Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Uthgururdim Telnashon Okil ☼Ishar builds crazy contraptions☼ MDF2  (Read 3994 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Well at least this derail apparently ended in a fort mascot. The majestic Pangolin. Which is completely adorable. OH MY GOD I CANT LOOK AWAY. I REGULARLY RIP KITTENS THROATS OUT BUT THIS IS TOO CUTE!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Autumn, 301
We hit a major problem building our magmapit to fuel the metalworking industry: this would definitely need magma-safe floodgates. We have none, as the stones around us are mostly schist, orthoclase and useless things like that.

I'm also dead somehow. The fuck, when did that happen? Oh well, in my brief time here in the afterlife, I guess I should reflect on my mistakes. Think about humility. About our limits in this world.

OR i could order my comrades to build a giant fucking yellow wall to intimidate our enemies. Yeah, that sounds more like me. Unfortunately, magma is still a no-go, but I set up a few smelters, so we can make use of that ridiculous amount of mithril we found. Well, not me obviously, but them. The others. You know, the ones who are not dead.

Somehow, this 'dying' thing threw me off a bit. I'm actually kind of a nice overseer now. Everybody has his/her own room, we are not starving, walls are mostly built, we have a nice dining room, and we will have a bookmaker, broken and mayor soon, with all due quarters. I don't know how this is all possible, but making every inhabitant do masonry and mining certainly helped. Okay, maybe the fact that they didn't have to build a big-ass palace for me also helped a bit. That reminds me: my body is still not buried. I guess a decent tomb with some mithril statues would look nice...

The dwarf traders came today, followed by two kobold thiefs, those was put in their place by Panopticon. Who also could be called the military of Demonictower, since NOT A SINGLE ONE of the others is drafted. At all.
Anyway, fortunately they were carrying fungiwood spores, quarry bush seeds and FINALLY some plump helmets. You don1t know how much you like them until you don't have them. So, we started carving out the underground farming area when winter arrived.

(Bollocks. My dwarf was out there, removing ramps, and the shithead trapped himself. I didn't notice until it was too late... so, way ahead of you Panopticon: how are going to kill me if I'm already dead? WHAT'S DEAD MAY NEVER DIE.)
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Winter, 301
The diplomat left, cursing as he stormed out of the fortress. Huh. I wonder what upset him, there's practically NOTHING here.

Now Smakemupagus is dead. The fuck is happening here? I must be slipping in my old age, I never lose people, and now this is the second time, and the second important person. And the first one was myself. I'm beginning to think to pass on overseeing duties to someone a bit more... focused than me.

I finally appointed a broker and bookkeeper today. Nothing special, just a random woodworker, and if anybody has a better suggestion, or would like to take on the job himself, I'm open to anything. After all, it seems all of us are equally incompetent at record keeping and trading, so it doesn't really matter.

My tomb is completed. I say it fits a leader like me: smooth marble floor, various engravings on the walls (including an exceptionally designed image of forgotten beast, which is somehow OUR symbol as a government - and they say I'm a pessimist), some potted plants, a fine marble coffin, and four mithril statues to stand guard over my material remains.

Steel production seems impossible. The smelters told me that hey need three steel bars to construct the crucible, which is used to refine iron - supposedly. That used to be the case, but then again, it used to NOT need steel, just blocks and easy stuff like that. We have something called finishing forge, and that lets them to cold hammer iron, but since the smelters can't be used to create pig iron and steel, I'm at wit's end here. Oh well, the shitload of mithril will probably be better anyway. I suppose I should have asked the liaison to bring some bars from the mountainhomes, but he left before I could ask anyway.

At least hematite smelting advanced to the point that it doesn't need the coarse iron refining process anymore. That's... good I guess? Nevertheless, we have iron. That's a rock solid statement.

