Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Max size embark that works?  (Read 2631 times)

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
Re: Max size embark that works?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »

It sounds like max embark is determined by ram availability and usage. Regarding fps though, would a large area really be that taxing? You'll just be surrounded by a few more trees, some more liquid
in a river or below ground. Compared to the strain a growing fortress adds, the size of an embark doesn't sound as rough on fps as it's made out to be. If DF has the ram to go around, couldn't you have an 8x8 or whatever, with no real issues?

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 10:28:27 pm »

(Note:  Even at 350,000 fps, high evil high savage areas are still near impossible to survive in.  Kinda neat.

~400000 frames in a year, right?  That can't be playable if you were really getting that rate.  Or you're a cyborg :)

I will admit to it being summer before I realize the game has fully loaded a few times, yes.  ;)

The game becomes more of a hands off, long term affair at this speed.  It's kind of neat, really.  For example, it's far easier to tell my woodcutter to just plow down an entire forest than constantly have to re-designate stuff.

One thing I have noticed now that I can worldgen REALLY quickly (standard settings worldgens in about 2-4 minutes) is that sometimes, well, things get "weird" at worldgen.  For example, the last 3 worlds I've genned, I've gone "Minerals:  Everywhere", and in those 3 worlds, not a SINGLE spot on the map has had flux stone.  Of any kind.  In the entire world.  This is actually nearly consistent with a Minerals: Everywhere world configuration.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 11:12:46 pm »

Flux stone isn't a mineral.

Also, try capping your FPS at 10,000 and then see what you're getting. You are probably not getting 350,000 FPS; the FPS counter is a bit normalized, so it will go down smoothly instead of showing your exact current FPS.
Pages: 1 [2]