Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your Evil Weather  (Read 4516 times)

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
Your Evil Weather
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:25 pm »

What is the worst evil weather you have ever had?

Mine was an evil dust storm that immediately killed anyone/anything it touches, and immediately necros it. Whats worse is that this during my terrifying glacier with only a plump helmet and a copper pick on embark, with all peasants.
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Your Evil Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »

I'd say the worst is the instant thrall/husk clouds.  Had two embarks with those, one got a flock of ravens.  I never opened the surface again.  The other got my livestock before I could even dig my hole.  That fort lasted maybe a grand total of five minutes.

The worst rains I've had have all been blistering - one which blistered every external body part so bad one person went blind from blisters on his eyeballs, and another which also blistered every external body part but also caused uncontrollable vomiting.  So much vomit, everywhere.  They were surprisingly good about cleaning the inside of the fort of vomit, though.

I almost always exclusively embark in evil biomes nowadays just to see what weather I get.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »

Insta-husking murk that blows straight in to my half open air fort. It was the second cloud too.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:36:55 pm »

The worst rains I've had have all been blistering - one which blistered every external body part so bad one person went blind from blisters on his eyeballs,

That's that fabulous slime that you posted about in the, "What's going on in your fort?" thread, right? Arguably, all the purple makes up for that.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »

Blind dwarves are less dumb than sighted ones.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »

The worst rains I've had have all been blistering - one which blistered every external body part so bad one person went blind from blisters on his eyeballs,

That's that fabulous slime that you posted about in the, "What's going on in your fort?" thread, right? Arguably, all the purple makes up for that.

Ayup.  Sadly that fort got lost due to numerous mod tests and random save deletions.  I shall miss all the purple. ):  I seem to get a lot of purple evil rains though, it's kind of cool.

Blind dwarves are less dumb than sighted ones.

You would think that, until he couldn't kill anything running away from him because he couldn't see it.  Watching someone chase a fleeing animal down 50 zlevels and across the caverns catching up numerous times but never actually being able to attack it is just sad.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:03:40 pm »

The land raised the dead.

The weather caused internal bleeding and exploded lungs.

The dust created thralls.

'twas the best embark I ever had!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:02:58 am »

Thrall weathers are common, or atleast they used to be. Whats really interesting is what type of weather it is. I once had goblin vomit rain, which probably is the worst type Ive seen.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:29 am »

I once had goblin vomit rain, which probably is the worst type Ive seen.
Kind of makes me wonder why those dwarves decided to build a fortress in there. Did one of them just thing: Hmm, Vomit. this seems like a nice spot for our future home.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 01:15:11 am »

You are pretending like the immediate area outside of the mountain-homes isn't already covered with vomit. Probably reminded them of their old home. All they need to do now is add magma and blood.
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 02:38:25 am »

You are pretending like the immediate area outside of the mountain-homes isn't already covered with vomit. Probably reminded them of their old home. All they need to do now is add magma and blood.
..We need !!Vomit!! rain that doesn't evaporate because of the !!. I have to remember to try modding that sometime.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 03:32:47 am »

Ah, I'm glad my clouds only put things to sleep.  8)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 04:04:04 am »

Rain that seemed normal, but was so hot it melted all my dwarves.
I may by thinking of ordinary rain a few versions ago.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 04:07:27 am »

Does anyone else wish evil biome effects were a little more subtle?
There are hilarious mishaps once in a while, but "don't expose anything to it ever" is actually a little dull gameplay-wise and annoying when dwarven stupidity makes your perfect safety measures not work even though they should.

I think it'd be cool if the effects were barely noticeable untils years in.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 06:10:52 am »

I got this bug here that sometimes mixes my Creeping Murk clouds with the Acrid Ooze rain. At embark, my rain husks things, then for the next ~2 years it just knocked unconscious. But now, in the 3rd year I'm again seeing some undead being converted into "Giant Thrip Creeping Murk Zombie corpse".

I can see where some people don't like it, but I the tension of "walking the line" trying to grab things off the surface and survive.
It took me 15 embarks to get setup, but I accepted the challenge.
Pages: [1] 2