With all hope of steel lost, I ordered the smiths to forge equipment at least for Panopticon, our single soldier. He will have a mithril spear, round shield, breastplate, greaves, helmet, gauntlets and high boots. I don't have any illusions, that will certainly not be done by the end of the year, but I hope the next overseer will agree with me that it's pretty important to have our army in top-quality gear, considering these two circumstances:
- We can afford it
- The smiths don't have anything else to do really
- HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN HOLD A WEAPON HERE ARGH WE ARE SO DEAD

If/when this is done, the freshly smelted iron should be used to construct floodgates, as means of FINALLY filling that magma reservoir.

For the record: there was another kobold thief near the end of winter, but this one got away. as far as I can tell, he didn't grab anything. By the way, I sent out Panopticon to gut another pangolin instead. You MAY be able to stop that. If you want. If not, and you are a real monster, there's also a tapir nearby. Just saying.

Things I left unfinished:
- The entry bridge is NOT linked to any lever, so it is NOT retractable. Fix it ASAP, it slipped my mind somehow.
- SOMETHING should be done with our military. More precisely: our lack of one.
- Bars clutter our workshops, no metal/fuel storage is designated. There wasn't enough time for that.
- No bins. Not a single one.
- Alcohol situation is stable, but could be better.
- I don't have a clue where Smake's body is, so he's not buried. Also not memorialized, I didn't have time for another tomb after my fancy one.
- The graveyard is dug out (north of the refuse and corpse stockpiles), but no coffins there. Again, lack of time.
- Hematite and mithril vein partially explored, those should be waaay deeper, so explore at your leisure.
- There's a furnished, but unoccupied estate on the military level. I wanted that for myself, but I guess I don't have use for it in the afterlife. Finders keepers.
- The big room on that same level was supposed to be military training area, that's also unfininshed. I guess you could throw in an armor stand and call it a day, but please don't do that. Do something flambouyant with that room.
- The designated, but not mined room on the same level was to be an archery training room. No archers, so I abandoned that idea.
- There are non-magma metalworking facilities. Abandon these when you have access to magma, maybe go as far as removing them completely. I set a few orders on repeat here, don't forget those, or the dumb fuckers will burn through our coal supply - which should be used for steel in the long run, if we ever pull that off.
- There are bedrooms, but not enough now. A few of the residents are left without a proper room.
- The levers on the intended magmapool level are not connected to anything. They are intended for the floodgates, which, I can't stress this enough, SHOULD BE MAGMA SAFE or we all die.

Save folder

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

<< Ghost Smakemupagus' Ethereal Musings >>

So... dwarves are dependant on imports now to kickstart steel?  It's a good thing my ancestor Smakemupagus , the legendary forgemaster of Angelictower, will never learn of this travesty ... Someday when the records of the last days of that fortress are found, we'll know whether he died clawing his way into Hell at the helm of a dreadnaught golem in the eerie pits deep below Angelictower... or worse yet are the stories true, that was he left to tend the last embers of the great forges alone as the great Heroes of that place were one by one lost to darkness...

I should probably focus on the fact that I'm dead now too ... Is hard to concentrate as a ghost ...  Sometimes I wonder about my own mysterious death - was it another mining accident?  was it pangolin related? ... Fortunately Judge Dreddopticon is on the case so I know vengance will be swift...

... maybe I can find Ghost Ishar and ask what his secret to getting reincarnated so many times is ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Maybe... just maybe... I should have mentioned this:
Smelter smelts all ore.
Metallurgist makes all alloys. That includes steel.
Coarse Iron has been removed, as requested by poll.
Crucible works totally fine, nothing is wrong with it, it just makes completely different stuff now.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Panopticon's Journal
Spring

Welp, looks like Ishar sentenced himself to "Dwarven Prison" and starved or something. Smake has dissapeared as well, so I guess it is down to me to run the place till Ishar reincarnates or someone else takes over. I've taken to stabbing animals as training, it is practical and feeds the fort.

Ishar's plan to tap the volcano for magma seems sound, possibly fatal to anyone involved but sound. I've ordered Iron Floodgates made to control the flow once it is breached. With only 14 of us this project is slow.

