Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Game reviews from 2050  (Read 5535 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Game reviews from 2050
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 11:02:34 pm »

So I heard about this new "dwarf Fortress" game. Apparently, some dude was working on this his whole life without stopping, until he finally keeled over from natural causes. Looking at this game (and you will have to look pretty hard, since the graphics are older than radio), I'm surprised it took him that long to do it, considering he must have been living off of Red Bull Super and whatever potato chips were big Pre-war.

The reason I'm saying that is because despite the game looking like a word processor spazzing out it basically ate my HD whole and almost fried my graphics card. I'm payed to play games, so those are pretty BA cards, and I was confused as to why this happened. Eventually I'd come to find out that by limiting the Framerate I could run it and oh my god what is going on.

It took me a week to figure out how to dig a hole. It took me another week to figure out food. It took me a third week to actually survive the first year. But by that time, I wasn't seeing the word-salad graphics. I started seeing dwarves. I started seeing animals. I started seeing goblins, who immediately reamed my defenses like I was playing on hardcore. That's when I realized the game was entirely in iron-man mode and I just really lost for realsies.

After sobbing, I restarted and decided to work on bigger defenses. I built a thick wall; the goblins paused for abit and tunneled beneath. I built a moat; the goblins built a little bridge and busted open the crude drawbridge I had erected. I trained a squad of warrior dwarves in full armor. There were ten of them, and nine died.

You see, the thing that makes Dwarf Fortress interesting is that despite looking like dog shit (I cannot stress this enough the GAME HAS NO GRAPHICS AT ALL. AND IT FRIED MY CARD) things happen that when you can finally figure out what's going on, well, it's obscenely fun.

All in all, I'll give it a 7/10. I would rate it a 10/10, but after sitting latched onto my PC like a leech for a month and a half I need glasses and a new desktop. That was a Exabyte drive, dammit.

Regardless, it's a game that's hard to get into and even harder to let go. If you feel like taking a break from TES XI: Falreach's misty forests, or Elementals speedy gameplay, Dwarf Fortress is worth a try. Because, get this, it's free. And not just because the creator is dead. He seems to have lived off of donations, which says something about people in the good old days. Back in the 2010's, when life was easy and simple.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have just found a upright sword buried deep in my fort and I want to see what its stats are. Adamantine is good, I think.
Its tuff like this that makes me wonder what Toady will eventually put in that is worse then the circus.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 12:55:12 pm »

I love to think that when you find that sword and your dwarves grab it, one of your dwarves gets sucked into the hole beneath it and can't be pulled out. When they finally get him out, he's just a pair of legs. At the same time, one of your new migrants (who probably looks like Scott Glenn, except a dwarf) wakens up in the middle of the night with light coming out of his eyes. He is the avatar of a god that has managed to sneak into your fortress unnoticed, and now seeks the great adamantine sword to defeat a terrible and infinitely powerful demon. He enlists an army of followers and enters your command - it is up to you and him to save the world.

It requires Tangerine Dream to make sense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsWk2aGYvxM

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 03:54:01 pm »

Saying a game has 1970 graphics would be like us saying a game has 1930 graphics: Absurdly horrible.
DF takes it's graphics from Code Page 437, so the graphics can be said to be from ~1981.  He can't be talking about tilesets, because the heretics were purged in 2041 in the Fourth Great Flame War.

some demented old twat
I just found out that the page for Scamps is much longer than the page for ToadyOne.  Knowing cats, this is just the way it should be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 05:27:34 pm »

There weren't even computers until the 40s, so my analogy is apt.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »

Saying a game has 1970 graphics would be like us saying a game has 1930 graphics: Absurdly horrible.
DF takes it's graphics from Code Page 437, so the graphics can be said to be from ~1981.  He can't be talking about tilesets, because the heretics were purged in 2041 in the Fourth Great Flame War.

When tilesets are outlawed, only outlaws will run tilesets.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 12:49:37 pm »

And ladies love outlaws.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »

And ladies love outlaws.
"Oh yeah, I just love a man who uses Tilesets. What a bad boy. Here, Come sleep with me"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 03:52:15 pm »

"Oh yeah, I just love a man who uses Tilesets. What a bad boy. Here, Come sleep with me"

--> ooc thread.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 09:31:09 pm »

And ladies love outlaws.
"What's your tileset baby? What's your tileset?"
"Oh God, Oh god, yes! yes! Phoebus! Mayday! MAYDAAAAAY"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 09:47:57 pm »

And ladies love outlaws.
"What's your tileset baby? What's your tileset?"
"Oh God, Oh god, yes! yes! Phoebus! Mayday! MAYDAAAAAY"
And lets not even get started about those DF map readers that create 3D landscapes. OH MAN, that shit is NASTY.
Pages: 1 [2]