye for vampires though.  Not only did little Zulban (Darkhawk's kid) grow up and survive, he is now testifying that Mayor Kilrud is the vampire/murderer!  For good measure I convict the guy of another cold-case crime as well.  He's sentenced to a beating and 200 days in prison.  This might hamper our diplomatic efforts, though, I no longer care for the foolish and petty affairs of mortal Barons or Kings.

*Timber and Moonstone

Modified the Anvils uniform to wear both mail and breastplate.  Traded with the Dwarves for the dreary rudiments of existence; metals, armor, booze.  Anubite thiefs are everywhere in the countryside.  They wound several of our outdoor workers badly but I don't think any were killed before the Anvils drive them off.  Forbidding out of zone fishing .. if there's nothing in the underpond, then don't fish.  It's not worth trying to be a hero to run out there and be murdered by ancient tombdwellers on account of a handful of brook mussels.

The Magmacannon is done, but the pump installer got himself stuck outside.  Trying to mount a rescue mission, but certainly it will not be at the expense of dismounting the pumps.  The other meatbags build some kind of scaffolding inside the volcano's caldera.  It could almost be considered heroic, were it not ultimately a futile expidition to buy the poor fool a precious extra gasps of living breath before oblivion.

<< Overseer's Journal, Special addendum >>
<< Chief Engineer's Log >>

*11th Moonstone.
We finally installed the slab to put poor old Smakemupagus' ghost to rest.  The Council of Overseers are meeting in some ceremony down in the necropolis, until then, they say that the magma cannon is the main order of business for the rest of us to attend to.  They say if all goes well I'll get my own corner office right by the magma station controls, with my own bedroom made of the Blood of Armok!  Its all a Magma Engineer could ever want!  But enough about me, Ima supposed to keep my own notes here in the Fortress Tome itself for the next couple weeks!

*12th Moonstone. 
Damn fool apprentice Mechanist is rescued.  Stress test on the expanded power supply checks out.  Pressurizing the Kompressor.
*17th.
Cannon 3 primed.
*22nd.
Cannon 2 primed.
*4th Opal.
Cannon 1 primed.
This battlestation is fully operational!
*7th Opal
Well, it wouldn't hurt to test fire it just a little bit, right?
The Council of Overseers are so pleased that they asked me to join them in a special ceremony down in the Necropolis!  They're probably going to give me an engineering medal.  I saw the ceremony room this morning, it's filled with soulstones and a bloody pentagram!  I assume it's the emblems of a secret honor society.

<< Overseer's Journal, Final Remarks >>
<< Smakemupagus' Log >>

The ceremony went perfectly, it is such a relief to once again see the trees, pangolins, and rolling hills of the countryside, framed against the beautiful billowing liquid fire, once again with a new set of mortal eyes.  It is now already Obsidian, and the business of the fort is running smoothly enough.  We spend the final weeks of my rule assigning some Cave Dragons and other warbeasts to our militia, expanding the dining room, making ballista bolts and mining for some mithril.  The drow traders came late this season, so I will finally retire and allow my successor to deal with them.

** Thus ends year 304 in Demonictowers **

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6987
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:20:07 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

<< Chief Engineer's log Excerpt  >>
<< Translated from the ancient Codex:  "Magma Cannons and You!  A Foolproof* Guide"  >>

Code: [Select]
0 0 0          0 0 0          0 0 0          0 0 1          0 0 0
0 0 0          0 0 0          0 0 1          0 0 1          0 0 0
1 1 1          0 0 0          0 0 1          0 0 1          0 0 0
  1              1              1              1              0

A:  Prepare system by priming intake lines
B:  General standby
C:  Tube 1 is hot, standby to fire
D:  Fire Tube 1
E:  Emergency stop.  Note, your magmacannon is guaranteed* to never experience emergencies.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spring, 305
I know the guy is a murderer and a vampire, but a quick glance at our prison 'system' tells me it's way too barbaric to keep a prisoner like this. Dude, a cage is for animals or goblins, but a dwarf should not be put on display like a zoo animal, however serious his crime is. Work on a decent prison area has now begun.

Meanwhile, I1ve bought a few trinkets from the drow, mainly some steel and bloodsteel armor and blade shields (always liked those for some reason), with a healthy haul of plump helmets, seeds and cloth. they didn't have anything else worth of note, which is kind of disappointing.