Migrants, thank Armok, we need more laborers
A pair of dwarfs claiming Legion skill have arrived as well, one of them appears to be Ishar doing his usual reincarnation thing, the other boasts the name "Darkhawk", I knew a Darkhawk from before, and this one does not appear to be empowered by forces from beyond our realm, so I am operating on the assumption that this is a coincidence, I drafted them and a recruit named Lur who wants to use the spear for now to bulk out the military.

Got a Priest of Armok and a medical trained dwarf as well, so we can fill out some office vacancies, which is nice.

Darkhawk also claims some skill with the crossbow and likes to hunt a bit, I think my technique works faster though.

Work proceeds, much more swiftly than before thanks to our migrants, and before we know it the Elves are here!

This is problematic, I don't think we have anything to trade, well let's see I guess.

As suspected, we had little to offer, however I've always wanted an Umber hulk, so we used alternate methods to acquire their goods.

Ishar got taken with the crazy thoughts, and claimed a forge for himself, he is a weaponsmith so here is hoping for something cool.

What could Ishar make? Will the military succeed at anything besides wildlife devastation, does Panopticon care about finding beds for the citizenry? Who will be incinerated by an unending tide of magma?

Find out next update on MDF2: Demonictower the Most Bloodiness of Testing: Pangolin Panic! Or: Honey, I melted the beekeeper.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Panopticon's Journal, Summer.

Ishar made an Iron Knuckle Duster, this is amazingly useless.

Our "trading" with the elves made me realize that we need more trade goods, it appears we have lots of Mithril, so started production on that.

The magma flows! One of the engravers who carved the fortifications, Erush, took a little dip in the magma during the work, but he appears to be fine, on fire, but fine. Another Potter, whose name I already forgot wasn't so lucky, being incinerated in an instant.

I am getting reports of Smakemupagus walking the halls, pretty sure he is dead so that is worrying.

Also worrying, the mechanisms that the floodgates are hooked up to apparently need to be magma safe as well, they have melted and detached. Hopefully this won't matter.

Construction has begun on my personal quarters, as well as on the magma industry, smelters are going up now and the old ones are being torn down, next the forges will be installed.

Autumn is here.

Questions were asked, questions were answered, sometimes the same questions. Will Smakemupagus ever find an end to his torment? Does the militia have armor? Why did we get no human caravan? All the questions and more shall be considered next time on MDF2: Uthgururdim Telnashon Okil: Who oversees the Overseer? Or: I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ishar's journal
Useless, they say... crappy weapon, they say - I'll show them! Okay, maybe this one knuckle duster is not the best weapon ever crafted, but the things I've learned from this project... the weapon I'll forge...! They will know, and they will be sorry!

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Panopticon's journal, Autumn.

Digging on my quarters continues, soon they shall be secure.

Work progresses, we have a few forges now. My quarters are fully dug out and partially furnished, work begins to smooth them, the magma moat is dug as well and soon will begin flowing, the bridge is hooked up, soon my rooms will be the most secure place in the fort.

More migrants, an armorer is amongh them, excellent, we can finally get some higher quality armor in here.

We have about a six who keep heading outside the fort to fish, don't they know it can be dangereous out there? We have meat and vegetables, I suspended fishing for now, perhaps we can work on getting an internal water source at some point.

A Sloth Bear has been bothering people outside, they are known for their easy going nature but I am not convinced, forward the bald anvils!

Lur got there first and cut its head off with a dagger he found somewhere, I thought I told him to use a spear like me, hmm.

A mason took with a mood, he is making something out of three jugs, 2 pieces of granite, and some fur, this should be hilarious.

... And it's an earring, I don't even know what to say to that.

Patternwelded Mithril production is on now, but it will likely be a little while before we have enough to do anything with it.

Hah! A Kobald thief showed up and was immediately mobbed by the 10 or so War Dogs stationed at the gate, that was some good times. The event announced the annual caravan from the mountainhomes, time to trade!

The magma flows around my apartments! finally securing the place. I was concerned about overflowing and ruining my floors so I had an escape hole for the magma to flow down the mountainside, I do not believe this will cause problems in the future at all.

Hauling all the crap to the Depot is taking forever, we need more bins.

Winter is upon us.

