Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your Evil Weather  (Read 4495 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Your Evil Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 07:10:33 am »

During my first few failures to claim/reclaim my fortress, it was constantly raining elf blood. I'm not certain what the side effects are, but it was certainly creepy seeing the entire area bathed in elf blood. Not to mention my dwarves constantly wanting to wash. I ended up losing the fort to giant zombie wrens.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 07:14:38 am »

I believe blood alone gives bad thoughts But i had goo that made dwarves passout while they necrosis parts... what a good combo..

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 07:35:14 am »

I suppose I'd prefer lasting challenges to "oh, another SimBunker embark. Frantically getting everything safely locked underground, after which any threats are going to be trivial forever".

As it is, the severity of threats often forces drastic measures, but competently executed drastic measures are too effective at removing challenge entirely.
An analogy would be a RTS meant to be very challenging and complex... which is, however, unbeatable unless you rush the AI with a rather limited scope for variation. If I have to hold back to make things fun, holding back shouldn't cripple me.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 07:38:45 am »

Horrorfailed has this mix of ooze and fetid muck which alone are mostly harmless blisters. Together they make dwarves rot from the outside in while they're still conscious and spewing miasma around the fort. Even better, half the map is covered in it.

As a result, Horrorfailed has never had +15 dwarves living in it at once, and it's been going for 6 or so turns now.

Personally, the worst I had was instant husk clouds.  Currently my fort in "The Forest of Itches" has thick clouds of disgusting flies...I can see why the forest was termed itchy.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 11:19:26 am »

As it is, the severity of threats often forces drastic measures, but competently executed drastic measures are too effective at removing challenge entirely.
An analogy would be a RTS meant to be very challenging and complex... which is, however, unbeatable unless you rush the AI with a rather limited scope for variation. If I have to hold back to make things fun, holding back shouldn't cripple me.

That's a good point.

The default setting I guess is "hard mode" right now, where you get no warning about approaching rain clouds, and zombies just hang around on the map. If zombies migrated, and we got more warning about rain clouds, then there would be more strategy on the surface then just "rush underground".

But hard-mode should still exist !!

Shash The Stampede

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Typhoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 12:03:01 pm »

Purple rain? Any sign of zombie Prince?

Is it possible to mod in even stranger rain/clouds? Like magma,  stone/bar/bone, creature rain? Or clouds that make dwarves go berserk for a time but otherwise don't adversely affect them.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 12:08:02 pm »

Thrall weathers are common, or atleast they used to be.

In all the worlds I've generated (adjusting the values to try and get thrall/husk clouds and such) I've never seen either of them.

Lots of "cloud passes over, and everything it touches bleeds to death instantly" and blood rains, but nothing else.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:13 pm »

I think I got a rain that blistered people. I don't tend to play evil anymore, because I like aboveground towns... and well, the weather stuff in Evil biomes can make that basically impossible...

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 05:34:27 pm »

My current fortress, Glazeoiled, has purple unholy dust clouds that cause extreme blistering on every internal and external body part. Limbs, lungs, eyes, brains, fingers, guts. All blistered. Everything thats been touched by the cloud dies in about 15 seconds. And it leaves little piles of dust everywhere that kills anything not wearing shoes. It wouldn't be so bad except for all the necromancers...
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 05:59:28 pm »

During my first few failures to claim/reclaim my fortress, it was constantly raining elf blood. I'm not certain what the side effects are, but it was certainly creepy seeing the entire area bathed in elf blood. Not to mention my dwarves constantly wanting to wash. I ended up losing the fort to giant zombie wrens.

Wouldn't you be happy if your fortress was covered in elf blood? I mean, it is going to get covered in it anyway, this one is just faster.
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 06:03:14 pm »

The worst rains I've had have all been blistering - one which blistered every external body part so bad one person went blind from blisters on his eyeballs,

That's that fabulous slime that you posted about in the, "What's going on in your fort?" thread, right? Arguably, all the purple makes up for that.

Ayup.  Sadly that fort got lost due to numerous mod tests and random save deletions.  I shall miss all the purple. ):  I seem to get a lot of purple evil rains though, it's kind of cool.

Blind dwarves are less dumb than sighted ones.

You would think that, until he couldn't kill anything running away from him because he couldn't see it.  Watching someone chase a fleeing animal down 50 zlevels and across the caverns catching up numerous times but never actually being able to attack it is just sad.
Thrall weathers are common, or atleast they used to be. Whats really interesting is what type of weather it is. I once had goblin vomit rain, which probably is the worst type Ive seen.
Use blind meleedwarves and signed marksdwarves.

Thrall weathers are common, or atleast they used to be. Whats really interesting is what type of weather it is. I once had goblin vomit rain, which probably is the worst type Ive seen.
There's only vomit vomit, you're lying or misremembering.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »

You can get pseudo-evil weather by embarking somewhere where it's hot enough to kill dwarves when it rains, though you need to tweak worldgen and raise the max temperature to do this and then look for a site which reads No Trade for the friendly races in the neighbours tab.

It might even claim more lives overall due to the lack of a first-month panic lockdown, and a steady stream of deaths rather than a single catastrophic security breach.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 06:46:12 pm »

acid rain... or rather, it seemed to be. there bits of flesh and blood just sliding off of the poor dwarves who went outside. eyeballs melting out of their skulls... it rained almost constantly. evil swamps, feels bad man.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.
Pages: 1 [2]