I noticed that Panopticon just disappears from sight when the night comes. At first, I was a bit jumpy about it, suspecting another vampirism case, but turns out I was wrong: it's just that when it was his term as overseer, he had his lavish quarters built way high up in the volcano, quite near to the peak. He thought we wouldn1t notice his hedonistic lifestyle, the crafty bastard. Really, it's a huge estate with five big-ass rooms, his very own still, fully engraved marble walls and a huge tomb. Oh and it's surrounded by a magma moat, and there's a private drawbridge leading to the entrance, which can be raised from inside, effectively making this a fortress within a fortress. Honestly, the whole thing is so preposterous and so resource-wasting, it sickens me.

I want a bigger one.

(OOC: Sorry folks, this is going to take a while, I'm rather busy.)
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summer, 305 PART I
Who was in charge of setting up these turrets? This is completely wrong here: any fool with a bow could shoot right through these fortifications. What you need is a moat and some floodgates you can close. Of course, when I gave orders to set the new system up, EVERY SINGLE ONE of the stupid masons who installed the floodgates got stuck on the wrong side, locking themselves in. Now the mechanics are racing to unlock the floodgates to save the stupid fucks from starving to death.

Some shithead told me I can't use one of the forges, as it's reserved to 'our legendary weaponsmith'. I told him I'm a legendary weaponsmith myself, and also his overseer, AND I can kick his ass with both hands tied behind my back, so he kindly let me pass. Nice guy.

Work on my modest quarters began today. It may take most of the year to finish it. In the meantime, I killed a sloth bear that dared to interrupt the turret maintenance crew.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summer, 305 PART II
I used the refilling tube of cannon one to fill my moat of awesome. There are three levers in my palace now: the one next to my bed controls the personal drawbridge, the one on the left pours magma into my moat, and the one to my right is the trigger to the apocalypse: that one opens a floodgate, and gives way to that same magma to flood the whole fortress below. Funny thing is, if you turn on the magma pump for cannon #1 first, it would fill the fort laughably quickly. Still, Panopticon would be safe from the apocalypse, since his quarters are way over my own. I had an idea to wall in a single suicidal miner, and dig towards magma, but that would be too simple.

A small pile of graphite is burning in the magma moat. Oh well, it looks menacing enough, and will probably burn up in a few days. By the way, the moat is complete, but for extra security, I stationed our two war cave dragons in my entry corridor. Note to my potential enemies in the fort: it might seem easy to just flip the lever, engage the pump again, and flood my palace. However, know that if you do that, you also doom the fort, since the flood would go both ways, and basically everything is below my living space. Just a footnote, really.

Sadly, with my personal project done, there is nothing else to do around here. Out of boredom, I started smoothing every surface in te fort, starting with the military level. It goes smoothly (pun absolutely intended), since quite a lot of the folks are on stone setail duty. This might seem like an awful waste, but you need to understand that we have literally hundreds of food and booze barrels, every member of the militia is equipped with top quality gear, everybody has housi... oh. That. Okay, that's serious work, and I'm not in the mood for that.

Also, the elves are here. It's kind of late for that, since they usually come during spring, but what the hell. We could probably buy their whole caravan with all the crafts that we... what the hell. Only a few bins of gold trinkets? Seriously, previous overseers, what the fuck? I didn't bother with those, because I always presumed our treasury is full of them, as it's common practice in any serious fort. Shit. I ordered the metalcrafters to forge chromium and aluminum crafts immediately, and went down to my personal forge to throw together some patternwleded mithril greataxes - it's a bit of a waste, yes, but those things fetch a hell of a price, especially if the weapon is of good craftdwarfship, and I'm damn proud of my weaponsmithing.

Since daravans rarely arrive without some surprise 'escorts', I have two squads stationed right next to the trade depot. Unneccessary extra insurance really, the corridor of death can probably vaporize any ambush party.

The hippies have some nice cargo. I bought additional warbeasts and (of course) pangolins without any particular forethought - it's better to have them and not need them, than not having them when we actually need them for... a zoo maybe?
Also, I bought some fine mithril armor they had: mail shirts and greaves mostly. Oh, and seeds, cloth, thing like that. who knows, maybe we want to do some steeloak or ironbark farming in the future, now we can do that as well. The only thing we gave away are the couple of chrome and aluminum crafts, and roughly a half bin of gold stuff. All in all, we lost nothing valuable, and the elves could walk away with more than 20000 urists of profit. Somehow, that still wasn't enough for their diplomat, and the guy immediately left. Maybe that has something to do with Panopticon's lavafall, and the test firing of the magma cannon burning a couple of trees. Umm... sorry about that? Actually, no, fuck you, elves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]