Will the lava flow cause a problem in the future? Will Panopticon remember that there is no pause on the seasonal autosave? How do you make an earring out of a jug? All this and more next time on MDF2: Demonictower the Most Bloodiness of Testing: Change of Command, or: Howe I learned to stop worrying and love the Umber Hulk.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Panopticon's Journal, Winter.

Welp, I stopped paying attention and Winter is half complete. Quick, do something, err, expand the forge levels! Make some ore stockpiles, Get some wheelbarrows in em! Dammit ghost of Smakemupagus, I don't have time for you now!

OUr equipment situation is fairly sad at the moment, everyone seems to have found a shield and a weapon, but that is about it. Darkhawk is using a tungsten long sword he found somewhere, I told Ishar to use his artifact as a sort of punishment until we can make something better, and Lur refuses to let go of his dagger. Can't do much about it till the mithril production hits its stride, hopefully with the new closer stockpiles that should help.

Booze is short, we need more barrels though, ordered production of stone ones, and a few wood. I don't care if they are heavy, we have lots of stone and not a ton of wood.

We need a better source of trade craft metal, during the building of the stairs to my quarters we uncovered what turns out to be a huge gold vein. That will do nicely.

The Drow are here to trade, to celebrate, the dogs ate another Kobold.

Well, that was pretty useless, they brought nothing worth getting aside from an Umber Hulk and a bit of food, it's for the best though, we are low on trade goods again.

Spring is here, and as is tradition I must step aside for someone else. The fort is in good shape, though more Mithril must be mined out, I had a few pattern welded mithril weapons made: A Zweihander, Spear, and a Greataxe, but they haven't been assigned yet. We have a Legionnaire and a Fighter among the recent migrants who haven't been recruited either. Steel production has been started as well, so we should have some options shortly.

All questions have been answered, or ignored, the only one remaining is: Where is the save? Look here! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6962

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Darkhawks Journal, spring 303, scorching shivs, dwarfen outpost "Uthgururdim", Demonictower

Now I am in charge. I still get question about what happened at Besmeral, or "Angelictower", and how i survived it. Noone will know, but i bet a dwarfen team is already on the search in the ruins of this place.

A walk around this place reveals a dwarfen outpost capable of defending and sustaining itself.

I looked over our military supplies. They are not up to par. While we have a decent amounts of weapons, which i have already assigned (two spears for Ishar and Pan, one Zweihänder for me, a longsword for the nobody), our armoury isnt exactly filled with protective gear. Solving this is now priority number one. Right after digging out more quarters and searching for things we need.

We are at 69 Dwarfs now, and the same number of drinks.... Thats not good, ive ordered another still to be build. Also, i want to club my predecessor to death. Every dwarf had too many labors assigned, thats not effective, no. If Besmeral taught me anything, then that having spare workers to quickly fill positions is a good thing.

The drow diplomat approached me and asked what they should bring next year. Steelclad sauropods, Ironclad sauropods, Giant cave spiders, Giant bark scorpions, Giant desert scorpions, turrets, chinchillas. That should do the trick. I also ordered pangolins. I want them in this fort, it will be a pangolin heaven! I think my sucessors will budger them though. Now Iam sad.

Our Wardog pasture is too small, the dogs started clawing eachother after giving birth.  I put some of the dogs in a cage, proper storage i feel.
I also made a big pasture room for the rest of our animals. I dont want them running around in the fort.

Our bone doctor entered a fey mood. Lets see what he wants, i think we have everything possible. He took one granite boulder and is now working, i dont expect something good.

Its a bracelet, hurray, i will make a display box with it.

I made a "museum" with all our artifacts. I dont count knuckle dusters as weapons, so i put it in there too. If someone wants it, its there, you can take it.

Migrants, awesome, i have.... no use for them at all. But okay, come in, have a cookie. Wait, one of them is a legendary metalcrafter, neat, you can stay. Also, a golem, which now guards the main entrance.

The elves are here. Will they bring something useful? I dont know, i will write more later.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uthgururdim Telnashon Okil ☼For the great Pangolin!☼ MDF2
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »

Statues now mark the graves in our new graveyard, and im thinking about a proper use of the (hell)fireturrets, i will come up with something, possibly a emergency plan to burn the whole "ground"level with the entrance.

