Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cancels Construct Building: Creature occupying site  (Read 1307 times)

Thudde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cancels Construct Building: Creature occupying site
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »

Is it just me, or do masons stand on a wall to build it a lot now?  I never had this problem before, but now maybe 1 / 20 spots.  At first I thought it was a pet, but nope...its the mason himself (herself/dwarfself?) standing on the spot and cancelling his/her own construction.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: cancels Construct Building: Creature occupying site
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:06:53 pm »

Yep, it's a widely-known bug.  Dwarves apparently lost a few brain cells in the transition.

The only thing to do is to cancel the current designation and make a new one, as if you unsuspend it they'll continue to keep standing on it and trying to build.  A new one generally causes them to rethink their positions.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:09:34 pm »

Yup, frequent problem in the recent versions of DF.  The only solution appears to be to cancel construction, and start over and hope for the best.  It has to do I think with a change in the way dwarves decide what side of a wall to build it from in order to cut down on self-entombment.  I think it has to do with constructing from a direction closest to that from which the building material came from.  Or at least that's what I read somewhere,  I'm fuzzy on the details.

I once had a spot of wall built up against a cliff that my dwarves refused to build properly, and so I resorted to deconstructing the nearby sections of wall and starting on the troublesome one first so that the dwarf would have a good place to stand.  This worked, and the rest of the wall sections were rebuilt without issue.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:15:56 pm »

The workaround I found helpful is:
1) Cancel construction
2) Forbid the item used for construction (so dwarf does not try it again)
3) Unpause and let dwarf walk-off of the tile
4) Designate your wall to be built
5) Wait for Urist to accept the job ('q' over the wall will not display "Construction Inactive")
6) Unforbid the block from step 2

I think it happens when you "rapidly designate new construction", and Urist happens to be standing on the spot you designated e.g. when building a multi-level wall.

Thankfully I haven't had to pierce an aquifer yet...

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 01:25:20 am »

Very annoying while you're trying to wall your fortress out of the caverns and troglodites are attacking your just drafted militia.
I breached a cavern just 10-z levels underground...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 02:50:11 am »

Ramps tend to be a big cause of this. The workaround I use is to cancel the construction, build a grate over the ramp/an empty space (if there isn't any ramp) next to the site, and then designate the construction again.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 06:58:39 am »

1. Remove adjacent ramps.

2. Cancel the construction if it fails again, and re-designate.