Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blackspace - (Kickstarter) Asteroid mining "RTS" from a third-person perspective  (Read 3842 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1035580424/blackspace-plan-dig-defend-survive?ref=category
Hey, it's Kickstarter again!

Anyway, Blackspace is, in their words, a "defensive action/strategy game" where you hop between asteroids and build bases. Does it sound terribly interesting? Not quite.

What makes it interesting, however, are the details. The asteroid is totally destructible save the very core of it, and most everything that pops out can be sold or used somehow. You can reclaim parts from destroyed structures and enemies to give you even more money to kill even more enemies. The enemies come down in dropships, then build bases on ore deposits for mining, just to make more enemies to kill you. The game is played from the perspective of the lander: a powerful craft capable of heavy mining and fighting on its own, but it can also pick up and toss things around (even put them in orbit!) or rethink where you want to put your buildings.

The asteroid is round. There's no corners to hide on. You either surround your base with defenses or die. It's similar to Planetary Annihilation, and they even mention that a round planet was a new idea until PA came along, but they didn't mind. Your units will be more autonomous than most RTSs, doing things on their own. From what I've read, it seems that they get produced on their own, but you can also force some production. They get their own jobs without requiring you to babysit them.

It also has its own backstory blah blah, that's at the bottom of the Kickstarter page :P

Also worth mentioning: this isn't some shaky concept of a game, there's a functioning version of it right now, they just need money so they turn to Kickstarter (like Castle Story).

Spoiler: Screenshots 'n stuff (click to show/hide)

They're expecting to release a package of mini-games around this winter, then the alpha in the spring of 2013, then the beta in the summer and hopefully the full game late summer. They'll work on specific dates later.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:59:00 am by Jacob/Lee »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Blackspace - Asteroid mining "RTS" from a third-person perspective
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 09:57:30 pm »

Looks interesting, but looks too high-graphics for me.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:10:17 am »

Backed.

What's interesting is I saw this post last night, briefly checked the kickstarter page, and decided I'd pass on it...
Then I saw CHKilroy put a YouTube video up about it and actually watched it. It took the video to sell it to me. I figure I can toss 35 smackaroos towards this, no problem.

All that said: if you are not convinced try watching their video if you have not already.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:44:09 am »

reminds me a bit of "fragile allegiance", some 4x rts asteroid "basebuilding/mineing/kill your enemy asteroids" game that i liked alot years ago (wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragile_Allegiance).

maybe this will be some "spiritual sucessor (?)" or something...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:42 am »

These games sound really exciting to me, but I've come to realise that they just feel like grinding to me. Learning the new Lunar Lander was absolutely awesome, but after a few missions it's pretty much all the same. You're grinding away, alone at your computer, for the next little unlock. It becomes meh to me... so I'm holding out on this one.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52:07 am »

I feel like the title should probably have "Kickstarter" in it somewhere. Reading it as it is now got me a little bit too excited and now I need a new set of underwear.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Added.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hehe, I like how the thread dies when I add "Kickstarter" to the title.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Goddamnit, I don't have any money to spend on more kickstarters!
But this one also sounds neat!
But I'm not going to have enough for XCOM (or other games from recent release or soon-to-be released, like Torchlight II) if I back yet another.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hehe, I like how the thread dies when I add "Kickstarter" to the title.
quick, edit it out!
Heh

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile

I am in love with this game already.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It looks great. Maybe too great. I don't want to get my hopes high up.