After having a discussion about weaponry with Ishar, i ordered a patternwelded mithril long sword for him. I also ordered another forge to be build, so we can give it to our armourer. Four sets of patternwelded armour (plus another four for eventual new recruits) should be a good amount for our military.

Its summer.

A bar stockpile on the forge level should speed up metalworking processes. Iam also thinking about a marksdwarf squad, but i have no idea how to use them in this terrain, turrets seem to be the better choice here.

sooooo, riddle me this: Are elves really that stupid to come to this fort with 4 (in words: FOUR) items? Well, two ironclad sauropods and two barrels of booze, nice to have, but bring more, you hippys.

I ordered pangolins, surprised?

Well, no pangolins, the diplomat left unhappy.... Damn, i didnt like him anyway.

More armour, some nestboxes to breed our various animals, digging for ore, digging for places to sleep, preparing to build a timberyard to supply us with beds. Im a busy bee.

A great magmaforge and a crucible now complete the forge level. More metalworking for our workers.

Our metalcrafter is possesed. That ought to be good, we have quite valuable materials.... Lets see what he gathers.

steel bar, so it will be made of steel

Goddamn you migrants, you are interrupting me while iam doing serious stuff!

armadillo bones, okay, may be interesting
a cut amethyst, wonderful choice, they are lovely. This one is cut briolette.... Im not sure what that means, but its a nice gem.
another amethyst.... this guy is a metalcrafter, right?
a roll of cloth, okay, it will be comfy.... with gems, and it will be worth alot.
more bones, this guy will make something enourmes.... i hope for an earring, complete with all the stuff hanging from it.

He finally stopped hoarding and begins working on his thing.

A spinner has been found, completely drained of blood.... damn, a vampire. The moment someone sees him, i will have him killed. If he gets one of our useful dwarfs, that will be a huge lost.

Its a steel goblet, worth... i dont know, our broker is incompetent.... But on it is a image of a dwarf getting killed by a giant cave oger.... Damn, that metalcrafter has some serious issues. However, i put the goblet in our museum, its nice.

The humans have arrived. Lets see what they got. If they are as incompetent as the elves, i might provokate a war, because we would get more stuff from an army then from traders....

A snatcher.... close to the golem, that may be fun, if the goblin slows down, he is toast.
Uhhh, he got away, but his friend decloaked right behind the golem and was torn apart by him and an wardog.... that was bloody, but win for the dwarfes.

I got some meat, fish, pistols, muskets, ammunition, hand cannons and two tower shields. I will order pistols, muskets, ammo and tower shields. The platestuff seems to be large, so i dont bother with it.

Another dead gobbo. More to come tomorrow, I will try to start tinkering and engineering.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:42:38 pm by Firehawk45 »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ishar's Journal
Now that the great magma forge is up, I wonder how volcanic alloy measures up to our patternelded mithril. If it's not much better, it may not worth the trouble, as it's very resource-consuming.
Also, there has been a strange murder recently... Darkhawk suspects a vampire, and frankly, I hope that's true. It's been pretty dull around here.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Panopticon's Journal,

A vampire, I have heard the stories of course but I had no idea I would see one in my lifetime. I don't know how to defend myself, I suppose if it gets too bad I can always lock myself in my quarters upstairs. They are self sufficient and all. But wait, what if I am the vampire? Then I would starve!

It occurs to me that I eat food, therefore cannot be a vampire, perhaps we should start starving all the recent migrants and seeing who doesn't get thirsty for booze or whatever. This would be a good way to inconvenience spies as well as put those migrants in their place when they arrive. Let em know who's boss. I will run my plan by Darkhawk.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

A discarded page from a manual on metals
... should be sufficient. While mithril is undoubly lighter then all other metals, it cannot match the fprce and stability of volcanic. In the end, our great dwarven gnerals have to make a choice, between agile and fast moving squads, or massively armored, but slower squads. The properties of r.....
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 [2] 3